mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Pitch or Bust...or is it?

repost
    Sorry for the long post
    Last year in February I bought a Jamis XLT frame and built it up from my hardtail-obviously I needed better fork, shifters, drivetrain, and all the other bits and pieces.-I would love to still upgrade the brakes as they are mechanical discs (I know). and my rear wheel is due for replacement. At the same time Im eyeing the new Specialized Pitch Pro which comes with a nice set of brakes I dont need to upgrade, and other brand new components I do not need to make lighter/better/stronger blah blah ......
    The issue at heart is that even with semi decent components on the Jamis (Marzocchi AM1, xt/lx drivetrain etc ) the bike still weighs in at 35 lbs. Weight itself is not the only issue- on the Pitch I like the front axle for cornering stability as my bike is qr. As we all know it is very expensive to replace/upgrade 1 component at a time when bike companies buy thousands of them at once.
    My accounting departament is aware of the situation and tentatively I could buy the Pitch next month- It's just the pangs of guilt I feel about spending that kind of money.
    However, there is also a voice in my head that says-the Pitch already has all you'll need on a bike and there is no need to upgrade it till stuff breaks. ...Thoughts from like minded individuals would be very appreciated-I cant be alone in this.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Do It!!!

I was riding a 2007 FSR XC for about 9 months before I test rode the Pitch. I thought about it for a few weeks and just pulled the trigger. I'm so glad I got it. I sold my FSR XC 2 days after and I've been happy with my Pitch ever since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

True four-bar

Hey, the Pitch is also a superior true four-bar not Jamis' faux-bar. Jamis used to use a Horst Link but don't any longer. Just another excuse to score the Pitch.

mtbr member
    Chuck it up, drop the cash and get the pitch! It will be a far cry from your current ride and will most likly weigh less too. For the longest time I was going to go with the Pitch because it had just about everything I could want on a bike including the price. But two weeks ago I changed my mind and stepped up to an SL just because I got a great deal on a frame and fork. But if it wasn't for the better deal, I would have stayed with the Pitch. But none the less, the Pitch is a gnarly 6 incher for sure and can be quite the diverse ride. As for the buyers remorse..... It will pass as soon as you take a spin or two on it and if that isn't reason enough then sell your Jamis to compensate for the loss for a much better quality ride.

Keep us posted on your decision
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    The mountain bike buying public as a whole are remarkably stupid. They buy what they are told to by the media.

mtbr member
    I bought a Pitch thinking it had everything I would want and that I wouldn't upgrade stuff untill it broke.

That lasted all of about a week. There is no cure for upgraditis.
    NKAWTG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski
    I bought a Pitch thinking it had everything I would want and that I wouldn't upgrade stuff untill it broke.

That lasted all of about a week. There is no cure for upgraditis.

What did you break and have to upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    The mountain bike buying public as a whole are remarkably stupid. They buy what they are told to by the media.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "What did you break and have to upgrade?"
    He didn't break anything-he replaced parts on the Pitch with lighter/stronger/better stuff -
    That's Upgraditis in full force. I feel for you Finski- we need to start a support group....
    Repeat after me: My rig is good, not perfect but still good.....
    (I only wish I could take my own advice..........)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by punctualhubert
    "What did you break and have to upgrade?"
    He didn't break anything-he replaced parts on the Pitch with lighter/stronger/better stuff -
    That's Upgraditis in full force. I feel for you Finski- we need to start a support group....
    Repeat after me: My rig is good, not perfect but still good.....
    (I only wish I could take my own advice..........)

Yep, you know it.
    NKAWTG