Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

pic of my 08 SJ FSR Pro Carbon

I took a quick ride before and it did feel nice and plush.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Sweet ride! A local shop has one in stock that I was able to fondle. The frame has some really nice details - looks to be pretty well thought out for a new design. Not sure about the weight, but it is definitely light - XC racer light.

Read that Ned said he would choose the FSR over the Epic for certain really rough race courses. The thing must be pretty efficient if that's the case!

Enjoy the ride and let us know what you think!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

weight

24.75 with pedals on digital scale size medium

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What no review this is Bulls*%t! Nice ride I can't wait to hear the review. By the way the CRF looks a little dirty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

testing fri all day

I will be testing all day to compare it to my other recent rides

08 Epic Expert (test ridden 3 days)
    08 Enduro SL Expert (test ridden 1 week) very very cool bike!!!!!!!!!!!!
    08 SJ FSR Expert (test ridden 1 week)
    07 SJ FSR Pro Carbon (owned 1 year)
    05 S-Works Epic Disc (owned 2 years)

Your killing my Strava
    Forget about the bike, How do you like that 450???

mtbr member
    Oh so pretty. Nice ride.
    www.MtbTi.com "Titanium bolt kits for your bike"

mtbr member
    Very nice! I never thought that tan and browns would look so nice on a bike??? Looks very nice intigrated like that. I have yet to see one of the 08s in person yet.

Have fun!

Rob

The Other Dude
    What made you go for the carbon? I want to hear how it rides compared to the 08 Expert, i test rode one (at first i was gonna buy it, but then got talked into a test ride first) and i just wasent impressed, i want to hear about that fork though! If it truely is under 25lbs stock with pedals, i am interested, cause the expert weighed a good bit more.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    under 25 lbs yes (scales may vary)

The only reason I went carbon is for the fork. And I will say it seems plusher compared to the Fox 120.

Side note: I rode the new Fuel Ex for about an hour and yes its plusher than the SJ FSR Expert but the Trek just was to sluggish/lacked snap on the climbs kind of what my 07 FSR Pro Carbon felt like. I think the 08 SJ Pro Carbon is this years hot ticket because of the fork.

mtbr member
    Donít let me get close to that bike, might drool all on it... Seriously though that is a really nice bike, cant wait for the review.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by vs779
    under 25 lbs yes (scales may vary)

The only reason I went carbon is for the fork. And I will say it seems plusher compared to the Fox 120.

Side note: I rode the new Fuel Ex for about an hour and yes its plusher than the SJ FSR Expert but the Trek just was to sluggish/lacked snap on the climbs kind of what my 07 FSR Pro Carbon felt like. I think the 08 SJ Pro Carbon is this years hot ticket because of the fork.

That is my dilemma, i am going back and forth between the Fuel EX 9.0 (i rode and EX 8 and loved it) or a stumpy pro carbon, either way i will be waiting awhile before i get one as I am going to EP it. I loved how plush the trek was on a quick ride through the park (no single track) and i did ride the Stumpy for a few days of single track and something just didnt feel right, i dont know, it was probably just setup i am sure. Oh well, i guess i got a while before i have to decide...........in the meantime write up a review to make my decision easier as i want to stay loyal to specialized!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    What a beautiful bike, I just love the colours.

Whatís the fork like and does the front and back feel balanced?

Founder: Dirty3hirties

Carbon protection - ISC Racer Tape

I know this is common on the Ibis forum but I wanted to pass on this information to other carbon owners. Helicopter/leading edge/surface guard tape has been around forever.....but it also works very well for bikes....especially carbon bikes. There are also kits sold with this same type of material specifically for bikes but they don't work as well IMO.

This is what I use: http://www.racerstape.com/rtp.html#S...20Guard%20Tape

I prefer this because it's also a tape....most of the other stuff is a wet application method only. This goes both ways. So in some instances it's easier to apply dry....and in others wet. Plus there's a whole lot more on these rolls.

I spoke to Dan at ISC and he's been noticing a lot of people asking for this tape for bikes but he's trying to get more exposure into this market. He's a great guy and sent me a couple rolls for free. All I had to do was just do a little write up on MTBR about the stuff and he sent a kit to MBAction for them to do a little thrash test.

Anyways....if anyone is looking for a cheap, effective and super clean way to protect the carbon's finish....this is it. Let Dan know you heard about it from MTBR if you decide to give him a call.....

Mulleticious

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hey vs779 - really cool bike - we're getting a different paint job here in the UK. May I ask where, when and how did you get it? I'm still waiting despite having ordered it 2 months ago and the delivery date is now 4th Jan! What's your secret?

green with envy...

Texan
    Man, I love the color!

I hate Hondas though! lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

review

First let me address the racer tape thread. Specialized already put a section of clear tape under the down tube to protect the frame and included an additional peice for future use (nice touch). Next let me address the UK thread. I live in the US, NJ to be exact and just recieved the bike on Wed. The best way to get one is stay on top of your dealer and have them call the local rep. I know in the US they are avail and ready to ship.

Fit and finish: Nice clean design, paint is sharp and looks like it won't scratch easily as the 07's did.

Fork performance: Nice job Specialized! This forks works! it stays high in the travel picks up the little bumps and does not dive under hard braking. The only thing I would change is a taller knob for the air chamber as its hard to get off and on. Overall I like it better than the Fox just feels more fluild.

Shock: nothing new here same performance as the 07, hard or soft whichever you prefer just turn the dial
    Last edited by vs779; 11-30-2007 at 05:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Descending: confidence inspiring! this bike is as good as the Enduro Sl on the descents it goes where you point it has alot to do with the fork. You never have that going over the bars feeling.

Climbing: I have to admit the alum version feels better not that it is it just feels that way must be carbon I had this same feeling on my 07 SJ Carbon. I took it up a few technical climbs and it performed great. This design doesn't sqaut under hard acceleration which makes it a great climber.

Single track: This bike flys, it goes where you wan't it to and sticks in the turns. If you see a rock garden ahead just hit it the bike will carry you over.

Overall: 9-10 if it felt faster I give it a 10

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

bike stand

Dude... Where did you get that bike stand? That thing is awesome.

Your bike is sweet too, How muddy is it now?

Quote Originally Posted by vs779
    I took a quick ride before and it did feel nice and plush.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wrench Science bike stand, any Trek dealer can get you one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I demand more pics! It looks different (better) than it is on spec site.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    That is one trick looking bike. The stumpy that is. I'm more of a Yamaha fan, but Hondas are good too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OOOOOHH That is awesome.... Here I sit trying to work out which one of my kids I should sell to sience, So I can raise the money for one of those..... a dream machine I'm sure.. Thanks for the drool session.. T

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Honda rules and so does your Stumpy! nice sled!!! I really like mine but I have an Alu version - wouldn't mind test riding a Carbon Stumpy one of these days to compare...

Thanks for the initial feedback..

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looking good!, I'm with Grocerybaghead, we need more pictures and a review, especially as here in the UK they are making us wait longer. I've been old February!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast