mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Phenom saddle and custom sizing

I'm thinking of getting a Phenom SL Saddle to replace my SLR but I fit between a 143mm and a 155mm so I'm not sure if the 143 will be too small for my sit bones. Also why does the phenom saddle not come in 155mm?

The Other Dude
    If you go the the shop, they should have the fitting setup there if they sell the saddles, they can take some measurements and make sure you get the correct one. I know our shop assures you the correct saddle fit if you buy a specialized saddle from them, if you dont like yours after a few rides, you can bring it back for an exchange or a full refund.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have the Rival SL in a 143 and measured just like you. I can ride that saddle all day long and be totally confortable. Also, because of the shape, I can really climb well. I had a friend and we were in the moutains in northern GA and he was riding a Specialized FSR loaner and he thought the bike climbed really well and he really liked the comfort of the Rival saddle. He has since replaced his WTB on his SC Blur and was amazed how much better his bike climbed. I also ride their Alias saddle on the road which has also fixed any issues anyone who didn't like their road saddle as well. Just my two cents and it could save you some cash. It will be the first thing I put on my new bike next week.

mtbr member
    First, I think the Phenom still works fine even with the wider sit bone gap as I've seen a couple of guys that use the wider saddles on mine and they like it (Phenom Gel 143). I wish there was an option for a Phenom with the tail section of the gel but the nose of the normal Phenom.

Having written that, the Rival SL is also a pretty nice saddle and fairly tough, unlike the OEM Rival that came with my 07 Stumpy FSR. The Rival SL is fairly light and comfortable (as NashvilleBlur mentioned), while the regular Phenom and Phenom SL is a little too thin for me so I got the gel. I just needed the larger opening in the middle of the saddle primarily, but the Phenom is a favorite in our group right now. We'll give it a year and see how it holds up.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    First, I think the Phenom still works fine even with the wider sit bone gap as I've seen a couple of guys that use the wider saddles on mine and they like it (Phenom Gel 143). I wish there was an option for a Phenom with the tail section of the gel but the nose of the normal Phenom.

Having written that, the Rival SL is also a pretty nice saddle and fairly tough, unlike the OEM Rival that came with my 07 Stumpy FSR. The Rival SL is fairly light and comfortable (as NashvilleBlur mentioned), while the regular Phenom and Phenom SL is a little too thin for me so I got the gel. I just needed the larger opening in the middle of the saddle primarily, but the Phenom is a favorite in our group right now. We'll give it a year and see how it holds up.
    Update on how it is holding up?