mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Please recommend me some forks - Rockhopper Owner

Hi all

First of all, be gentle
    Iím a noob with bikes so my questions will be very basic for you advanced folk.

I own a Rockhopper Comp Disc. Great bike, and has had no modifications.
    I bought this a few years ago in 2008 when I was living in the UK. After about 10 months of use (nothing hardcore), I noticed one day that the rebound switch (I think thatís what itís called Ė the little allen key type switch at the bottom of the right fork) on my forks came off. The forks were leaking oil onto my floor. Not a lot, a few drops per day.

I took it to Halfords in the UK and they said there was nothing wrong really and that it was normal.
    Fast forward to today. Iíve just had my pads and brakes serviced/replaced and decided to raise the issue with the company doing the service, now in Australia as Iíve moved home. Before I go on, I havenít done any serious riding in over a year due to personal commitments.
    Anyway, I explained the situation to the repair guy, whoís jaw dropped and he said basically my forks were busted. The lockout switch doesnít even work anymore! My forks are in constant 100% motion

So he says to bring it back next week for a look and maybe they can be repaired as the brand is known for a relatively painless repair. Or if the damage is bad (theyíll have to take it apart) theyíll give me new forks.

If it comes to that, what forks can you recommend? Iím a novice remember, and not after anything serious. And with a baby on the way, my budget is limited
    Around $300-400 would be okay.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    RockShox Reba or Tora depending on if you want an air spring or coil spring. Best bang for the buck probably.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    I went w/ an '09 Reba Race U-Turn on my '09 Rockhopper Comp Disc and have been pretty happy w/ it.

Was just under $400 new from Blue Sky Cycling at the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi folks

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll stick with coil. CBA carrying around another pump

So this would be a good buy?

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Turn-Fork.htm

Seems plenty cheap as well! Other sites have these forks for a lot more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    get it.

SpecRH
    May 2009
    nothing wrong with that, i'd get it
    MTB : 2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Specialized RH
    ROAD: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    TOY: Trek 1000