Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pf 30 issues

mtbr member

Pf 30 issues

Anyone else had problems with their pf30 bottom brackets? I have about 30 miles on my Stumpy fsr evo. Already noise and play in the bottom bracket when climbing. Everything else seems tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Stock ones do seem pretty poor, I have heard better things about the Wheels' ones and Chris king now offer a PF30 BB with a 5 year warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was told not every shop takes the bb apart and grease before they sell it. Its not a must but after paying a shop a good deal pf money to do it adter the fact, my bb is silence again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Pf 30 issues

The only problem I've had is that mine seized up after only 1200km of riding and I've had to buy a new one.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Take ti back to the LBS and get them to check it. You can/should fit PF30 spacers to optimise the end-float of the setup.

mtbr member
    i had to replace mine after 6 weeks, went for a ceramic replacement - now 14 months later it is still fine. the original pf30 is so lame.

mtbr member
    Use enduro pf30 cups and bearings.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey guys looking to service my stumpy fsr pf30 bb this winter. What are all the tools I need? I now kinda miss my old threaded bb, those are soo easy to service.

mtbr member
    It just needs to be adjusted. Its easy to work on - just remove the crank arm with the self-extracting bolt and put it out. Grease the crap out of everything. There is a "pre-load" adjuster on one side, it probably just needs to be tightened down a 1/2 a turn or so to tighten it all up. My noises have stemmed from the crank arm/spindle interface so I use a liberal amount of grease on that. I am 1.5 years on mine riding the crap out of it problem free...nothing on a bike is maintenance free.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The PF30 is a crap design, and I own a 2013 Stumpy EVO with PF30. Specialized now recommends using a 3M 2 part adhesive to effectively "glue" the bb cups into the frame. I currently have about 500 miles on mine, with this adhesive, and a raceface PF30 cup to 24mm spindle bottom bracket, and it has been problem free, for now. With proper initial assembly and routine checks every now and then it should be okay for a while, however, I still think it's a poor design and a threaded BB is far superior on many levels.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsterR View Post
    The PF30 is a crap design, and I own a 2013 Stumpy EVO with PF30. Specialized now recommends using a 3M 2 part adhesive to effectively "glue" the bb cups into the frame. I currently have about 500 miles on mine, with this adhesive, and a raceface PF30 cup to 24mm spindle bottom bracket, and it has been problem free, for now. With proper initial assembly and routine checks every now and then it should be okay for a while, however, I still think it's a poor design and a threaded BB is far superior on many levels.
    Nah, there's nothing wrong with the design, I believe that the use of cups is a great move and certainly helps tolerance vs BB30. The issue I believe is more with the manufacturers getting their heads around the design and learning to optimize frames and cranks. Certainly that was the issue with my 2011 - the chain stays were too close to the cranks, and I went through a bearing set due to incorrect spacers being fitted. No issues since then, 4,000kms ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsterR View Post
    Where did you hear that Specy is recommending adhesive?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It is in the manual now. They recommend putting the adhesive on the cups before pressing them in.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info. Anyone care to scan in that part for me to see or point me towards it online?

mtbr member
    I've resolved myself to cleaning and lubing whenever mud or water is involved in my rides. Gonna try the Enduro bearings when these finally go, or Maybe the Chris Kings will be available by then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The design isn't bad. It just has to be implemented properly.

The stock bearings are ****. Mine seized up in less than a month albeit I was racing in some muddy conditions. Replaced with Enduro bearings. OK for now. Will be replacing with a CK PF30 bb soon.

mtbr member

Pf 30 issues

If you're using a Shimano 24mm axle chainset in a PF30 bottom bracket shell the Praxis conversion bottom bracket looks like a good option. It uses a threaded expander so shouldn't work loose.

http://praxiscycles.com/pages/conversion

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc View Post
    The design isn't bad. It just has to be implemented properly.
    No, press fit BBs are pretty bad. Cool conversion BB above.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have been using specialized's stock pf30 cups on my Demo and Stumpjumper for 3 years now with zero issues.I have seen one stumpjumper with a creaky bb but no failures.Are you guys pressing the cups in dry?

mtbr member
    Honestly, there was nothing wrong with the old Shimano cartridge BBs...trying to fix something that wasn't broken. My PF30 hasn't been terrible, just have to do maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Honestly, there was nothing wrong with the old Shimano cartridge BBs...trying to fix something that wasn't broken.
    BB wasn't a problem but the crank axle was heavy/flexy.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    PF30 is mainly used by manufacturers to cut-out precision machining costs(alloy) and added carbon layup processes. Why does a top-tier maker like Specialized scrimp on this AND still charge us a huge premium?

I had zero problems, with Cannondale's original BB30.....but I simply could not hang with their Lefty forks.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I've been through three sets of bearings now. I tried to order a CK bb30 but they are out of stock. It really sucks when you get 100 miles out of a set and they start to creek and crack.

Pulled my wifes cranks off yesterday to check hers and they have crapped themselves too. I don't have a problem with bb30 persay but better bearings would be nice.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    BB wasn't a problem but the crank axle was heavy/flexy.
    You mean square taper? People started breaking the spindles left and right as riding progressed into "jumps and drops".

But as stated above, press-fit solves the problem that it's hard to make small carbon fiber structures, so it's easier to use the press-fit standard (and apply it across the board).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    I've been through three sets of bearings now. I tried to order a CK bb30 but they are out of stock. It really sucks when you get 100 miles out of a set and they start to creek and crack.
    I've been through 2 sets of bearings in 5,000kms. I thought a bunch of creaking and groaning was the BB bearings and cursed them for half the summer when I was away from home and without tools. Got home striped the cranks, no issues. Swapped the rear wheel and voila creaking and groaning gone. My cassette was loose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast