Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rage Cage??

Pitch/Stump/Enduro

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new bike. Decided it was time to get rid of my freeride bike since most of the time I'm doing trail rides or all mountain type stuff. I've been looking into new bikes a lot and the Pitch Pro, StumperJumper Elite and Evo, and Enduro Comp are all on my list of bikes to look at. Just wanted to probe some of the owners of these bikes and see if anyone has ridden all of them to get some input. I'm in Las Vegas so the riding goes from easy XC at Cottonwood to gnarly downhill at bootleg canyon. Any input would be great. Thanks a ton!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You get what you pay for. Coming from riding solely freeride I don't think you would be happy with anything other than the Enduro Evo. A few people I've talked to say it pedals better than the Enduro Expert. I own an '11 Enduro Expert and being the scronnyish guy I am I prefer the lighter weight bike. I love my Enduro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Enduro rules!!!

To put very very simply, the Pitch is the cheaper all rounder option, the stumpjumper is the lighter option and the enduro is the more progressive all rounder more beefed up option (closer to a freeride frame than the other models).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    a lot of people seem to be very happy with their Pitch bikes with a 160mm fork up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineE30M52
    Coming from riding solely freeride I don't think you would be happy with anything other than the Enduro Evo. A few people I've talked to say it pedals better than the Enduro Expert.
    I own one, and I'll tell you I think it pedals better than my lighter, less plush, shorter travel '08 Enduro. It's very well balanced. I'd take it over the S-Works, even if I had the money to spend...

Rage Cage??
    What's the weight difference on the Enduro Evo vs the Enduro Expert?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lakejunkie6
    What's the weight difference on the Enduro Evo vs the Enduro Expert?
    I believe it's only about two lbs if that.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I bought my Enduro last year, before there was an EVO option. I want to demo one and maybe make the switch when the rumored conversion kit is available from Spec.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    +1 for the Enduro

+10 for the Enduro EVO

The Enduro, EVO or no EVO, climbs great and descends great too. Oh course that just my opinion

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Enduro, plain and simple. Just choose the model that fits your budget best, and fits your needs as well.

If you don't want to spend that much money, go with a Pitch. Solid bike for the money. And the money saved can be used to build it up a bit for your fr needs.

THAT guy
    Just add me to the growing list of people recomending the Enduro!

Rage Cage??
    Alright alright enduro it is haha. Now just which model...sigh. I can afford the Expert or the Evo. I'll have a freeride/downhill rig too so I don't know if the Evo would give me 2 bikes in the same type of class. I'll have to go ride them and see what the dealer says too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    enduro,
    the only regret i have is maybe not getting something a bit more freeride, but it does everything from jumping to long rides. i got the 2010 expert mainly bc of the command post and adjustable travel. I dont use the adjustments too often, i could prolly live without it. but its such a good bike

mtbr member

My 2 cents...

Just thought I'd post some enticing eye candy:

The ONLY things not stock:

1.) Converted the tires to tubeless immediately, which was easy since the kit comes with the bike!

2.) Swapped out the clear plastic bash guard for my burlier Race Face guard.

3.) Added 2011 Crank Brother Candy 11's - My old Candy's were really beat to $#!%, and I just happened to find the 11's significantly marked down, and they just happened to match the color scheme of the bike perfectly. Fate? Well wishes from the bike God's? Who knows?

4.) Re-routed the front break cable inside the left leg instead of outside (I'm still not sure why some bike builders do it the other way...)

Otherwise, the bike is completely stock.

Now, to the OP - Whether you buy the Expert, the Evo, a Pitch, or a Stumpy is completely up to you, but I'll say few things:

First, I think the Enduro is the one of the most capable all-around bikes on the market (admittedly, I had my eye on a Nomad until I rode the Evo). I went from a full-suspension XC bike (an Epic in '08) to and Enduro SL (for '09 and '10). I skipped right over the "trail" bike (i.e. a Stumpy). I didn't feel like I lost much in terms of climbing or pedaling from the Epic, but what I gained in descending, dropping, and jumping was mind boggling. I'd rule out the Stumpy in your case. You're not going to be racing the bike, and I feel as though it would feel too flimsy for your style riding.

As for the Pitch, I've ridden a 2010 test bike, and I truly feel it is one of the best "bangs-for-the-buck" on the market. It can handle A LOT, but I think the Enduro can handle more on both ends of the pedaling vs. descending spectrum. If you have the money, get an Enduro.

I haven't ridden a 2011 Enduro Expert, but I'd imagine it to be a little more pedaling/climbing friendly since it's a tiny bit lighter, and has better compression control on both the shock and the fork. However, coming from air components on my last bike ('08 Enduro SL with AFR shock and e150 fork), I admit there is something to be said about the simplicity, durability, and all-out plushness of coil components. I'd say what you lose in compression/platform control of the air components, you gain in small bump compliance with the coil components, giving you more traction, especially while climbing. Just stay seated, keep your weight over the rear wheel, and spin (not mash), and you'll climb like a goat.

Finally, whatever buy, make sure it comes with most (if not all) the specs you want; I spent a lot of money trying to upgrade my '08 Enduro Comp to be more like the Evo. I'd have to do the math, but when it is all said and done, I bet both bikes practically cost the same. I have the Evo set up exactly the way I want it already; now all I have to do is replace things as they age, wear, or break. So consider that, especially if you're leaning towards a Pitch or Stumpy.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pitch/Stump/Enduro-img_0888.jpg  

Pitch/Stump/Enduro-img_0887.jpg  

Pitch/Stump/Enduro-img_0880.jpg  

Pitch/Stump/Enduro-web.jpg  

Last edited by SurfSailRide; 11-04-2010 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    defiinitely go for the evo, especially if your doing the more aggressive bootleg trails. I ride a pitch pro, but its not even close to stock. I have it set up like the evo, the money I put into my pitch would have easily got me an evo.

Rage Cage??
    Can anyone give me the weight on the Enduro Evo? I loved riding my 7" freeride bike everywhere but my problem was the 46 pound tank wasn't easy to get around. I'm sure the Enduro Evo has a significant drop in weight just curious about how much though.

mtbr member
    Can anyone give me the weight on the Enduro Evo? I loved riding my 7" freeride bike everywhere but my problem was the 46 pound tank wasn't easy to get around. I'm sure the Enduro Evo has a significant drop in weight just curious about how much though.
    As it is now, mine weighs in at just around 31lbs, give or take...

Rage Cage??
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    As it is now, mine weighs in at just around 31lbs, give or take...
    That would be glorious... You do any DH shuttle runs on your Evo? How's it hold up with the bigger 8" bikes?

mtbr member
    That would be glorious... You do any DH shuttle runs on your Evo? How's it hold up with the bigger 8" bikes?
    No shuttle runs yet, but plan to next season, and feel very confident in the bike's ability to handle heavy stuff. I'm coming from the other end of the spectrum (progressing over time from XC, to trail, to all-mountain, to beefed all-mountain, to EVO), so I don't have a ton of experience on heavy freeride and DH bikes. BUT, I'll tell you that it feels a lot more solid and plush than my buddy's Kona Sticky and other beefy AM rigs I've tested (SC Bullit, Nomad, etc).

I'd say demo one first, but I've heard a few reports of people equating the EVO to a lighter, better pedaling/climbing version of the the SX Trail.

Edit: My buddy with the Stinky is in the same boat as you - he has a 7" freeride bike that he loves and rides everywhere, including trails and climbs. But after riding my EVO he wants to dump the Kona and get one for himself.

namagomi
    You mention XC? Haha. Why on earth would you want a coil-over all-mountain rig for that...

If 30% of your riding is going to be XC, get the enduro EVO
    If 50% of your riding is going to be XC, get the enduro comp
    If 70% of your riding is going to be XC, get the stump-jumper

This is assuming you're not a gear thrasher, the wheels on the SJ are weak, maybe sell those if you're going to be dropping into rock gardens... i wouldn't bother to start upgrading stuff right out of the box, better to pick the right ride first.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    You mention XC? Haha. Why on earth would you want a coil-over all-mountain rig for that...

Very well put!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

This is assuming you're not a gear thrasher, the wheels on the SJ are weak, maybe sell those if you're going to be dropping into rock gardens... i wouldn't bother to start upgrading stuff right out of the box, better to pick the right ride first.

Spot on advice.

mtbr member
    You mention XC? Haha. Why on earth would you want a coil-over all-mountain rig for that..
    Not sure if this was directed towards me or the OP, but to be clear, I do not use my Evo for XC. And judging by his inquiries regarding shuttle runs, I doubt he would be either.

Otherwise, very sound advice.

Rage Cage??
    I'm not going to be doing a ton of XC. I mainly ride singletrack with 4-6 ft drops, rocks the whole way down. I just want a bike that can handle the rough stuff trails and singletrack I'm tackling but if I wanted to go out and cruise the XC trails I wouldn't have a stroke or if I wanted to do a little downhill, I could make it to the bottom of the mountain, maybe not on the most technical lines but at least in one piece. Two bikes are an option for me too. Maybe a SJ and a SX Trail/Demo/Big Hit.

mtbr member
    I mainly ride singletrack with 4-6 ft drops, rocks the whole way down. I just want a bike that can handle the rough stuff trails and singletrack I'm tackling but if I wanted to go out and cruise the XC trails I wouldn't have a stroke or if I wanted to do a little downhill, I could make it to the bottom of the mountain, maybe not on the most technical lines but at least in one piece.
    That's exactly what I do. I'd say an Enduro, Evo or no Evo, is the way to go. Unless you can afford two bikes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast