mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pedal for my epic

Ok so sorry in advanced for posting this but i didn' really see a forum for pedals. But i am spec'ing out my S-work's epic and I was wondering what your guys thoughts were about he Eggbeater pedals? I was thinking to get the Egg beater 4ti or stick with the usual PD-M970. I have been ridin shimano's but i was thinkin about trying crank brothers. let me know you thoughts

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm in the same situation. I decided to go with the beaters because I get them at a sponsored price, and figured it is better for racing anyway. I have never really felt confident in the shimanos, and feel when they're tight, they're too tight. When they're loose, they're too loose, and I have never really found that "sweet" spot. Hopefully that will change with the CB. I have yet to use them yet, because I'm still waitin on the shipment. But with enough people out there who use CB, I'm sure you'll get some good responses. Everyone starts off with SPD (most of the time), but I sure as hell see a lot of CB...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think the new Shimano XTR pedals are excellent. I too use them on my epic, and I prefer them over the eggbeaters because I like a 'tighter' clip in then normal. Really, it's personal preference. I wouldn't go as far to say one is better than the other; rather, which one suits the rider better.

mtbr member
    I originally had Candy's on my Epic, but then went for the Mallets, as they suited a dual use role, in that I could ride the bike with normal shoes on. Remember that with the CB cleats there are two options depending on which cleat goes on which foot, and this alters the angle of release. I found that they don't hold mud, and since there is 4 connection points, it is easy to get in, whereas the SPD's I had it was a case of flipping the pedal to get in. Again , it is probably personal preference, but I think that I will be sticking with CB's for all my machines...
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

The Other Dude
    I went with the candys, i like the little platform they offer, it takes a bit of the force you put into the pedal off of one small part on your shoe and disperses the force a bit.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have ran standard SPD, Candy, and Eggbeater pedals on my mountain and cross bikes. After using the Eggs, I will never use another pedal in an offroad situation. They are super easy to get into and out of, and don't clog with mud. They are also a heck of a lot lighter than the Shimano offerings. The Candies were alright... but I often found that the inner cage would rotate enough inside the platform that it would be difficult to get clipped back in quickly. This was a much bigger problem during a cross race than on the MTB though. Honestly, they are all good pedals. But I really found one I like in the Eggbeaters. Plus, you can get the SLs for like $70. That's good for someone like me who has a lot of bikes, and breaks things often