mtbr member

pitch pro vs stumpjumper fsr evo 29er

hi, im looking for a new bike and i really think that 29er have and edge, i have a 29er hardtail (carve) as my second bike and i love it,but in hard downhills whit jumps and steep trails my first choise is always my pitch pro whit 150mm of travel in front and back i feel secure thats it, but i see this stumpy evo 29er and i think is gona be like the pitch but whit 29er wheels, so i have the best of both worlds, what do you think should i go for the evo or keep the pitch?, i do a lot of climbing, lot of rocks and steep downhills and some jumps (no more than 4-5 feet).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a Stumpy FSR EVO 29er and a Pitch. I am seriously considering getting rid of the FSR EVO 29er. Of course this is all my opinion. My Pitch has a pushed RP2 and a Lyrik Coil on it, so it isn't exactly stock. With that said, I think the Pitch is all around more capable of a bike and is just more fun on the downhill's. I've ridden it at Whistler and Snowshoe, WV. I wouldn't dream of bringing the EVO there.

I don't have anything necessarily bad to say about the EVO, except the rear shock. I can't get it to feel how I want. It blows through travel unless I have the sag set to 15%. I have seen on other threads that this is common. It just hasn't lived up to my expectations.

To ME, my opinion, the EVO is an XC/Trail bike that leans a little more aggressive, the Pitch is an AM bike that you can build up Trail.

If I had it all over to do again, I wouldn't have bought the EVO for my riding style. If I were you I would spend the money on a new fork 36 or lyrik and push your rear shock or get a coil and a new wheelset.

I am probably going to sell the EVO frame and hang the parts on a steel 29er hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falling View Post
    I have a Stumpy FSR EVO 29er and a Pitch. I am seriously considering getting rid of the FSR EVO 29er. Of course this is all my opinion. My Pitch has a pushed RP2 and a Lyrik Coil on it, so it isn't exactly stock. With that said, I think the Pitch is all around more capable of a bike and is just more fun on the downhill's. I've ridden it at Whistler and Snowshoe, WV. I wouldn't dream of bringing the EVO there.

I don't have anything necessarily bad to say about the EVO, except the rear shock. I can't get it to feel how I want. It blows through travel unless I have the sag set to 15%. I have seen on other threads that this is common. It just hasn't lived up to my expectations.

To ME, my opinion, the EVO is an XC/Trail bike that leans a little more aggressive, the Pitch is an AM bike that you can build up Trail.

If I had it all over to do again, I wouldn't have bought the EVO for my riding style. If I were you I would spend the money on a new fork 36 or lyrik and push your rear shock or get a coil and a new wheelset.

I am probably going to sell the EVO frame and hang the parts on a steel 29er hardtail.
    Wow thanks for the advice i have 2 pitchs one set up whit 160mm and other more cross country build (a little less front travel cross country tires) i love this bikes, about a year ago i buy a 29er hardtail (specialized carve) i really like this 29er bike so i was thinking about the evo 29er, is the close thing to a pitch in 29er wheels, everybody talk great things about the evo i never try a full susp 29er,my type of riding is a lot af climbing and then goin down if i have more energy up again, all type of trails a lots of rocks and dry stuff in the winter and tons of water in the summer time,some jumps and technical trails but for shure im not a downhill guy, you sound like you are kind of downhill rider, but what i really want to now is why you donĘt like the Evo, Is bad climber,bad in jumps,don┤t trust the bike in the downhills?, you just feel that the pitch is better all around bike?, so no reason to spend up to $3000 US,in a new bike, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you have an XC and an AM Pitch I would say save your 3000 and go on a nice bike vacation someplace with one of the bikes!

In my opinion. I find that I can't climb as well with the EVO. It feels like there is a boat anchor attached to it on tech climbs or long fire road climbs, 45-60 minute climbs. Things I motor up with the pitch I struggle with on the EVO. Even though I have a 30 tooth front ring and a 36 tooth rear on the EVO.

I cannot get the rear suspension to my liking. If I get the small bump sensitivity up I bottom out, if I don't bottom out small bump goes away. I would send it to push if I keep it.

I also find that cornering is much slower than my Pitch, which is to be expected. This isn't my first 29er. I had the original 100mm Stumpy 29er FSR when it first came out. Then went to the Pitch now I have the new EVO.

I have evolved my riding style over the years. I think in the beginning I wasn't a good rider so the qualities of 29ers really helped me conquer some technical terrain. I got a DH bike and the Pitch at the same time and really focused on learning how to handle the bike properly, setup suspension, etc. My Pitch has seen a lot of abuse over the years so I bought the EVO as a replacement thinking I would enjoy a lighter bike and 29ers. I found my skills have increased enough that I can really feel the difference in cornering and handling from 29er to 26. Enough that I probably will sell the EVO Frame build up a steel hardtail and rebuild the Pitch.

Just my thoughts.