mtbr member
    Sep 2007

pitch pro or stumpjumper comp

hi guys, since my beloved 08 sx trail was stolen at christmas ive been relegated to road biking but i have a craving to start going off road again, im looking at the pitch pro which i can get for 1560 euros, i can also have a stumpy comp for 1793 euros, the pitch is 233 euros cheaper
    out in gran canaria i wont be doing much in the way of jumps or drops but its very dry very rocky and technical with rarely any flow anywhere, as a light rider im thinking the stumpy comp with 140mm is enough, anyone got experience with the fork on this thing? im used to fox forks but the revelation seems decent.

the pitch is cheaper so id save a little bit, componants wise theres not much in it, even the weight is negligable, 3 pounds?? mmmm what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Stumpy = XC
    Pitch = AM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the stumpy is a much more capable all mountain machine now, the pitch only has 10mm more and if i remove the spacer from the revelation ive got the same travel in the fork as the pitch on a lighter bike thats a better all rounder, i think im going for the stumpy

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper Comp
    2011 Yeti 575 Race
    2008 Gary Fisher Piranha

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Stumpjumper, but Im biased. I have a 2010 Pro, basically same frame as the 2011 Elite. Love riding this bike, its lived up to all my expectations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    id be going for the comp, looking at the bike it looks good to go, i want the front s works purgatory changed to a control version because due to the dry jagged rock nature of the terrain where i live s works tires are basically useless, the grappler grips have to go, the enduro lock ons are way better and remind me of the odi rogue,

i like the full sram set up i dont see the slx and xtr set up of the elite as an upgrade to the x7 and x9 set up on the comp, the revelation fork should work as good as the fox when its set up right, ive heard the wheels arent up to much but at my weight theyll hold up fine, the grey and black anodized paint job is perfect too although ive read somewhere its not really anodized at all, i think the extra cash for the stumpy is worth it, if they change out the parts for me i may pick it up this week

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Oh, I wasnt trying to say go Elite or Comp. Just letting you know the StumpJumper is an amazing ride in general! I also prefer a SRAM setup over the Shimano, although I have no issues with the Shimano setup on my bike(SLX Shifter/Xt rear Deraileur), but I do plan to upgrade those soon. I also have the 2011 Fox 32 Talas 140mm on mine, which I love. I cant speak for many other forks though. Ive ridden some Rock Shox(which like you said, when setup can ride very well) and a couple older Fox. The fork on my bike is the first thing you noticed when you get on the bike, it just rides awesome!

FWIW, my Stumpy weighed in at 27lbs. I just recently converted to 1x9, havent had the chance to weigh it since then, but from the sounds of it, you drop close to a lb. between the shifter, cable and front derailluer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my friend had a 07 stumpy elite with the fox talas, he loved it so much and even did down hilling with it so i hear what your saying, i dont know how much the comp weighs but im pretty sure its under 30 pounds from when i picked it up and thats good enough for me, even the pitch pro is is just over 30 pounds stock, thats light for what it is especially compared to my 08 sx trail

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, honestly my buddy has a Epic Marathon, weighs somewhere around 23-24 lbs. I can hop on my Stumpy and never even feel the extra weight. It must just be the way the geometry is designed or something, but it seems even up to the 30lb mark, an "all-mountain" style bike is just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i used to have a 23 pound epic, went on a 65 mile ride one day with my friend on his 07 stumpy elite, we swapped for a while and to be honest i didnt want to swap back, the bike was just a sofa compared to the epic, i didnt feel any extra weight i just felt like a king, i was very reluctant to swap back

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    So..make a decision on the bike yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yes im going for the stumpy, im just waiting for them to swap out the s works front tyre and grips, then ill go pick it up, they dont have the pitch down there id have to order it in, the stumpy has always been my favourite spesh bike though, and the new one is more capable than ever

See You At Santos!
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue View Post
    yes im going for the stumpy, im just waiting for them to swap out the s works front tyre and grips, then ill go pick it up, they dont have the pitch down there id have to order it in, the stumpy has always been my favourite spesh bike though, and the new one is more capable than ever
    Awesome! Make sure to post pics! I agree the new design Stumpy rides amazing!

Here is mine, I have since converted it to 1x9.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yeah 30 gears is overkill for me, the 20 gear set up on the elite is really neat and tidy i wouldve preferred that, however i dont need the brain, loads of complaints on the triad but at my weight its always worked great for me, ive read about the fragility of the rims on the comp also but again at my weight it wont be an issue, ill probably take the spacer out of the fork to raise it 150mm for a very capable trail bike, nice bike by the way i love those fork stantions