mtbr member

Pivot Washers on 05 Enduro

I am in the process of fitting a Fox DHX Air to my 05 Enduro S.Works.
    I was just wondering if anyone as any tips in alineing the conical pivot washers while fitting the shock. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've done this a few times on my SX Trail (go ahead--ask me why so I can whine about the 5th some more).

-Take an index card (or similar stiff paper). Roll it up into a small tube (small enough to fit inside the washers).
    -Align the link and stay and fit that tube in from the non-drive side, thru the stay and link, and just far enough inside the link to balance/hold the washer and spacer for that side.
    -Once the tube is inserted, you can unroll it a bit to provide tension so it and the washers won't move around too easily.
    -Use the regular pivot bolt to setup the drive side in a similar fashion.
    -Then carefully line up the shock eye and slide the pivot bolt in the whole way. As you slide in the bolt, it will push the tube out the other side. You may have to jiggle the bolt and shock around to get it to slide in.

The bike mechanic that pulled the shock originally said it took him 45 minutes to get them lined up the first time he had to do it. I snickered when I had this figured out and mounted w/in 5 minutes.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    I've done this a few times on my SX Trail (go ahead--ask me why so I can whine about the 5th some more)...
    That's a good tip, I'll try that next time (shouldn't be too long, I just put my 5th back on last night for the 4th time.)

I've just been sticking the long end of an 8mm allen in one side while keeping the pivot bolt partially through the other...then fitting the shock eye and tapping the pivot bolt though with a dead blow mallet. The conical spacers on the drive side need a bit of wiggling, but the installation process takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how much dirt is on the assembly.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the DHX-A and how much did it run you?

I'm getting weary of not having my bike to ride. Progressive sent me a replacement shock a few weeks ago that didn't hold air, hopefully this new one will last more than a ride or two. It's frustrating to think that one needs to have a back up shock to keep the bike in use, but it looks like that's the only option here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've done this a few times on my SX Trail (go ahead--ask me why so I can whine about the 5th some more).

-Take an index card (or similar stiff paper). Roll it up into a small tube (small enough to fit inside the washers).
    -Align the link and stay and fit that tube in from the non-drive side, thru the stay and link, and just far enough inside the link to balance/hold the washer and spacer for that side.
    -Once the tube is inserted, you can unroll it a bit to provide tension so it and the washers won't move around too easily.
    -Use the regular pivot bolt to setup the drive side in a similar fashion.
    -Then carefully line up the shock eye and slide the pivot bolt in the whole way. As you slide in the bolt, it will push the tube out the other side. You may have to jiggle the bolt and shock around to get it to slide in.

The bike mechanic that pulled the shock originally said it took him 45 minutes to get them lined up the first time he had to do it. I snickered when I had this figured out and mounted w/in 5 minutes.
    Actually, for the first step you may want to put the pivot bolt in partway on the drive side--that way it will hold the stay and link in alignment while you are messing around with the non-drive side. This is especially true if you've got the bike in a stand where the stays want to hang down because the shock isn't there. I think I took a piece of wire and hung the stays from the bike stand near where they would be if the shock was mounted and it made it easier to line up.

Tell us how the DHX works out and if you've got the real one or the "4.5" version with the plugged boost valve.

mtbr member
    I got it fitted with a healthy dose of Lithium grease to hold everything togeather. I got the DHX Air from Mojo in the UK. The boostvalve has a plug on it, but all 06 Enduros with DHX Air have the same plug on the valve. I havent been out on it yet to test and set it up, when I do I will give a full report on its performance compared to the 5th air.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    what is the boost valuve? where do you put the air in?

RaD
    Trampelpfadbenutzer
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    what is the boost valuve? where do you put the air in?
    Ok,this is a coil DHX but normaly the piggyback is the same as at the DHX Air.
    You see the filler for the boostvalve(think of a kind of air adjustable compression damping) in the red circle.
    Since there is obviously not enough space for the filler valve at the Enduro frame, the DHX in the picture posted above is modified to allow better clearance to the "seattube".
    I guess the filler valve is shortened and a rubber plug instead of the screw on cab is installed to save some space.
    Hope this helps.

Later
    RaD
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The real question, which I haven't seen answered is: Is the boost valve plugged so you can't adjust the pressure in it? Or, is it simply recessed so it won't hit the seat tube, yet is still user-tuneable, even if you have to pull the shock to do it?

Progressive says to check the air pressure before every ride. I'm guessing Fox says the same thing. If it's plugged and not meant to be user-tuneable, then I'm curious what they did to make it not "leak down" like most of these shocks are prone to do.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Long shot

Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    That's a good tip, I'll try that next time (shouldn't be too long, I just put my 5th back on last night for the 4th time.)

I've just been sticking the long end of an 8mm allen in one side while keeping the pivot bolt partially through the other...then fitting the shock eye and tapping the pivot bolt though with a dead blow mallet. The conical spacers on the drive side need a bit of wiggling, but the installation process takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how much dirt is on the assembly.

