mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pitch comp vs. FSRxc comp

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike and I am trying to decide between the Pitch comp and the FSRxc comp. I'm looking for a bike that is good for riding trails and distances but will also hold up if I feel like being a little adventurous and getting off the trail a little. Any thoughts or advice on which bike might be the better choice is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had a 2005 FSRxc and while it is good value and perfectly capable it is limiting when you start pushing it. I have a 2006 Enduro with pikes on the front now and it is much more confidence inspiring and probably quite similar to the pitch. The additional weight isn't that much more. I think if you bought the FSRxc you would be regretting it a few months down the line and want a bigger bike (if you start pushing your limits that is).

mtbr member
    How about the Stumpjumper FSR Comp? It is right inbetween the pitch and FSRxc (FSRxc is XC, pitch is All Mountain, Stumpjumper is Aggresive XC). You can find steals on a brand new 07 Stumpy right now (Like $1700!!)

mtbr member
    The FSR XC is a great trail bike and a good value for the money.

The Pitch Comp is a great all mountain bike and a good value for the money.

What do you mean by "off trail?" If you mean an occasional small drop (1-2') or technical feature, the XC will be fine. If you mean occasional downhilling on rough trails or ski areas, medium to larger drops (4-8') and similar abusive riding, get the Pitch.

I love my Pitch.

mtbr member
    I had a FSR XC 08, sold it for a pitch, asoon things start to get bumpy, you will be quite uncomfortable on the xc.... not so much you coming off, more like you feel you are goin to break it more than anything. Ive ridden my pitch pro on a mountain bike marathon, it wouldnt have been as good as the FSR XC but its worth it wehn you feel how good the pitch at goin dwnhill ot on rougher terrain... for the money it is a bargain!

get the ''pitch pro'' tho for the fox RP2 & as fuzz said.... I ALSO LOVE MY PITCH lol!
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    love the pitch. I got the comp, because the extra $ for the pro didn't seem to justify what parts it came with....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was in the same boat. I had an 07 FSR XC and after 9 months of riding it, I sold it and got a the Pitch Pro. I love my bike and wish I could REALLY ride the bike the way it's supposed to be ridden. I'm pretty heavy (at least I think so) so I swapped out the RP2 and put in a DHX 5.0 Coil. The bike is sooooooo nice, its like riding a couch down the single track. Yeah it's a little on the heavy side, but so am I. Great bike for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    I had a FSR XC 08, sold it for a pitch, asoon things start to get bumpy, you will be quite uncomfortable on the xc.... not so much you coming off, more like you feel you are goin to break it more than anything. Ive ridden my pitch pro on a mountain bike marathon, it wouldnt have been as good as the FSR XC but its worth it wehn you feel how good the pitch at goin dwnhill ot on rougher terrain... for the money it is a bargain!

get the ''pitch pro'' tho for the fox RP2 & as fuzz said.... I ALSO LOVE MY PITCH lol!

mtbr member
    I had this same debate, I ended up with a 08 Pitch Comp, was just a better bike overall and it still climbs well. The FSR XC will leave you wishing for a little more

Stump McBeefknuckle
    I'm late to the party but I'd like to echo the Pitch comments. I have the Comp and have been really happy with it. The trails I ride are like a motocross track with roots and I don't think I'd be anywhere near as confident on an XC bike. I'm 240lbs (around 260 with gear) and the bike handles smaller (3ft) drops with no problem at all.

I'm probably going to switch to a single chainring up front and upgrade the rear shock, but aside from that I'm perfectly happy with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The pitch can handle almost anything you can throw at it and climbs well to but not nearly as well as a stumpjumper. Thats the tradeoff you make faster downhills and slower up or vice versa, i personally want to climb faster thats why im selling my pitch and looking to get something along the lines of a stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just taken my new Pitch Pro out for the first time and its awesome! Climbs much better than my old hardtail with the propedal on and forks locked, then going downhill is just crazy, gives me so much more confidence.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Well... it sounds like you are pretty new to mountain biking, correct?

For a lot of terrain, the FSRxc is going to be the better choice for you. It will climb better, be lighter, and can still take on pretty rough terrain along with small jumps and drops. A lot of the benefits of the Pitch will really only become apparent when you start going a lot faster and really pushing the limits of how fast you can go on a particular stretch of trail. If you are a newcomer... that might be a bit before you would really start noticing any benefits from the Pitch. In the meantime, you'll just be pushing that extra weight all the way to the top of the mountain.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that you can extend the fork on the FSRxc up to 130mm of travel (I did that with my 3-4 year old one), which greatly improves the downhill performance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight

Plus, I'm pretty sure that you can extend the fork on the FSRxc up to 130mm of travel (I did that with my 3-4 year old one), which greatly improves the downhill performance.
    Not without voiding your warranty, if you care about that.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyRS
    Not without voiding your warranty, if you care about that.
    How would it void your warranty? The fork is designed to be set at 80, 100, or 130mm. All it takes is removing a travel spacer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    From the 200 FSR XC manual:

FORK SETUP
    INFORMATION
    WARNING! The FSRxc and Myka frames are compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have travel of 4.0” (100mm) or less.
    Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result in catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious personal injury or death.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Alright, fair enough.

Though I can't imagine 30mm of extra travel causing 'catastrophic frame failure'

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Me neither...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm curious, what is the weight difference between the Pitch and the FSRxc or Stumpjumper FSR?

mtbr member
    i think the stumpy weighs in at around 30 for the comp, maybe a pound or two less. Not sure about the pitch or FSRxc

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pitch is 31-32lbs.

Super Fly
    I have a S-Works stumpjumper 06 with 130mm of travel. Its a great all around bike. Climbs very well. I used to ride a DH rig and was always sweeping the back. Now im leading in front of the pack most of the time. It decends very well especially on Stan's tubeless setup on 20 psi. I ride on 20 psi, Up or down. Oh yeah, My Stumpie weigh in at about 24 pounds with the tool bag and tubes in it.