mtbr member

Phenom non gel saddle for a heavy rider

Thinking of going with the specialized Phenom saddle. Thing is I'm around 235 pounds. I noticed they have a gel version but I already use shorts that are pretty heavily padded with the chamois. I'm just thinking that along with the extra padding from the gel version may be too much padding. Being over 200 pounds should I even be considering the regular Phenom saddle? It just looks like a very nice saddle and I would of course order the 143mm version. Thanks in advance.
    Explorer in the further regions of experience. Demons to some, angels to others.

mtbr member
    Ah heck I won't lie the regular phenom saddle looks so much sexier than the gel version. I wanted to order the gel version a while back but couldn't find a place to order one now I found one. For some reason it's hard to find the regular version of the phenom but the phenom sl is everywhere. I think I'll just order the gel version and just deal with the uglier look. Slimmer guy's always seem to get the hotter chick's, and hotter bike saddles....just the way of the world. At least I can say that my saddle is bigger than yours to many riders at the bike park.
    Explorer in the further regions of experience. Demons to some, angels to others.

mtbr member
    Oh well I can't seem to find the phenom gel version on the net anywhere. It looked like one was on ebay but it already sold. I don't want the lighter titanium version I'll break that sucker in half just the regular one. Sucks that no bike stores in my area carry these.

Ha just after I typed this message one just popped up on ebay and I snatched it. Awesome can't wait to try it out
    Last edited by Hellbound; 10-05-2008 at 12:43 AM.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    There will be a learning curve, with the Phenom SL. Your sit bones will be in complete shock once you lay butt down on them, because they feel like wood, at first. However, thanx to the flexiness of the saddle......that Phenom will soon feel like beautifully sculpted wood. Now, I prefer FLEX over PADDING any day(your mileage may differ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Brooks! Pretty much a cradle for your ass.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    I forgot this post even existed.lol Anyway I've been riding on the phenom gel and love it. Doesn't feel awkward at all great cushion but also not too much cushion. Just right. My arse loves it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i dont know how long you guys go on rides for, ive been struggling with a phenom sl for a year and after 60 kms or so my arse is killing me, my friend who is a little heavier than me couldnt be happier with his, it seems to be a love it or hate it thing with the phenom, it looks amazing on my black 09 SJ but i think its time i swapped it out for a rival sl or something

Dual Squishy...
    I had the SL for a little while... First hour and a half to two hours were ok, and rides that were longer killed my arse. LBS was cool and let me trade it in (needed a new road seat anyway). Stuck with my Enduro's OEM Rival that has hollow Chro-Mo rails. I can ride that saddle all day and not feel a thing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im gonna try the same thing, the seat is still in good condition so im going to ask my bike shop if i can swap it for a bog standard rival, the rival sl gets lousy reviews!!!