Out of curiosity, where did you get the DHX-A and how much did it run you?

I'm getting weary of not having my bike to ride. Progressive sent me a replacement shock a few weeks ago that didn't hold air, hopefully this new one will last more than a ride or two. It's frustrating to think that one needs to have a back up shock to keep the bike in use, but it looks like that's the only option here.
    you couldnt help me and let me know which way the beveled spacer that fits between the seat stay and the black link bridge at the shock end?

Cheers

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    The real question, which I haven't seen answered is: Is the boost valve plugged so you can't adjust the pressure in it? Or, is it simply recessed so it won't hit the seat tube, yet is still user-tuneable, even if you have to pull the shock to do it?

Progressive says to check the air pressure before every ride. I'm guessing Fox says the same thing. If it's plugged and not meant to be user-tuneable, then I'm curious what they did to make it not "leak down" like most of these shocks are prone to do.
    I think the boost valve is plugged because you cant access it without removing the shock from the enduro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I think the boost valve is plugged because you cant access it without removing the shock from the enduro.
    Its plugged and not user adjustable when off the bike, factory only. The only ggod thing about this is you cant accidently cycle the shcok w/o boost pressure and get it stuck down.

I just got mine running and Im diggn it.
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro SX
    I got it fitted with a healthy dose of Lithium grease to hold everything togeather. I got the DHX Air from Mojo in the UK. The boostvalve has a plug on it, but all 06 Enduros with DHX Air have the same plug on the valve. I havent been out on it yet to test and set it up, when I do I will give a full report on its performance compared to the 5th air.
    Looks Great!

Did you need to get spacers, reducers etc? Did you get them from Mojo? Is there a kit? I am going from 5th on 05 expert to DHX Air.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigassbike
    Looks Great!

Did you need to get spacers, reducers etc? Did you get them from Mojo? Is there a kit? I am going from 5th on 05 expert to DHX Air.

Thanks!
    Shameless spam, but I'm selling my almost new DHX Air off of my 06 Expert if you are interested. PM me for details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mounted up last night a new 07 DHX Air. The shock came with all the right hardware and spacers to fit right up. Took just a few mins. using the 15mm bolt and a deep socket to hold in place the spacers. Have approx. 165 psi in the air spring for my 160 lb, with no propedal and about 1 turn of bottom out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Digga
    Mounted up last night a new 07 DHX Air. The shock came with all the right hardware and spacers to fit right up. Took just a few mins. using the 15mm bolt and a deep socket to hold in place the spacers. Have approx. 165 psi in the air spring for my 160 lb, with no propedal and about 1 turn of bottom out.
    Thanks for the reply. I purchased an 06 from a private party without the hardware. It is the Enduro edition, just need the spacers and such.

Good luck with yours!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I purchased an 06 from a private party without the hardware. It is the Enduro edition, just need the spacers and such.

Good luck with yours!
    call Fox they will set you up

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    call Fox they will set you up
    Thanks man.

I called Specialized online store/customer service and left a message. Hopefully I will hear something tomorrow.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Thanks man.

I called Specialized online store/customer service and left a message. Hopefully I will hear something tomorrow.
    heres my info

You can order the Enduro specific semi-spherical washers (part number: 213-07-076) for $2.50 each + shipping by calling 1-800-369-7469 ext 6550. Included also is our international service center list.

Thank you

Nick DeLauder

Fox Racing Shox

New Dealer Applications

Bicycle Service/ Aftermarket Sales

Phone: 1-800-369-7469

Fax: 831-768-1186

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    heres my info

You can order the Enduro specific semi-spherical washers (part number: 213-07-076) for $2.50 each + shipping by calling 1-800-369-7469 ext 6550. Included also is our international service center list.

Thank you

Nick DeLauder

Fox Racing Shox

New Dealer Applications

This is great! Thanks very much!!! Fox Racing Shox continue to impress with great products and great service!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    heres my info

Thank you

Nick DeLauder

Fox Racing Shox

New Dealer Applications

Sorry to derail, but does anyone know if Fox has the Demo 9 DHX mounting hardware as well? I know this was an issue earlier last year that I don't recall being solved except by those that DIY.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I called Fox Racing Shox and ordered the "Kit" with all of the mounting hardware. Once received and installed I will post update. There really isn't a kit because the shock is considered OEM but Josh put it together for me. I was going to order the spherical washers only then changed my mind to get all of it. Under $20.00 shipped is a good insurance policy.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I called Fox Racing Shox and ordered the "Kit" with all of the mounting hardware. Once received and installed I will post update. There really isn't a kit because the shock is considered OEM but Josh put it together for me. I was going to order the spherical washers only then changed my mind to get all of it. Under $20.00 shipped is a good insurance policy.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    yeah , they talked me into that also gotta pay shipping anyway