mtbr member

Pls help with first wheelset....

I am hoping I can get some guidance from you all. I own an 08 pitch pro and would like to get new wheels. Looking for something lighter than what comes stock, also hoping for less than $700.00 on both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, does the wheelset you recommend require modifying anything or is it pretty much ready to be installed?

A couple newbie questions if your still reading....... Do I get new hubs with the wheels or do I need to have mine swapped? What about my front 20mm thru axle, do I need to look for wheelsets built for this or do I get some sort of conversion kit? I guess what I am getting at, is there lots I need to do in order to ride on the new rims, or is it simple?? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just bought a set of Roval Control EL's. They replaced a set of Mavic 317's with stock hubs. What a big difference in overall performance and weight. Mine came with quick release but can purchase a 15 or 20 mm kit. I put on a new rear cassette, swapped rotors and they were good to go. Running an Eskar up front and a Purgatory on back with Stans. Sealed up nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb
    I am hoping I can get some guidance from you all. I own an 08 pitch pro and would like to get new wheels. Looking for something lighter than what comes stock, also hoping for less than $700.00 on both. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, does the wheelset you recommend require modifying anything or is it pretty much ready to be installed?

A couple newbie questions if your still reading....... Do I get new hubs with the wheels or do I need to have mine swapped? What about my front 20mm thru axle, do I need to look for wheelsets built for this or do I get some sort of conversion kit? I guess what I am getting at, is there lots I need to do in order to ride on the new rims, or is it simple?? Thanks
    I do not think that the Roval Control's can take a 20mm axle. I would recommend Specialized's Roval Traverse EL. I have a pair and they have been great. Light, strong, great warranty and can take a QR, 15mm or 20mm axle with the included adapaters.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57006

Should be able to be bought for less than $700 from a good LBS or defintiely like new from another rider.

The hubs are basically DT 240s, which are some of the best in my opinion.

Not blingy, but great wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Roval traversem AL $550

I was bending the Sheet out of my 420 sls that came with my 2010 stump fsr. I am 190lbs and ride pretty aggressive. The traverse AL at $550 haven't tweaked or lost a spoke on about 2 dozen rides. Front comes stock 20mm... With 15 and 9mm adapters.

I think these wheels are stiff and strong. Great buy. I WAS getting the mavic crossmax. Glad I saved the money.