Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

pitch pro-need help with fit

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Anno domino 
#1 ·
im 6'1" and at about 225 right now.i normally stay around 215.
no local shops have a pitch in stock but everyone says get the large.if im going to drop 2500 on a bike it better fit.is there a bike specialzed makes that i can get a fit on that will cross over?suggestions?

#6 ·
i finally got a chance to ride a ptich today.granted it was a MED and they had to kick the rear pressure up(225lbs) but it was so nice.
looks like a pro in large will be in my garage soon.i have noticed that some of you pitch owners have a black pike fork.did it come that way or was custome painted?

#8 ·
I'm 6'1, 225, 32" inseam. I demoed a medium and hated it. I bought a large Comp and love it. Perfect fit, just know that the geometry is pretty slack. Also, I was disappointed at the range of adjustment on the seatpost. It stops in the frame with about 7" of post still showing. On the bright side, there's plenty of post left past the little warning marks to lop an inch or two off and still keep the marks well below the clamp. I can still get plenty of leg extension.

#11 ·
nation1979 said:
i would say def a medium.my GF is about as tall and legs for days and she rode a med.she liked it
Awesome!

Thanks for your reply. I sat on a small and it seemed to fit me well, but I didn't take it for a ride yet...The reason why I am considering a small is because of this:

I am currently riding a 2001 Enduro FSR in a medium and I have been riding consistently for about two months and although I am getting quicker on the singletracks (slight DH), I still feel unstable during turns. It feels as if the bike keeps sliding under me during the turns. Now I have tried lowering the tire pressure and my seat, but for some reason my confidence is not growing. Would a small help me out more? I am a novice [don't let the name fool you, I was just being pretentious while I made it =)], but even though I am getting better as the days go by, I still feel unstable. Can you guys chime in some thoughts?
Thanks!

Julian

#12 ·
This is the current bike I am using:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-full/specialized/01-enduro-fsr/PRD_354916_95crx.aspx

I can safely assume that the pitch is a completely different beast than the bike mentioned above.

Is there a disadvantage in riding a smaller framed mtb? My LBS said I am right at the border between a small and a medium. When I stand above the small pitch top tube, there is about an inch from my pelvis and the tube. According to my local lbs, they said that the medium is about two inches bigger, so they said that I should ride a small.

Once again, any insights would be appreciated!

Julian

#13 ·
i almost bought the same bike used and for 2 reasons i didnt.1 was that i test rode the used bike at sly park.the owner was nice enough to let me really ride it.first corner it felt as if it was flexing under me,granted im heavier than normal(225 vs 210) but still didnt feel righ and the 2)reason is i had test rode a pitch and it had me at the first pedal.just felt more solid.

in the end,get what fits you best but remember with a small pitch its closer im size to a MED frame than most bikes.i think if you rode a med pitch it would be spot on.

and as for your name i was thinking A.M.Expert as in agreed medical evalulater xpert.i was going to ask you some personal question about my shoulder lol.
heres the pitch frame size brake down
Size S M L XL

Seat Tube Length - Center to Top 421mm 444mm 483mm 533mm

Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 565mm 586mm 620mm 645mm

Top Tube Length (Actual) 553mm 574mm 606mm 632mm

Chainstay Length 421mm 421mm 421mm 421mm

Bottom Bracket Height - Low Setting 356mm 356mm 356mm 356mm

Seat Tube Angle (Actual) - Low Setting 71.9° 71.9° 71.9° 71.9°

Seat Tube Angle (Effective) - Low Setting 74° 74° 74° 74°

Head Tube Angle - Low Setting 67° 67° 67° 67°

Standover Height 742mm 748mm 759mm 765mm

Head Tube Height 102mm 108mm 128mm 150mm

Handlebar Width 660mm 660mm 660mm 660mm

Stem Length 60mm 75mm 75mm 90mm

Crank Length 170mm 175mm 175mm 175mm

Seatpost Length 350mm 350mm 400mm 400mm

TT is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST
*Not all sizes available in all markets.

#18 ·
Jeez! It's been so long since my last post...I've been too busy riding my NEW pitch pro! =)

Thank you Nation1979 for all the help, but I ended up getting the small. The wheel base is actually very good compared to my body size/height.

I love this thing and I'm going 20394809384049283x faster than I did in my older 2001 enduro fsr. I'm also much more confident!

I am also confident that I will start upgrading some parts...although the bike is just fine the way it is!

Julian

#19 · (Edited)
I bought mine today. I'm crap at haggling (far too British and polite) but managed to get 10% off.

I went for LARGE. I tried medium and large and I can see how the medium would be good in certain situations i.e. more downhill use, but on the medium I was in a sit up and beg position. For this 6 footer it wouldn't have been the all day enduro all mountain, more a half day half mountain if you get my drift. The large just felt right for trail/XC/do everything/all day long. The LARGE pitch is almost identical in every way to the geometry of my 19in LARGE Gary Fisher Genesis Big Sur. Even down to the 24in ish effective top tube!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.