bike-zilla

Pedal suggestions

Hey all. Ive got an 07 rockhopper comp that im slowly beginning to upgrade (really as i break things- so slowly is good imo). One thing I am definately in the market for is some new platform pedals to replace the half plastic POS that came with the bike. I am looking for something with sealed bearings, preferably low profile, and nothing over 80 bucks (im a broke college student so im not trying to kill all my beer money on pedals)
    The specialized lo pro mag II looks really good, but its seemingly impossible to find them without having to order it from the lbs
    The transition stepdown also looks good but i havent seen one in person and cannot tell if it is thin like the lo pro- anyone have these that can chime in?
    what other pedals should i look at?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    You don't want clipless? Unless you're doing tricks or just using it for short in town trips, I don't see why anyone would not want clipless pedals.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial
    You don't want clipless? Unless you're doing tricks or just using it for short in town trips, I don't see why anyone would not want clipless pedals.
    For platforms, check out .243 racing pedals....They are cheap but good...Or clipless, shimano 520, good beginner clipless

bike-zilla
    no clipless- my bike is also used as transportation a lot so i want to be able to wear any kind of shoe with it
    i will look into the .243's, thanks
    any opinions on the kona wah wah's

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    crankbrothers 50/50, they make an awesome product and stand behind it, this time of year a lot of online retailers are marking them down, the pro mag II's are sweet too one of my friends has them they're super tacky.

bike-zilla
    yea i just saw that cambria has the 50/50xx for just under $60- i might have to jump on that but im not sold on the removable plate design yet

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Take a look at one of the Shimano clipless pedals that includes a cage like the 647. You can ride them to class, but can also use them clipless. Versatile.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...647+Pedal.aspx

Azonic makes a good pedal for the money - weight isn't too bad either.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...als+Black.aspx

Here's a deal on a 50/50, but they're a bit heavy - should be durable though. If you are just trail riding you don't need anything that stout.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Pedals+06.aspx

I AM I AM
    DMR V12 Mag, nice , grippy & light and they don't seem to be as big and fat as some pedals out there.
    If weight is of a concern then the Wellgo MG-1 are even lighter than the V12's mags and could be well worth a look.

Texan
    Second on the Wellgo MG-1s.

bike-zilla
    Im not much of a weight weenie so thats not really much of a deciding factor
    Im really not looking to go clipless- i cant really find a shoe that i like because i am using a columbia hiking/ trail running type shoe because i often find myself needing an aggresive tread just to walk the bike up some of the trails i ride. I also find myself having to throw a foot down when the going get rough - I live in the mountains so we have some pretty technical stuff within a five minute ride of my place
    im looking at the azonic a frames because i found a really good deal on them and ive heard good things about them
    also the tioga mxpro
    does anyone know how thick these pedals are? I like the idea of something thin that
    wouldnt hang up on things and allow me to pedal more efficiently like the lo pro 2's or kona wah wah's

Texan
    When it comes to the mid/higher end of flats, theres not that much of a difference for a newer rider. I have some Snafus, CB 50/50s and Wellgo MG-1s. I like the MG-1s the best because like the Snafus, the body is a casting and has a slight concave feel to them. The 50/50s are extrusion and very flat, and heavy. And the MG-1s weighs 378 grams and I can dig it!

But then again, I dont ride exactly on the balls of my feet, and I like a soft sole skateboarding type shoe like Vans. I'm thinking of trying clipless though. Maybe Eggbeaters....

bike-zilla
    Yea I figure that just about any decent pedal will be a huge improvement over the junk thats on there now- i just want something that will last me a while and take some a good beating
    I think i may end up with the a frames b/c i found a pretty solid deal online
    thanks for the replies