mtbr member

Pitch pro dented chainstay

i went OTB and crash nothing serius, continue my ride and don`t notice nothing wrong, but after the ride i see this dent in the chainstay and get worried, i now the pitch frame is strong but i don`t now if this put the integrity of the frame in danger (is a dent is not a crack), any advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pitch pro dented chainstay-005.jpg  

Pitch pro dented chainstay-002.jpg  

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pretty bad. It probably won't fail but if you have the funds get your dealer to get you a new chainstay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Time for a new chainstay imo. With a dent like that I wouldn't risk it, regardless of how tough a frame may be, most especially considering how close it is to the rear wheel. Gonna be a lot of stress in that area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Pretty bad. It probably won't fail but if you have the funds get your dealer to get you a new chainstay.
    thanks, my worry is that im riding this bike a lot and in some jump or hard stuff this thing fail, do you think specialized can sale only the chainstay and in the color of the frame? have to check whit spesh in mexico city, thanks for the advice

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    They probably have black chainstays for warranty. You could always get it painted to match fairly cheaply.

mtbr member
    I definitely wouldn't chance it. That's a pretty nasty dent.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

mtbr member
    JB Weld, two pieces of metal, a couple of hose clamps and you're good to go! Why spend hard-earned money on a new chainstay!

Cold Weld Frame Repair!!!

'12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
    JB Weld, two pieces of metal, a couple of hose clamps and you're good to go! Why spend hard-earned money on a new chainstay!

Cold Weld Frame Repair!!!

i don`t think is a good idea to repair that, is not broken or cracked is just a dent, if i try to take it out the place is gona be weaker.

mtbr member
    i just to talk whit specialized in mexico, they don`t have the chainstay in stock they have to order to spesh in the states and hope that they have it, so for now i think im continue to ride my dented pitch i don`t think is gona blow (for now till i get the part) feels prety solid, so if anybody have a pitch chainstay 2010 (black if posible) im intrested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brunomu View Post
    i don`t think is a good idea to repair that, is not broken or cracked is just a dent, if i try to take it out the place is gona be weaker.
    Please note the smilies in my post; I was being sarcastic and in no way espouse repairing the chainstay with freakin JB Weld.

If my carbon chainstay were dented, I'd send it to Calfee or Carbon Frame Repair here in the states. Even though you're in Mexico, you might want to think about sending the part to one of the two aforementioned vendors.

Good luck!
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    oh ok, thanks for the advice anyway if i don`t find the part From specialized i will try that but im shure that repair is more expensive than a new one.