Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Pix Posted! Please ID! Older Specialized Bike--the Fork is leaking oil! What do I do?

Hey guys, I have an older Specialized Downhill MTB that I bought used for $120. I'm not positive on the model because (I think) it's been repainted and there are no decals. It has Hayes hydraulic disc brakes and levers, a Shimano (XTR?) rear derailleur and it's top tube is not round but more like the edges are straightened out...not exactly square but it has several sides to it....almost trapezoidal and the top tube is well thicker than the lower tube. I will try to get some pictures up soon for osmeone to I it.

Anyway, the fork (which may also have been repainted...although I think it may be a specialized fork) has a very decent amount of travel and the left side of the fork is leaking oil. I believe the oil is coming out of the top because the entire side of the fork is oiled up and the front disc break is also completely covered with oil so it doesn't work well.

I don't know what to do...I went to my local bike shop and they said they don't specialize in shocks so they would have to ship it out and it would be at least a $100 repair most likely. I bought this bike as "fun" commuter and don't want to put too much more money into it and I was hoping someone here will have a better idea of what I should do...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by i3eezenotch; 01-26-2008 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    If its a commuter, throw the fork in the garbage... it wont really benefit you on the road or the trail if its blown, and if its a old specialized fork then its pretty worthless anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    If its a commuter, throw the fork in the garbage... it wont really benefit you on the road or the trail if its blown, and if its a old specialized fork then its pretty worthless anyway.

I understand that but can it be fixed? I'd ride it on trails too just not during the year--commuter meaning I wouldn't feel super bad if it were stolen. I'm not sure how old it is...it's a nice fork. It's fairly plush and has a nice amount of travel...maybe it was replaced some time down the line? Anyway, If it's leaking oil out of the top, can it be fixed relatively easily?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Snap some pics of it when you get a chance, we could better help you if we knew what kind of rig/fork you have.

Uphill? What's that
    If you post a picture, some one might be able to give you the info you are looking for.
    Its hard to say how easy it is to fix something without knowing what it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    More pictures...

Someone please help ID the bike but mainly please let me know if the leaking oil is fixable in the fork... I really like the bike (although it weighs a ton and I love light bikes)..but it would be great to keep here at school. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    PS--notice how on one side of the fork, there is the greasy oil buidl up--it looks like the oil is coming out from the top . And when I compress the fork a lot, you can hear a sound that's sort of like "gurgly" almost like sucking at a straw with very little liquid left...but a bit different. More slushy. Actually it is a lot more like if you have water in your shoes. That kind of slushy gurgly sound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    also, do you guys know if the disc brakes are stock?

mtbr member
    you just need some new seals. Enduroforkseals.com can probably help. judging from the arch, it looks like a marzocchi fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    you just need some new seals. Enduroforkseals.com can probably help. judging from the arch, it looks like a marzocchi fork.

So you think the guy at the bike shop who was saying the fork is probably shot and needs to be shipped for repair/ will be at least $100 to repair just didn't know what he was talking about? He did say that they don't deal with shocks at that shop...

Would another bike shop likely be able to do this themselves? And how much do you tink a repair like that would cost? Thanks!

Can anyone ID the actual bike or fork model?

mtbr member
    Bike looks like a 1999-2000 Specialized Enduro Hardtail.
    Fork is a Marzocchi Z.3 and your stanchions look scratched which might be causing the leak. I recommend buying a new fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, there are a few really slight nicks on the part of the shock that lowers when it hits a bump. They seem fairly insignificant but maybe they are causing a rip in the seals? I just wish there was a bike shop around here that could fix this asap :-/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey
    Bike looks like a 1999-2000 Specialized Enduro Hardtail.
    Fork is a Marzocchi Z.3 and your stanchions look scratched which might be causing the leak. I recommend buying a new fork.
    Thanks for the info--I really don't want to put too much cash into the bike since I will be using it primarily as a commuter and weekend trail rider while I'm at school (I have another bike at home). Plus, bike theft around here is really prevalent so I wouldn't want to invest in a new fork and then see it stolen. I also would prefer to have a front shock rather than a rigid fork...so my ideal solution is fixing this fork--if possible. The side of the fork that actually is not leaking is the side that has the main light nicks on the stanchions. I dunno--I wouldn't be riding this bike too hard, I would mainly be riding it on light trails, and commuting to classes (which would likely involve taking flights of steps and occasional small 1-2ft drops just to wake me up in the morning).

mtbr member
    yeah, sorry. i didn't notice the scratches in the stanchions. If they are scratched, then the fork wouldn't be worth replacing IMO. If they aren't scratched, then it really just looks like you need new seals. I just put some on my fox, it's an easy job and only cost me about 20 bucks. Anyway, here is the link for the seals for your fork: http://enduroforkseals.com/id50.html

Again, like was said before, if the stanchions are trashed, then the seals won't help for long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yeah, sorry. i didn't notice the scratches in the stanchions. If they are scratched, then the fork wouldn't be worth replacing IMO. If they aren't scratched, then it really just looks like you need new seals. I just put some on my fox, it's an easy job and only cost me about 20 bucks. Anyway, here is the link for the seals for your fork: http://enduroforkseals.com/id50.html

Again, like was said before, if the stanchions are trashed, then the seals won't help for long.

Well the thing is, the stanchions are have only a few scratches and they're not very deep at all...hopefully I'll get a chance to take some pictures with my actual camera (these were with a cell phone) and get some close ups on the stanchons. Only one side of the fork is leaking, the other seems fine and is more scratched than the leaking one (although still not all that much...)

PS--is there any place with a tutorial about how to replace the seals? I've never messed with anythign on my bike that was fork related.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, if the shock was in working shape, how much is this bike worth? And how much was it new back in '00?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    Well the thing is, the stanchions are have only a few scratches and they're not very deep at all...hopefully I'll get a chance to take some pictures with my actual camera (these were with a cell phone) and get some close ups on the stanchons. Only one side of the fork is leaking, the other seems fine and is more scratched than the leaking one (although still not all that much...)

PS--is there any place with a tutorial about how to replace the seals? I've never messed with anythign on my bike that was fork related.

The new enduro seals will come with instructions on how to do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So how do I know if the stantions are trashed or not? Or is it that any little scratch=trash? They really didn't seem so bad...on the pictures you can't even see anything...man I really hope I can get this sorte dout. Do you think I should reseal the other side of the shock as well or just leave it be? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    frame is a older P3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJester
    frame is a older P3.
    I thought it was an enduro? I believe the frame is from 99.

mtbr member
    PepperJester is correct. This is your bike http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/olderhar...ct_72872.shtml

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey
    PepperJester is correct. This is your bike http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/olderhar...ct_72872.shtml
    Really? So I got a nearly $2000 bike for $120?? Sweet!! I really need to get this fork fixed!

Anyone know if I can just buff out the nicks in the stanchions to make it work? They really are tiny...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey guys, all of my local bike shops don't do seal replacements on bikes but one of the mechs. at a shop downtown would do it. He says the labor would be around $40. I am wondering if I should attempt this myself or whether I should just let them do it...since most of the bike shops around here won't touch shocks, I'm wondering if I should be?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    PS- I can get a manitou SR-X replacement fork used for about he same price I would fix my Marzocchi. The used fork should be in great condition.

Any opinions on whether I sould get the SR-X or fix mine? Which is better for taking stairs daily and occasional 2 ft drops while commuting? I'm 175lbs/ Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The new enduro seals will come with instructions on how to do it.

I talked to several bike shops that don't touch forks...the bike mech said that he would be intimidated to do it even. Also, I would need several tools + oil and such right? I dunno if I could handle that. I went to another bike shop that said that the seals is all it really needs and they can buff out one small nick. But they said seals will be $40 and labor also $40 but I can bring in the seals. Still pretty pricey. Too much or no? They also sold a pedal wrench for $20 as opposed to the 11$ my bike shop sells it at. Maybe it's overpriced there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast