mtbr member

Pitch sizing for 5' 10"

Need help. I'm 5"10" (31" inseam, 170 lbs) and planning on ordering a Pitch from my LBS. I'm leaning towards getting a large but not sure. Problem is no one has them in stock around here and I've never sat on one to size up. Majority of the time will be riding XC trails but with a few downhill runs every now and then. Looking for input from any Pitch owners around my size that mostly ride on XC trails.to see what size they have and what they'd suggest. I assume if I was only doing downhill/FR/jumps I'd definitely get the medium size but I don't want to feel cramped if I'm mostly riding XC....

Appreciate any input.

<100%
    I'm 5 10, 32" inseam. I ride a large. I could get by with a Med but I decided to go w the large and cannot complain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    5'8" to 5'9". 29" to 30" inseam. I ride with a 100mm 5* rise stem and feels great for XC. My friend is 5'11" and he rides my bike with no complaints. I could even go with a 50mm stem and it'd feel compact but not awful..

If the bike is too small for you it easier to make it fit than a larger frame. Longer Stems, changing the seat rail position, laid-back seatpost to name a few.
    I notice specialized biked have pretty long top tubes

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    XC ? Buy a Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

pitch sizing for 5' 10"

get the med frame all the way, i am about the same size as u, the large felt too big, if u want to flick the bike around, bunny hop it or just move around with control get the med, if u want lots of room well the large might work, good luck touching, lol

Safety Consultant
    I sure wouldn't buy a $2000+ bike without having it fit by the shop and riding it a bit!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL
    XC ? Buy a Stumpjumper.
    I'd agree, except if he thinks he may venture out into some rougher terrain. I started on a stumpjumper and found it acceptable for 90% of what I was riding, unfortunetly that other 10% was a little gnarly. Limited me a little on what I could hit. Moved up to a enduro and couldn't be happier, it is way better on the descent but does really well on the ascent also. Plus, I now ride alot more aggresively and with more confidence. You may sacrifice speed with the pitch, but it will be a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ride Medium and I'm a little taller than you. Works fine on the climbs with the fork down and great on the downhills. What are your XC trails like? The pitch is great with gravity but on the flat stuff it takes some extra effort.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by andymart
    I ride Medium and I'm a little taller than you. Works fine on the climbs with the fork down and great on the downhills. What are your XC trails like? The pitch is great with gravity but on the flat stuff it takes some extra effort.
    Its not a fast bike but I am extremely surprised how well mine climbs. Yes it takes a bit more effort, but the bike stays planted on the climbs. The front wheel doesn't even try to lift off the ground, and I'm at 160mm in the front! Like a goat.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Go with the medium, I'm 5'8.5" and ride a small with short stem and seat moved forward.
    This last Sunday, for the 4th time, a Specialized rider eyed my bike and declared it must be a large size frame. I have an 2000 Enduro Expert in medium and the small Pitch is definitely bigger.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I should probably add that I have a large SJ FSR and a large Stinky and love riding the Stinky on the XC trails. There's nothing more fun then just barreling through every root, rut and rock that I have to ride around on my SJ FSR. The upright position is also more comfortable vs the stretched out feel of my SJ. I figure if a 45 lb Stinky is a fun on the trails then a 32Lb Pitch would be a blast! With the closeout deals on the Pitch ($1300) its cheaper then beefing up my SJ or lightening up my Stinky.

For the guys riding a medium, can you get the seat high enough for full extension on your legs or are you cramped?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    yes easily enough seat adjustment for me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Man, i am in the same position as you OP. I am 5'11" and currently ride a 18" stumpy ht. Everyone at the LBS tells me to get a medium enduro, but it just doesn't feel right to me... Then again, i've never riden a full suspension bike (other than test rides) let alone one with such slack angles.... But put me on an 18" giant and it feels great. Too bad the reigns are so ugly.

My biggest concern with getting a medium frame and using a long stem and layed back post is whether or not it would affect the suspension preformance. Who knows. Good luck OP.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Im sure there are as many reasons to buy large as there are to buy small. For me I went small because I am small and like to be able to manual without getting a hernia. I'm sure adding say 4" to my reach(diff in toptube small to large) would mean I never get the front wheel off the ground. Same thing goes for moving around on the bike, a smaller frame means I can move more from center than on a large bike, so I can put more "english" on it
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs