mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Pic of my 07 Sworks enduro and shock hitting frame?

mtbr member

Need More Pics But...

gti...
    Would like to see pics that show the spacing on both sides of shock to the pierced seat tube.

Are they even?

How much space is on each side?

Exessive rearend play would have to be pretty excessive to allow the shock to hit the seat tube. Tilt bike, place some weight on one side of the cranks and press, can you make the shock hot the tube?

CS
    JW
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    gti...
    Would like to see pics that show the spacing on both sides of shock to the pierced seat tube.

Are they even?

How much space is on each side?

Exessive rearend play would have to be pretty excessive to allow the shock to hit the seat tube. Tilt bike, place some weight on one side of the cranks and press, can you make the shock hot the tube?

CS
    JW
    It is fairly even - there isn't any 'play' in the bike - brand new bike. If anything, it's from flex. I'm strong and heavy (220lbs right now) and I descend trails aggressively (not a hucker or ANYTHING like that though). Plus we have those slippery roots where your bike will slide sideways off the wet root. Anyway, I think it's just flex. It doesn't do it on the other side of the shock either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    . Anyway, I think it's just flex.
    That has to be some serious flexing, dude!

It looks to me like the shock came into contact with the frame while the shock was being installed, as a matter of fact I will bet on it! Otherwise, due to the location of the mark on the shock, the frame is flexing into the shock (which I can't see happening b/c your frame is an Enduro and is a proven rock solid frame for some hard abuse). That being said I am curious as to what your LBS or Specialized said regarding your situation? And out of curiosity how much riding experience do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    The mountain bike buying public as a whole are remarkably stupid. They buy what they are told to by the media.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stylie
    That has to be some serious flexing, dude!

It looks to me like the shock came into contact with the frame while the shock was being installed, as a matter of fact I will bet on it! Otherwise, due to the location of the mark on the shock, the frame is flexing into the shock (which I can't see happening b/c your frame is an Enduro and is a proven rock solid frame for some hard abuse). That being said I am curious as to what your LBS or Specialized said regarding your situation? And out of curiosity how much riding experience do you have?
    I haven't spoken with either one about it. I have more bicycle experience than the average cyclist..... Well, I'll just ride a few more times and see if anything more happens.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Put a piece of tape over the area to see if it gets marked up after a hard ride. I'd be surprised if it is flexing that much.

You probably have by now, but I'd check all pivot bolts to be sure they are torqued to spec. Your might get your lbs to give the bike a once over if you don't have a torque wrench.

mtbr member
    GTI,
    Based on the location of pivot points and shock mounting there would have to be a heck of a lot of play to allow the shock to bind against the seat tube if there is already say 1/8 inch clearance on both sides. Was hoping to confirm with additional pics as requested.

Without that info, I would suspect that Stylie is on track when he suggested it was due to installation/assembly by Spech. Black electric tape (Sthrnfat) wound round the shock as suggested would be perfect to confirm. If that is the culprit you can cleanup by removing the shock, smoothing out the visuals with sandpaper or very light use of a bastard file. Clean then use some black permanent marker to hide the blemish.

Simple solution to beautify your ride.

Keep us posted with your conclusions…

CS
    JW
    C.SPRINGS