mtbr member
    Jul 2008

please review my new pitch additions-shoulder surgery

i just purchased a pitch comp and with the money i saved i applied a few ideas/thoughts to the bike.i had my shoulder scoped june 16 this year.as a thought of shortening the length my arms willhave to reach i changed from a 75 mm stem to a 70 and from a low/mide rise bar to a little wider FSA hi-rsie DH bar.i figure being able to keep my arms a little closer to my body but not to much will help with over exstending my shoulder.and the wider bar will keep my arms a little more straight,i have wide shoulders for only being 6'1".plus i cracked my collar bone a couple years ago long rides take a toll.i tried to mimic my MX bike bar setup since it seemed to help me there.any suggestions on what else i could do.i really need to get back into the saddle w/o blow up my shoulder

the #1 Stunna'
    i know it seems simple, but look at your grips, you will want something soft to take some more vibration out of your hands, and if you are not going to be dirt Jumping or Dowhnilling, sone carbon bars will help to do the same. Also make sure your fork is set up for you!
    I has Bikes

wretch
    Posterior or Anterior dislocation? I've had 4 shoulder surgeries on my right arm. . . two of em open. . . only advice here is to rehab the s h i t e out of it otherwise your going to have a lifetime of pain. Advice for the shoulder? Stay loose. Scoped in June? How's the strength. . . can you talk on the phone with your arm for longer than a minute without it hurting? Collar bones suck, sports med trainer back in the day tried to pop my shoulder back in and totaled my collar bone in doing so.

Get your core and back strength up, that holds you on your bike, if it's not there your arms and legs will be working to balance it all out. With the weak shoulder, all the other muscles surrounding it are working that much harder and can often really jack your posture up. No parts on a bike will change the strength of your shoulder and it's ability to ride. Think about having your arms outstretched, it puts tension on all the the smaller muscles in the area, and especially for me, on the rotator cuff.

My two cents. . . my lady is a trainer, sports med, phyiscal therapist dr. feelgood and as she has engrained into my head. . . you've got the strengthen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thats funny you mention the phone.at first 30 sec into a call and i would cramp up.now i can hold it for about and hour before it goes numb.my phys therapy is 2x a week for about 2 hours.my strength is better but still cant support all my weight.i have been looking for a good deal on a carbon bar.im selling the stock stuff i dont need to pay for one.i just got my ODI grips today but i think they are a tad to big around,or maybe in not used to them