mtbr member
    May 2005

Pitch Pro Sizing?

Okay, I'd really appreciate some input from fellow Pitch rider's. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, longish torso/arms.
    Pretty sure I need the large based on my riding style, and previous bikes. Longer rides(2.5hr+), equally as much climbing as desending, mostly dedicated trail use. I've always preferred shorter stems(70-90mm) and a larger frame, as opposed to the other way around. Going by other Specialized bikes I've been able to swing a leg over(Stumpjumper FSR, and XC) everything points to a large. I've also read the Pitch's sizing seems off to some. Can anyone argue why I should go with a medium, without altering my riding style/intended purpose? Going by the TT measurements, the Pitch does not seem that much different than most large frames. Help me ease this decision. Ride On.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    most will say go big, I say go smaller than you would normally, at 5' 8" I ride a small
    discussed many times, most recently:

Pitch sizing for 5' 10"
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Get both sizes as demo's. Most spesh dealers have pitch's readily available to rent. I am 6'2" and I ride a L with a 55mm stem on mine and it fits perfect. I hesitate to say you should be on a L... just one of those subjective things because you're in between sizes. I'd guess Medium with the stock stem and some 710-730mm bars would fit real nice. Depends on your body type.

Def a M or a L tho.

Come on, dare me!
    To further help (or puzzle) you , I'm 5'9"1/2 and ride an M (while I ride an L Stumpjumper). I was going for a large at first, but the Pitch feels huge, so I got an M instead, with a 90mm stem and setback seatpost (I love long top tubes).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Pitch Pro Sizing?

i am 5'10" 32 inseam and i am fine on the Med, the large felt ok, but even with the seat down, i could barely touch the ground, for me the med rocks, however the stumpjumper is super cramped on the same size so don't get confused with that sizing, but again its your call

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the comment guys. I think if I go medium, I'll be stuck using a 90mm stem at a minimum, possibly 100mm or more. I don't like that idea. I'd much rather run a shorter stem, maybe 70mm or so, and still have a fairly roomy cockpit for climbing. If the bike was primarily for parks, shuttles, I'm sure a medium would be fine. It has to work for xc/trail duty mostly, all mountain/freeride lastly. Sadly I don't have access to either sizes, until I order one. I will try to call a couple other dealers.
    Thats how I roll, what length stem do you run out of curiousity? Ride On.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I run an 8 degree rise 60mm stem with 725mm bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Pitch Pro Sizing?

ride on--
    my bike is a stock med, riser is stock

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I managed to find a medium 09 Comp to demo on Monday. Hopefully that will be enough to help me decide on size. I believe stock length stems on M/L sizes are 75mm. If I feel cramped at all, I'm sure I'll be going large. Tentatively ordering the bike on Tuesday, can't wait! Thanks again for the opinions. Ride On.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride On
    Okay, I'd really appreciate some input from fellow Pitch rider's. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, longish torso/arms.
    Pretty sure I need the large based on my riding style, and previous bikes. Longer rides(2.5hr+), equally as much climbing as desending, mostly dedicated trail use. I've always preferred shorter stems(70-90mm) and a larger frame, as opposed to the other way around. Going by other Specialized bikes I've been able to swing a leg over(Stumpjumper FSR, and XC) everything points to a large. I've also read the Pitch's sizing seems off to some. Can anyone argue why I should go with a medium, without altering my riding style/intended purpose? Going by the TT measurements, the Pitch does not seem that much different than most large frames. Help me ease this decision. Ride On.
    You'll want the Medium, we're about the same size. Having tried the pitch is has a looooong wheelbase. By getting the shorter top-tube you'll be able to wheelie and get the front up easier(for AM riding this is what you want) Forget the pitch for XC though, it is like driving an 18 wheeler through tight-twisty single track.

And remember, you can't make the top-tupe shorter, but you can always make it longer .