Thread: Pitch Headset

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pitch Headset

I've got a friend with a '08 Pitch who recently had it repainted, and is looking for a new headset to replace the original as it gets put back together. Unfortunately, the Chris King he bought, and a CC S-3 I had, are both undersized for the Pitch head tube. His local shop wants $150 for a headset that fits the .004" oversized head tube (according to the shop). Anyone here got any better, cheaper ideas on a headset that fits?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How did his headtube get screwed up? the Pitch takes a standard 1 1/8th headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dagmz6s
    How did his headtube get screwed up? the Pitch takes a standard 1 1/8th headset.
    No idea. So the Pitch isn't slightly oversized like some of the other Specialiazed bikes? I'm not a Spesh guy, so I don't follow their specs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    did the cups in those two headsets that you tried just slip into the headtube or something? I just bought a pitch frame and prompty swapped out the POS stock headset for a cane creek S-8. it was a standard 1 1/8 headset, nothing special.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I really don't know why his shop is telling him this stuff. I punched them out with a mallet and cup punch, and pressed them back in with a headset press, and they didn't feel lose at all to me. He wants to replace the OEM headset, which he says is trashed, and the local Specialized dealer is telling him that Pitch head tube is oversized by 0.004" and he needs a special, oversized cup headset, which they are happy to sell him for $150. He had the shop install a Chris King and a CC S-3, which they said didn't fit.

Maybe he should try another shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    he should try another shop, its a normal 1 1/8th headtube. I watched my shop press my cups in and it was a normal install.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My stock died and I got a standard FSA pig pro. No problems on fit or anything.