mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pike on 05 Enduro?

Would a RS Pike Sl work well on an O5 Enduro Expert. Is the fork A to C long enough for that frame or will it make the handling twitchy as compared to the stock Fox Talas 36 equipped bike?

Old fart
    Aug 2005
    The Pike is about 520mm A-C, the 36 is 535mm so there's a 15mm difference. Those 15mm will sharpen the steering angle about 0.5 - 0.75 degrees. So if you use the slack shock mounting shuttle you'll end up with a head angle around 69 degrees and a lowish BB.

I ran my -05 SX Trail (same geometry as regular -05 Enduros) with a Pike for a while paired with the slack shock shuttle and to me it was spot on for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by al-r
    Would a RS Pike Sl work well on an O5 Enduro Expert. Is the fork A to C long enough for that frame or will it make the handling twitchy as compared to the stock Fox Talas 36 equipped bike?
    Don't Spesh do a 138mm travel version of the Enduro for '06? Sounds like the perfect partner to a Pike to me.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    What style of riding do you plan to do with that set up?
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mostly trail use but I plan to use it for a bit of lift servicwed biking too. I also have a new Nixon Comp fork , any opinions on which would work better on the Enduro?

mtbr member
    I have a pike coil on my new enduro (pictures will follow soon)

And I love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mostly trail use but I plan to use it for a bit of lift servicwed biking too. I also have a new Nixon Comp fork , any opinions on which would work better on the Enduro?
    I suppose it depends if the Manitou has a 20mm axle or not, as a burly bike like the 05 Enduro really does benefit from a stiffer front end.

That said, I've read A LOT of reports about IT Nixons having reliability issues and the tyre clearence fix reduces the travel somewhat. I've never used a Nixon myself so can't comment on their day to day virtues but I'd speak to other 05 Enduro (or 05 Giant Reign) owners who have them fitted.

One other option which would work very well indeed would be the Manitou Sherman. My friend has them fitted to his '05 SX Trail and the front end feels nailed down. One of the journalists for MBR in the UK swapped his Nixons for Shermans on the long term Enduro and gave some very positive feedback.

The one that intrigues me is the Enduro Elite, with 138mm rear wheel travel. That, coupled with a Pike would make quite a bike IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Six inch enduros run on a 8.75"x2.5" shock. Switch this to a 8.5"x2.25" and you've got the perfectly Pike balanced Enduro, or, if you will, the Enduro Elite. You get around 5.5 inches of travel and a somewhat lower, though not noticeably, bottom bracket. Shame you can't get the Enduro frame with a 8.5"x2.25" shock...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

...not sure if I'm to late with my reply:

I've test ridden a '05 SX trail with a Pike last week and found it perfect. Liked it so much that I ordered a '06 Enduro Expert (instead of a Stumpy FSR as originally planned) and have the Fox fork swapped for the Pike as I was looking for some kind of climbing ability....

...hope that helped...