mtbr member

Please Post '04 S-Works Enduro Pics

Please post 'em if you got 'em! I would really like to see yours. I'm coming closer to completing my build as soon as I get a few more parts and I'll put up a pic. Thank you in advance!

mtbr member

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyone ride this bike? If no pics, no prob. Ride on , all!

mtbr member
    I don't have any recent pictures, this one is almost a year old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Towards the end of my second day of riding. This is the Pauley Creek Trail in Downieville - total blast
    Click Here for Forum Rules

memorable member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I don't have any recent pictures, this one is almost a year old.
    Ahh, Good ol Tsali overlook. Such a great spot.

mtbr member

Thanks!!!

I wanted to see this great bike and how you guys had yours set-up. I just can't wait to finally put mine together, but I gotta' wait until I get the wheels, tires, and crankset (I want to ride it so bad, I'm in agony! ). Thanks again, guys! Anymore?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatVibe1
    I wanted to see this great bike and how you guys had yours set-up. I just can't wait to finally put mine together, but I gotta' wait until I get the wheels, tires, and crankset (I want to ride it so bad, I'm in agony! ). Thanks again, guys! Anymore?
    You're gonna love it - the ride is nimble and can CLIMB, but will soak up lots of hits. I rode mine pretty hard at downieville and absolutely zero problems. Best part is you can ride the S-Works Enduro all day and still feel comfortable.

I'd be goin' crazy too waiting for my new ride
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    I will try to get a good picture this weekend as my stock bike is not really what it used to be.

Changes I have made:
    • Galfer 185 Rotor up front (no more noise and more power)
    • Hutchinson Spyder tubless light tires
    • Specialized Alias saddle
    • Yetti lock-on grips
    • rear shock mud protector
    • Lizard skid protector on drive side seat stay (my shoe was rubbing the ano off)

mtbr member

Hey, Murchman...

Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I will try to get a good picture this weekend as my stock bike is not really what it used to be.

Changes I have made:
    • Galfer 185 Rotor up front (no more noise and more power)
    • Hutchinson Spyder tubless light tires
    • Specialized Alias saddle
    • Yetti lock-on grips
    • rear shock mud protector
    • Lizard skid protector on drive side seat stay (my shoe was rubbing the ano off)
    Are you using a standard QR axle and skewer with your "8 rotor? I heard that you have to use a 20mm axle for that rotor on the fork. Is this true?

Meh.
    185 mm isn't 8 inches. It's closer to 7. I think it was prior to this year that you couldn't run a 8 inch rotor, because the braking forces would either crack the dropouts or disc tabs.

mtbr member
    Fox has no problem with running a 7 inch 180 mm rotor it's the bigger 8 inch 203mm rotor that they didn't recommend up to last year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    An upfront full-custom bike.

mtbr member
    Here are some a couple of shots taken today. The rear wheel is a loaner while my Crossmax is in for warranty for the freewheel be broken for the 2nd time.

mtbr member

Good job! Full-custom bike

Here's my custom S-works Enduro made from frame up. It's lighter than 04 S-works bike weighing about 25.6 lbs. Parts specs include Magura Marta SL brakes, DT Swiss custom wheelset, Easton carbon riser, FRM WebStem Ti, etc. It's a blast to ride! I'm thinking about upgrading the fork (Talas R) to '06 Fox Float 130 XTT.

mtbr member

Good job! More!

Thanks to all who posted! I'm getting some ideas based on your set-ups. I'm waiting for my wheelset which is going to be King hubs, with DT Swiss XR4.1d disc rims and Super Comp spokes. Not to mention, the crankset is still up in the air (XTR, XT, Race Face, etc.). I'm not sure, yet. Thanks again!

Large member

Here's mine!

Built in the UK from the frame up. I also have a Turner Burner and I'm not sure which one I like more. The 04 S-Works is a great bike!

mtbr member

Very Nice!

That's one sweet ride! What are the specs?

Large member
    Hi BeatVibe,

Nothing special, just stuff that works in our UK weather. That pic was taken just after I finished building it earlier in the year - it's a bit more beaten up now!

