mtbr member
    Feb 2004

pitch geo and sizing issues - (09 pitch comp pic inside)!!!

helo guys,

i just bought a 09 pitch comp in size large. i am about 6ft tall (1.83m) and i always ride Large size all mountain frames . i took my first ride today and i am having some issues with the length of the bike ,tt and wb wise - it is just huge !!!
    im planing on putting a 160mm fork on it and this will just make the wb even longer.

when i came back to the shop i measured the wb and it is a whopping 47.2" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i did a comparison with other am rigs (nomad,reign,mk3...) and the pitch is at least 2" longer in similar size !
    the tt is also extremely long at 24.4 (horizontal) !

i have an opportunity to change to a M pitch and i guess i could live with a 23" tt ,but a proper sized seat post wont get low enugh if i want full leg extension.

is it possible Spec doesnt realy have a Large pitch and screwed the geo that bad ???

your thoughts ?

thanks.
    Last edited by ILFREERIDER; 07-22-2008 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    You didn't get a 09. 2009 bikes wont be available anywhere till October or November at the earliest.

I'm 6'3 and ride a large and have no problems at all. My old bike was a 06 Enduro in a XL (my true size) and I found that it was waaaay too long. This is a good inch or two shorter. As far as your sizing issues, if you throw a longer fork on it it will add a bit of length to the wheelbase... it'll also raise your front end. Slide your saddle foward a bit and throw on a 40-50mm stem (I'm using a 70mm Thomson which is shorter than the stock 90-100mm stem), this will make the cockpit smaller and give you a better reach.

As far as the wheelbase goes, you might want to try it out on the trail before you hate on it, for me the bike is an absolutely perfect blend of stability and flickability. With that said, I can handle tight trails without any issues and I can bomb wide open trail sections easily too.

If the guy in the shop sold you a large b/c it is true to your size, maybe try a medium with a longer seatpost? Ultimately, you need to be comfortable on your bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    few things :

1.i work in the shop.
    2.i did get the 09 black&white model.
    3.i wrote i test rode the bike.
    4.stock stem is 75mm.
    5.M fits ok ,but no room for a proper length seat post .
    6.just realized no wb info on the pitch charts in spec site,i guess they know somthing is wrong.

looks like i might need a different bike ):

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...h%20Manual.pdf

Pitch manual. Wheelbase for the different sizes is in there.

Just bought a Pitch Pro. And all other bikes ive tried after riding it a month or so, feels cramped and small. But never felt that the Pitch is too big. Size L, and im 6ft1"

the #1 Stunna'
    the 09s are not here even for the shop to look at....however the pitch runs a bit big i am the same size as you and am super happy with the M and a layback seat post.
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ILFREERIDER
    helo guys,

i just bought a 09 pitch comp in size large. i am about 6ft tall (1.83m) and i always ride Large size all mountain frames . i took my first ride today and i am having some issues with the length of the bike ,tt and wb wise - it is just huge !!!
    im planing on putting a 160mm fork on it and this will just make the wb even longer.

when i came back to the shop i measured the wb and it is a whopping 47.2" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i did a comparison with other am rigs (nomad,reign,mk3...) and the pitch is at least 2" longer in similar size !
    the tt is also extremely long at 24.4 (horizontal) !

i have an opportunity to change to a M pitch and i guess i could live with a 23" tt ,but a proper sized seat post wont get low enugh if i want full leg extension.

is it possible Spec doesnt realy have a Large pitch and screwed the geo that bad ???

your thoughts ?

thanks.
    turn the seat tube around so the offset is forward and slide the seat all the way forward on the rails , this will take 2.5" out of the top tube .

i ride the XL enduro sl ( same bike as the pitch , i am slightly over 6'3 and the L was alittle small ( when i would do verticle climbs on walls and rocks my knees would be into my bars , shifters and bang the fork tubes.)

the XL is just alittle big , but with the seat post turned around and the seat slid forward the XL is perfect.
    the XL is over 48" wheel base and it is so cool on highspeed decents or nasty rock gardens ,---( way better than shorter bikes by far )

these AM bikes are designed with impossable climbing, ---nasty decending and every thing else a mountain can through at it.

they are so much more than just a trail bike ( alot of the other AM rigs are just trail bikes with more travel -----not neer as capable as the specialized AM rigs !!

they work very well , ------

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thank for the help guys !!
    i still dont know what to do ,but i have to decide tomorow so we will see.

btw ,the 09 has some minor spec changes (sealed spec rear hub ,dt 445 rims,slx front der and juicy 3 sl brakes). ill post a pic soon.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There was a review I read of the Pitch which said the larger sizes suffered from some funny geometry issues - can't find the link now sorry.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Found it...

However, such short chainstays mean larger sizes will have an unwieldy rearward weight bias. The medium is still a bit too long 5ft10in testers could fit a small.
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/...le_163830.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    as promissed ,my "no way you have it" 2009 pitch comp - hope next time you'll
    give a guy the benefit of a doubt !!!!
    (btw ,stayed with a L and got a 30mm stem, upgraded to a dhx5,minion 2.35 front and xt cassete)

thanks again for the help !
    Attached Images Attached Images

eBiker
    (btw ,stayed with a L and got a 30mm stem, upgraded to a dhx5,minion 2.35 front and xt cassete)!
    Looks sweet! Is the DHX Air your addition? or stock?

I hope that you find the long wheel base stability at speed is very nice.

IMHO, long wheel base + slack angles + low BB = mini DH = stupid fun

I have a L 06 enduro, with a straight (no layback) seatpost, and the seat pushed a bit forward to sharpen the SA, for those XC days.

P

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    dhx is my addition ,will try it this weekend.feels much better with the shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm 6'2 and 200 pounds, the pitch is the first large that felt right on me. I couldn't be happier with the feel and fit of the pro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    (btw ,stayed with a L and got a 30mm stem, upgraded to a dhx5,minion 2.35 front and xt cassete)

thanks again for the help !
    that is a sweet looking bike .

ive tryied both shorter stems on my enduro sl when it was set up for xc , and i did not like it.
    i will try them again in my different configuration and see if they work for me .

i really like the paint sceem on that 09 pitch

Come on, dare me!
    I used to have L-sized Specialized (FSR Elite, Rockhopper FSR, Stumpjumper FSR) but the Pitch is the first Specialized bike that feels too big for me in L size. I've checked it at a bike shop and it seems huge indeeed, so I went with a M. BTW, I'm 5' 9" 1/2 but have a pretty long torso, so I like long (24"+ on my Stump) and sloping/curved TT. When I stand beside the L Pitch, it feels and look more like an XL.

Loser
    I am 6' with a 35" inseam, just got a large Enduro SL - I came off a 19.5 (L) RM Switch. The wheelbase on the Enduro is a bit longer, but I actually feel like the cockpit is a bit shorter (I haven't done any measurements). I don't notice the extra WB at all on the trail, the bike feels pretty damn nimble.

I agree that this bike is a true AM bike - more in the XC/AM vein than AM/FR. Great fun on the trails!

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    as i said ,i stayed with the L (glad i did) and replaced the stem to 40mm.
    did a couple of rides and can honestly say that this is one mean trail machine !!!
    it climbs very well ,corners amazing and the rear suspension is just plushhhhhhhhh.
    will give a proper review once i will replace the pike with a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Picking my Pitch Pro up tomorrow!!!

btw I'm 5'7 ish and got a medium - had to have the seatpost at maximum extension on a small end the medium felt just right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Howd you get an 09???Our shop has the 09 catalog put we cant order the pitch
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 7" and got a M frame, kinda wish I got a S since it feels huge. I shortened up the stem to a 40mm and got a high rise bar and that seemed to fix it so far. But it still doesn't quite feel like a M frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wink

I'm same height as you and will probably buy the LARGE. It's no different in length than Gary Fisher Genesis geometry. Which I guess you either hate or love. I love.

Will return in about an hour or so with verdict of what size I have just bougt!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grum@sourpuss.info

What is it with magazines always choosing kid frame sizes? Are they seriously suggesting a 5ft10 rider could ride a small comfortably for AM (what the bike is for!) with its ickle 22inch horizontal top tube and 22 inch standover and 15in seat tube? ****ing idiots.

Magazines seem obsessed with sticking everyone on bikes sized for jumping.
    Last edited by Anno domino; 09-06-2008 at 06:21 AM.

mtbr member
    I just got an 08 Large Pitch. I'm 6'2" and I'm considering a longer stem than the stock 75mm. It doesn't seem unusually large to me. So far, very confidence inspiring on technical descents. And even though it's a little heavier than what I'm accustomed to, it climbs the technical stuff well. I really like the 2.3 tires. I've been riding 2.1s forever.

mtbr member
    And about the seat tube, I did cut 3" off of it to get it to sit all the way down for the really technical decents.