mtbr member
    Jul 2008

pitch comp brake upgrade

i have been reading ALOT and dropped the $ on a pitch comp today.the main complaints were grips,brakes and pedals.well ihave a grip i always use,same with pedals.now with the brakes im new to disk and really new to hydro disk.so i read some reveiws on the hayes strokers that come on the comp.bottom line,thats my first change.i really want good brakes that dont make a ton of noise.i have read really good things about the Avid Ball Bearing Disc Brake kit(BB7).yes its mechanical but its also simpl,.effective and easy on the wallet.would this be a stupid move?my other thought was changing to a hayes higher end brake if i could reuse things like the levers.but over all the the avids really made me think.feel free to slam me or make suggestions
    Last edited by nation1979; 07-26-2008 at 01:38 PM.

the #1 Stunna'
    I am ordering brakes for my pitch pro tomorrow. even the top end pitch only has juicy 3s I am going to order either the juicy 7s or the Avid Codes (depends on price.) If i were you i would look into at least Juicy 5s or shimano XT. I am not personaly a big fan of Hayes, however i am sure some of the higher end models are good too.

Here is a link to some good prices on some brakes......Also check with your LBS and see if there is anything that they can do, sometimes people upgrade, and then just leave them with the shop, and they can sell them to you for CHEAP!
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i just spent the last 2 hours reading reviews on the BB7's.i think i might just go that route.keep i simple and effective.but i am going to check with my LBS and see.hell from what i read i would consider a straight trade for the BB& and they can keep the hayes

mtbr member
    Grips and pedals - ditto.

My Stroker Rydes have been perfect after some initial alignment issues (shop's fault, not Hayes'). So powerful, no fade, good modulation. I say ride them for a while and put the money elsewhere - maybe tires. I'm not totally thrilled with my Eskar Sports.

The only complaint I have about the brakes would be the big loop of hose going to the front brake. I might change the hose or the fitting so it lies more flush against the fork.

That said, BB7's are great, just use high quality cables.

the #1 Stunna'
    what pedals and grips do your bikes come with? i had NO problem with the grips and i put clipless on on Day one before the first ride
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If they aren't enough for you, upgrade to the stroker trails, or carbons. The strokers are awesome....have you ridden on the rydes yet? Make sure that they aren't enough power for what you are doing....they probably surpass most brakes....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    juicy 5. the stock rydes suck ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    for grips theres a couple i always use.i severed the the nerves in both hands by my thumbs,so with thin grips my hand cramps because i squeeze so hard.and i have bee using the came clipless pedals for 10 years.broken in and have a slightly bigger pedal platform than the new shimano yet not as big as say a 545.

no,other than reveiws and the test ride i really have not rode the strokers.i have been doing bussiness with my LBS for over 15 years.so when i ordered i changed the cranks at shop cost.they are also letting test any stem i want to get that perfect fit.when i talked with them about the brakes they had no problem with me changing them out for something else and giving me credit for the strokers.i under stand theres a large mixed reveiw about them.at under 100$ for the BB& i guess i could give the hayes a shot.if i hate them(not enough power or what not)ill put them on my GF bike and get the BB&

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Actually this is another area where the speccing on the Pro and Comp leaves me confused.

The Avid Juicy 3 is not an upgrade over the Hayes Stroker Ryde. They each have their good and bad points and cost about the same....

The Hayes are more powerful though. Hayes 08 range of brakes are winners IMO. They are also very good value for money (something not usually said about Hayes).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shimano XT great value disc brake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Piddly pistons though. Compared to the Clyde stopping power of 22mm dia Hayes or Formula...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, could throw a 200/180 front back combo. I thought my old avid j7's were more powerful but were also loud, leaked, and didn't modulate as well. That said for my riding style the xt's offer plenty of power.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    give the rydes a chance, I have no complaints, but I'm light 170lbs, you can always go with the stroker trails which everyone raves about

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i was impressed by the Rydes.. very one finger grabby more power than an Avid to be sure.

I got new Stroker Trails in a box here. Will try them at some point.