05 Vanilla RLC
    XT Drivetrain
    Hope XC/Mavic XM321 (I'm pretty heavy)
    Thomson stem/post
    Hope Mono Mini brakes/Hope headset/post clamp
    Cinder tyres/Pure V seat
    Easton bars/ODI lock-on grips

The bike rides really well. I picked up the frame in the sales over here for £800 and built it up over three months. I didn't really need it, but it had such a great rep and I enjoy a project.....I find myself riding it more than anything else now.

I don't know what it weighs, but that doesn't bother me as I could easily lose the bikes' whole weight off myself and survive, if you see what I mean!

Spend a bit of time setting it up correctly and you can't go wrong. You have got yourself a teriffic bike - enjoy it.

Cheers,

Tidybeard

Large member

By the way....

You're joining an exclusive club of good people. Murchman helped me out when I was putting mine together (sorry about your wheel, Murchman) with some info and reviews. Top guy!

Also, nice quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That's where my sig comes from. I'm sadly old enough to have watched it at the cinema when it first came out and it's still one of my favourite films.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard
    Hi BeatVibe,

Nothing special, just stuff that works in our UK weather. That pic was taken just after I finished building it earlier in the year - it's a bit more beaten up now!

05 Vanilla RLC
    XT Drivetrain
    Hope XC/Mavic XM321 (I'm pretty heavy)
    Thomson stem/post
    Hope Mono Mini brakes/Hope headset/post clamp
    Cinder tyres/Pure V seat
    Easton bars/ODI lock-on grips

The bike rides really well. I picked up the frame in the sales over here for ?800 and built it up over three months. I didn't really need it, but it had such a great rep and I enjoy a project.....I find myself riding it more than anything else now.

I don't know what it weighs, but that doesn't bother me as I could easily lose the bikes' whole weight off myself and survive, if you see what I mean!

Spend a bit of time setting it up correctly and you can't go wrong. You have got yourself a teriffic bike - enjoy it.

Cheers,

Tidybeard
    I can't wait to complete my build, but I have to wait (need more $$$ for some wheels and crankset ). Enjoy your bike!

Binge Rider

Ps...

I'll put my S-Works on here as soon as my wheels come back.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME

Binge Rider

TidyBeard, Need info on wet weather riding!!!

Tidy Beard...or anyone for that matter...

I ride an '04 Enduor S-Works myself. I live in Germany and the weather will soon become wet and I think very similar to what you have in the UK. What would you recommend for fenders for the Enduro. I will be riding all winter so it will see wet, mud, snow, and probably some blood too and snot too. Also, what booties or shoe coverings do you recommend for warmth? Thanks...

Large member

Hello....

Hi Spine Shank,

In the winter I use Crud Catchers on the downtube (you can see on in my pic) and on the seatpost (which isn't in the pic), which work very well. I have used them for years and they're very well designed.

Here's what they look like if you're not familiar.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//...x?ModelID=1767

The shock protector is always on and again, does a great job.

With regards to clothing, I use layering so something like a 100 weight fleece (it it's really cold perhaps a 200) and either a windproof jacket if it's dry or a medium weight waterproof if it's not (something like Gore-tex XCR, but you can get similar stuff cheaper).
    Down below I'll wear some lycra cycling shorts with some light fleece pants and again some waterproof overtrousers if it's wet.
    For shoes I'm not a fan of clipless pedals - I use flats so I wear some thick socks and some Gore-tex XCR trail shoes, which are certainly waterproof and warm enough.

Of course, all the above depends on how hot you run and your budget. For what it's worth, I find that the crud catchers keep the majority of the crap off my clothes - I just need them to keep the rain off!

Good luck, and enjoy your bike!

Binge Rider

Thanks Tiny Beard!

Thanks for your quick get back. I have ordered from Chain Reaction before. Do you find it necessary to use a rear fender with the shock fender too? I guess what I mean is will the shock fender keep enough off you too?

Large member
    No, the shock fender just keeps stuff off the shock. if you want to keep your back from getting very dirty, you'll need the rear fender too.

Good luck!

Binge Rider

Long Time Coming...

I finally got this thing put together & it was a long time coming. Bikes are like computers in a way, as soon as you buy a new one...it's "old" before you know it. Now that the 2006 line is about to roll out, my '04 seems like "old stuff" now; even though I just finished building it last night when my wheels came in. But Between tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, (I wish the world was a more peaceful place so I could ride more,) spine surgery requiring a total disc replacement and recovery, you can appreciate what's taken me so long. But it's finally done and the only thing missing on this puppy is some dirt! That's coming real soon. Any ways, I am happy to join the club!

I built it from the frame up and did all the work myself, pretty rewarding. Fox TALAS RLC, Chris King Hubs and Headset, Race Face Deus Cranks, Avid Juciy 7's w/ Goodridge Brake Lines, XT shifters and deraillures w/ Nokon cable, Easton Monkey Lites XC, Thompson Stem and Post, Mavic 819's built by Gravy Wheels. I switch between the Crank Bros Mallets and Egg beaters when riding.

mtbr member
    Congrats man and welcome to the owners club, now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. The bike maybe an 04 but I would put it up against anything new out there right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Here's Mine!!!

I've had it just over one year and its such a good bike. How often do any of you service the rear shock? I'd noticed for a while that the shock seemed to be going through its travel very easily and brain didn't seem very active. Especially on up hill climbs out of the saddle. Just over a week ago I opened up the shock, cleaned it and then re-lubed it. What a difference!!!! Climbing is 100% better with virtually no bob, and riding is much smoother and faster. It feels like a different bike. I would certainly recommend to any of you that haven't serviced your shock to do so. It really made a big difference to mine....

mtbr member

New question here. Some questions about the shock maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by steveb
    How often do any of you service the rear shock?
    I haven't had it serviced yet because my frame is so new. Anyway, I wondering that is a "normal" Fox Service dealer able to service the shock ? I've heard that the Epics' Brain shocks must be sent to Switzerland (from European countries that is) to service the Brain. So I'd like to know: does the Brain remote reservoir affect the servicing of the main shock anyway ? And also, does the Brain portion need regular maintenance ?

Thanks for your advice!

Binge Rider

New question here. Weight of '04 Enduros?

I would have started a new thread for this but I know everyone here rides the same Enduro and didn't want everyone else posting their two cents with bikes that aren't the same frame. I am not too much of a weight weenie though after reading this it seems like I am. But I am curious as to what the weight of everyone's Enduro is? I think mine may be on the heavy side and I would like to know where the extra weight is at, or maybe my scale is off and I am not that far off everyone elses? I know the stock version w/ full XTR components and the MAVICs Cross Max SLs are pretty light but how light? Those of us who have built the frames up, what are yours at?

I am curious as to what the difference is between a stock build vs. a custom build with different componetry. I've read some guys claiming 25lbs. which seems a little too light considering a bike w/ over 5" of travel & a Brain shock too. Although my scale sucks and isn't accurate, mine is reading 29lbs flat. I have a custom build (see above thread) with top of the line components, equal to XTR in quality but obvioulsy edged out in weight savings. However, the weight differences between each component is mearly a few grams when researched. Granted a few grams here and there will add up but I can't see where I have gained so much weight when the total weight difference added up piece by piece is within a pound of each other...(& mine is the lighter one at that!) I appreciate your replies and advice. Spine Shank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spine Shank
    I would have started a new thread for this but I know everyone here rides the same Enduro and didn't want everyone else posting their two cents with bikes that aren't the same frame. I am not too much of a weight weenie though after reading this it seems like I am. But I am curious as to what the weight of everyone's Enduro is? I think mine may be on the heavy side and I would like to know where the extra weight is at, or maybe my scale is off and I am not that far off everyone elses? I know the stock version w/ full XTR components and the MAVICs Cross Max SLs are pretty light but how light? Those of us who have built the frames up, what are yours at?

