mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Upset pitch driveline issues

Hi everyone, today i broke my sram x7 rear derailer for the second time. My bike is an 08 pitch comp ( bought summer 09 as leftover ) and ever since i got it ive had issues with the rear derailer. Its not like im riding through thick brush, and getting it caught on everything. the first time it broke i was riding down a paved road, second time i was landing a jump and it snapped at the mount. the only thing i can think of trying now is to put on a short cage derailer as appose to my current med cage. and get rid of the big gear up front and put a chain guide on. i am so sick of having issues with rear derailers. anyone who has done this with a pitch before, what are your experiences with it? do you miss the big gear?

Any suggested derailers or set ups would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FRhansen
    Hi everyone, today i broke my sram x7 rear derailer for the second time. My bike is an 08 pitch comp ( bought summer 09 as leftover ) and ever since i got it ive had issues with the rear derailer. Its not like im riding through thick brush, and getting it caught on everything. the first time it broke i was riding down a paved road, second time i was landing a jump and it snapped at the mount. the only thing i can think of trying now is to put on a short cage derailer as appose to my current med cage. and get rid of the big gear up front and put a chain guide on. i am so sick of having issues with rear derailers. anyone who has done this with a pitch before, what are your experiences with it? do you miss the big gear?

Any suggested derailers or set ups would be appreciated
    I have been on a dual ring setup for about 4 years now. 2 on my pitch (same as yours) Get a 36 tooth middle ring and a 26 granny if you can find it, i rarely get spun out on the trails that bike was designed for, but on xc rides i find that i may need a gear or 2 extra on fast dh. if you can afford it, get a blackspire stinger to put on the chainguide mounts. It really helps with the chain slap. and don't forget to ease off the tension when shifting gears. and make sure you are not cross geared when you land the jumps. sometimes a simple landing can shred a der. get an x-9 and any bash guard. make sure you replace the cables, and check to see if your chain is toast. I have found that the x-7 tends to have a bit more travel through its spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    well im setting up a cart on pricepoint (if u know somewhere cheaper let me know) with a stinger chain guide x9 short cage derailer and race face gaurd(i finished doing that right before i got your reply). Using a 36 tooth gear, do you ever end up wanting a lower gear?

Stray Bullet
    If your RD is breaking off when landing a jump, more than likely you chain is too short.

I've been running a 36/24 set up on my 06 Enduro with a Stinger and medium cage X.9 RD for 3 years and have had no problems. Broke the rear hanger once when my wheel broke and chain caught in it. Only use a short cage RD if you have a single ring.

I'm also running the Shimano RD protector which works well.

Sometime I find myself hunting for a lower gear on climbs. Soon I'll swap the 24 chairing for a 22 and use the Shimano SLX FD designed around a 14 tooth difference.

Blackspire guide
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/152...hain-Guide.htm

SRAM X.9 Combo deal (tough to beat).
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/128...COMBO-2009.htm

Shimano SLX FD you'll want if you go 36/22
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/181..._31.8_34.9.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    well im setting up a cart on pricepoint (if u know somewhere cheaper let me know) with a stinger chain guide x9 short cage derailer and race face gaurd(i finished doing that right before i got your reply). Using a 36 tooth gear, do you ever end up wanting a lower gear?
    no, I usually am in the middle in back, and just alternate between the rings in front. on steep climbs the granniest granny is enough, there are smaller ring options, but as a general rule I keep about a teb tooth difference between the rings, a 12 tooth difference is my max cause 26 tooth rings are hard to find. make sure you get the right size ring, not the 5 point one. if 36 sounds rough, just keep the normal setup and see how it goes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I really appreciate the help. last question. How is it shifting between gears in the front while you have the stinger on? does the chain stay going through the stinger in both gears, or does it come out of the stinger when u shift into the granny.
    Last edited by FRhansen; 11-25-2009 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I know it was not because of my chain because it was on an extremely small jump compared to a lot of the things i do, and i was in a low gear. So your saying that i cannot use a short cage derailer with 2 gears in the front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I know it was not because of my chain because it was on an extremely small jump compared to a lot of the things i do, and i was in a low gear. So your saying that i cannot use a short cage derailer with 2 gears in the front.

With a nine speed cassette, it is generally accepted that

1x9=short cage
    2x9=medium cage
    3x9=long cage

There are exceptions of course and some use a short cage for 2x9, but some of the gears may not be usable. Some use a long cage on 1x9....I have no idea why.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The pitch comes stock with an x7 Med cage for a 3x9...

I guess I have to ask but have you tried adjusting the B-Tension? I had issues with that on my other bike. I did not adjust the B-Tension on both high and low rings in the rear and caused the deraileur to touch itself in some gears and if I hit something just right it would bounce and tear the hanger in two and rap the deraileur into the wheel.

I however have not had any problems like you explain with my pitch. Been running the stock x7 med cage with no problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    well i have already ordered a new x9 med cage, and im getting rid of the 44t gear and putting on a bash and a stinger. i am going to be extra careful with everything i set up on this new one. the x7 i was using has a broken mount so theres nothing to be done with it now. I think my pitch might just be a lemon. i also had an issue with my fork after only having about 10 hours riding time on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cool well best of luck with it and hope it works out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for all the help guys