I am curious as to what the difference is between a stock build vs. a custom build with different componetry. I've read some guys claiming 25lbs. which seems a little too light considering a bike w/ over 5" of travel & a Brain shock too. Although my scale sucks and isn't accurate, mine is reading 29lbs flat. I have a custom build (see above thread) with top of the line components, equal to XTR in quality but obvioulsy edged out in weight savings. However, the weight differences between each component is mearly a few grams when researched. Granted a few grams here and there will add up but I can't see where I have gained so much weight when the total weight difference added up piece by piece is within a pound of each other...(& mine is the lighter one at that!) I appreciate your replies and advice. Spine Shank
    Well, my custom built weighs about 25.68 lbs = 11650g.
    Check out the complete build spec HERE

Although it's one of the lightest Enduros I've seen, it's still a very formidale trail bike. The weight could be even lower with different pedals & XTR crankset & cassette but hey, maybe later... Every part has worked really well without any hassles.
    There's no big mountain or even hills around here so I don't need 8" or larger discs to stop the bike. The slightly narrow Michelin tires do save weight but they function surprisingly well in all kinds of terrain. My next tires will be Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4" just to better keep up with my riding buddy when riding in very technical terrain.

Looking at your setup (which is very nice ), your "not-so-light-parts" are:
    - Thomson stem
    - Avid Juicys
    - Mavic 819s
    - saddle

If you're using DT Comp spokes & brass nipples, those weigh quite a bit more than DT SuperComp + alu nipples, for example. Also if you use UST tires, those weigh a lot...
    Compared to stock version, XTR crankset is about 50-70g lighter than your RF and XTR derailleurs save some 60-90g too. The M760 XT stuff is porky.

BTW: The stock version is supposed to weigh about 27.2 lbs (without pedals ?).
    Last edited by Archangel; 09-23-2005 at 03:46 AM.

Binge Rider

Thanks, Archangel...that's what I am looking for. SS

I appreciate the write up. That's what I need.
    Last edited by Spine Shank; 09-23-2005 at 04:05 AM. Reason: ms

mtbr member
    My stock large with Time pedals came in at 28lbs.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Here's one pic more

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey guys,

I know I'm not part of the club (!) but I've recently bought an 06 Stumpjumper Pro with the remote brain and it is really soft. Up hills and on the road I get a lot of bob - almost half stroke (including sag) and there seems to be minimal difference between the firm and soft brain settings. Air pressure is above recommended.

I have spoken to another shop who had one through and they said theirs was similar. Is this the way the Enduro remote brain is, or is there a chance we got a dodgy batch of shocks in Aus? When the brain engages from pushing down on the seat, is it very hard to push any further (ie kind of like an Epic), or does it still give?

From a previous post the symptoms before cleaning seem very familiar, and cleaning that shock made a difference to the brain performance? But mine is brand new!!

Thanks for your feedback Murchman in another thread, but can somebody else give me their experiences also?

Thanks.

Binge Rider

Dain Bramage!

Huh, sounds like it's not working correctly for something brand new. You shouldn't have to clean it & I would discourage opening it up whether it's the shock or the brain. How are you measuring the air pressure? By the recommended air pressure in the manual or by measuring the sag? When I put in the recommended air pressure as per the manual, it was way too soft too. I increased my air pressure to get the recommended 20% sag. (which was way above the recommended air pressure) That made all the difference in the world. It firmed right up and works long time. It will bob initially until it ramps up and then it's firm and stays firm until something causes the valve to open up, then it's active. I know it sucks buying something brand new and not working as advertised but if you are running the correct air pressure, with the right amount of sag, and it's still preforming like that, that ain't right. Maybe some brain damage. Spine Shank

mtbr member

New question here. IQ Setting on Brain Shock

On the '04 S-Works Enduro Brain shock, what setting do you feel gives you the best ride in your opinion? Where do you normally position your IQ lever on the Brain Shock (more, less, or in the middle)?
    Last edited by BeatVibe1; 12-02-2005 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I have settled on the middle setting having run both low and high for a few months at a time the middle was the best when all was said and done for me.

Binge Rider

You're just gonna have to try it...

Set your sag correctly (20-25%) and then try the different settings on the Brain. Make mental notes using the red bars on the Brain as to what feels best. I recoomend riding the same loop or trail over and over again with the different settings to get a feel for it. I run mine anywhere from the middle to the firm end, (about 3-4 red bars from the firm side.) Sometimes depending on the trail I like to feel the suspension "give" a little more, other times I don't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here's mine. Freshly built!