Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pay MSRP?

SALLGUD

Pay MSRP?

I will be purchasing a Stumpy FSR Comp or Expert within the next four weeks. I have a Turner for sale now (eBay) and will sell my Yeti 575 next. The Stumpy will be my first Specialized and I sincerely hope to be one happy camper.

Anyway, the question is on MSRP. We can all look at the website and see that MSRP is, for example, $2800. I called numerous dealers within a hundred mile radius and every one will have to order the size I need (XL), so I don't get to walk into any store and check it out first. They all tell me 3 days on delivery. What are you guys paying on CURRENT MODEL YEAR Specialized mtbs? One shop offered $100 off. I have no need for any "Lifetime tuneup" offers or the like since I do my own...

FWIW, There are no '05 XL SJ FSRs anywhere...

Emu's Taste Like Chicken
    Jan 2004
    I am about to buy a SJ FSR Pro. MSRP on it is $3800 and I found two shops that have it for $3199.99. So answer to your question, is I would not expect to pay MSRP on the bike. Where are you at?

SALLGUD
    Located in SC, willing to drive several hundred miles.

We just drove to Waco, TX and back within a week, and called or stopped by every shop between SC and TX (traveling on I-20). So, to let you know, driving to get what I want, and the fun of riding a new trail in that area, is not a problem! Any help would be appreciated!

Michael

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by azdrawdy
    Located in SC, willing to drive several hundred miles.

We just drove to Waco, TX and back within a week, and called or stopped by every shop between SC and TX (traveling on I-20). So, to let you know, driving to get what I want, and the fun of riding a new trail in that area, is not a problem! Any help would be appreciated!

Michael
    For my 05 epic comp, BTW I am selling the frame, MSRP was 2600. LBS was nice to me and took it down to 2299.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatHurt
    I am about to buy a SJ FSR Pro. MSRP on it is $3800 and I found two shops that have it for $3199.99. So answer to your question, is I would not expect to pay MSRP on the bike. Where are you at?
    Damn, thats a pretty good price, where are you located? I'm hoping to buy in 2 weeks.

As far as the original question, I would not pay MSRP either. Look for more bikeshops, then ask if they will price match the nearest, cheapest price.

Emu's Taste Like Chicken
    Jan 2004
    I've had decent luck finding previous year models at Hudson Trail Outfitters in the Washington DC area. (http://www.hudsontrail.com/storelocations.php). The Fairfax and Rockville store seem to have the most selection, but any store SHOULD be able to search their inventory. Don't know what they have, but might be worth the call?

Humpmaster general
    I would expect it to be at least 10% off MSRP. If they quote you Msrp, make them a counter offer.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

cash price

I always ask the shop what's best price you can make it, then once they give me a figure ask what about if i pay cash - they should knock a bit more off (unless THEY stated the first price was for cash) since paying cash instead of card will save them having to pay some money to the bank (plus as my mum told me, shops always prefer to have some real cash in their hand). won't be much but will be worthwhile (i got an extra $80 off my new bike this way - better in your pocket than theirs!)

mtbr member
    This time of year, you should be able to get a decent amount off the 05s. 06? Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't hold my breath unless it was at a shop you have an established relationship with.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Got last week my 06 Stumpy FSR with 10% off MSRP but the 05 had even better deal.Just keep looking.

STI member
    I was looking at the '06 FSR (msrp $2000) I was able to talk the dealer down to $1500. I eventuly went with the frame, headset, seatpost, rear wheel and brake for $1100.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Not within driving distance of SC, but these are some of the best prices I've heard about for the 2006 bikes.

It might be worth giving that shop a call and seeing if you can buy it over the phone and have them ship it to you on the down-low. Apparently a lot of folks in europe do this since the exchange rate is currently well in their favor. I can't imagine any shop really having a problem with shipping it to you. This is my plan if I can't find a decent deal locally (my lbs insisted on MSRP for my last Spesh since it needed to be ordered, pricks).
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Butter Topping
    Not within driving distance of SC, but these are some of the best prices I've heard about for the 2006 bikes.

It might be worth giving that shop a call and seeing if you can buy it over the phone and have them ship it to you on the down-low. Apparently a lot of folks in europe do this since the exchange rate is currently well in their favor. I can't imagine any shop really having a problem with shipping it to you. This is my plan if I can't find a decent deal locally (my lbs insisted on MSRP for my last Spesh since it needed to be ordered, pricks).
    Call Outspokin bikes in Woodstock, GA ( a little north of Atlanta) 678-483-0200 ask for Kevin and tell Him Derek sent you. I just built 22 Specialized "06" bikes including a XL Stumpy last week at the shop. Offer him cash to get at least the 3.5% credit card charges out of the way.

look at http://www.outspokinbikes.com
    MTBXC

HammerHead
    I got my 05 Stumpjumper disc XL special ordered (yellow color) at LBS for $1300 when MSRP was $1500 a year ago. Actually at my LBS all new Specialized and Treks were $200-300 less then MSRP,
    05 models that are in stock are heavily discounted right now (but of course not many stores have XL sizes)
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

SALLGUD

Thanks all...

...for the input. Like many of you, I am not trying to pull a fast one on anyone, but if I can get a few dollars off the MSRP, then that is a positive thing.

MTBXC: I contacted Kevin yesterday. I mentioned that I was an active SORBA member, and he stated that he was definitely willing to work with me on the price. Said he had an XL SJ FSR Expert with my name on it! The wife and I have been in the Woodstock area before for bike rides, once so my wife could attend a female-only bike clinic at Blankets Creek (I think it was put on by the Sobe/Cannondale mtb ladies), so it will definitely be worth the trip.

Thanks again,
    Michael

Emu's Taste Like Chicken
    Jan 2004
    Just ordered my 06 SJ FSR Pro from for $3300. I saw the calculator while he was figuring out if he could price match with another shop and it looks like the 06 SJ FSR Pro costs the shop $2300, so I don't think I was pulling a fast one on anyone. They didn't have to sell it to me, at which point I could have gone else where. 7 Days.....
    Last edited by ThatHurt; 10-25-2005 at 06:04 PM.

HammerHead
    I was at my local shop and they pointed me to their website where they showed that 2005 SJ FSR PRO 120 for $2800
    check the link
    http://www.livermorecyclery.com/Prod...?ProductID=905
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was just at the LBS looking at Epic Disc Comp's. The salesman showed me that specialized has two levels of MSRP - the high level they show on their website and a lower level they list on a dealer's price sheet, which is the minimum MSRP. Where in that range they use probably depends on the shop and their overhead among other things. The shop I was at was selling the 2006 Comp (listed for $2800) for a price of $2600. There are also some huge deals on 2005 models, at least at some shops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just purchased my 05' FSR 120 Expert for $1875! But, that is from a local shop that is ski-only in the winter, and they had to move it. I am good friends with the manager, so he cut me a deal, although he probably would have sold it for $2k to anybody who walked in off the street.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I will be purchasing a Stumpy FSR Comp or Expert within the next four weeks. I have a Turner for sale now (eBay) and will sell my Yeti 575 next. The Stumpy will be my first Specialized and I sincerely hope to be one happy camper.

Anyway, the question is on MSRP. We can all look at the website and see that MSRP is, for example, $2800. I called numerous dealers within a hundred mile radius and every one will have to order the size I need (XL), so I don't get to walk into any store and check it out first. They all tell me 3 days on delivery. What are you guys paying on CURRENT MODEL YEAR Specialized mtbs? One shop offered $100 off. I have no need for any "Lifetime tuneup" offers or the like since I do my own...

FWIW, There are no '05 XL SJ FSRs anywhere...
    Hi there,
    Saw you at the shop the other day but didn't realize who you were. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, you were busy test riding the SJ in the parking lot.

What do you think of the shop? We are trying to build a diffrent type of store where customer service actually exist. Hope you had a great experience and will stop back by when in the area. That XL SJ FSR's got your name on it!
    Thanks again for stopping by.
    Derek

Get out of town!
    ...for the input. Like many of you, I am not trying to pull a fast one on anyone, but if I can get a few dollars off the MSRP, then that is a positive thing.

MTBXC: I contacted Kevin yesterday. I mentioned that I was an active SORBA member, and he stated that he was definitely willing to work with me on the price. Said he had an XL SJ FSR Expert with my name on it! The wife and I have been in the Woodstock area before for bike rides, once so my wife could attend a female-only bike clinic at Blankets Creek (I think it was put on by the Sobe/Cannondale mtb ladies), so it will definitely be worth the trip.

Thanks again,
    Michael
    What kind of Turner do you have for sale? I live close to Charlotte, NC. **never mind - just saw you ride an XL and I ride a medium

SALLGUD

Good job! THAT'S what an LBS should be like!

The shop was impressive Derek. It is one of those one-out-of-ten places where you feel welcome as soon as you walk in. There was no one there trying to "size me up", eyef**k me, or talk down to me. Like I told Kevin, I have long used Specialized gloves, saddles and shoes, and am a firm believer in the Body Geometry designs. He has tons of that stuff there. I am impressed enough by his shop that I am willing to drive nearly 3 hours to buy from him. That shop is a class act!

He went out of his was to let me play with the bike outside. He was very patient and had a good conversation with my wife while I was sprinting up and down the alley in the back. After the test ride, the wife and I took our Yetis and hammered Blankets Creek for a couple of hours. We then found our way back to the shop at 5:40pm where I double checked some stuff on the Stumpy. Big decision on going from a Yeti 575 to the SJ FSR Expert. I do like my Yeti also.

That said, I have a guy in Alabama who was bidding on my Turner (he didn't get it) who wants my Yeti. We are ironing out the details right now. It looks like I may sell it directly to him and not bother with eBay. Tell Kevin I will be on the phone within a week.

Thanks!
    Michael

mtbr member

Good LBS

I dont know where you guys are but I like to hear that other riders are finding a good Local Bike Shop (LBS). I enjoy my LBS and have made some really good friends. I think it is worth any extra $$$ for good service and straight talk rather then wondering if you git a good deal or not. I think I will send my LBS friends a pizza today for lunch, just because I havent had to touch my bike in months, they really take care of their customers.
    Ride hard and fast.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Agree with high-low MSRP

I bought my 06 Stumpy FSR Comp. for $1999. My LBS was offering big discounts on 05's but there were no XL's left by September. I'm not one to pass on a great deal, and I found an XL in Tahoe area, but the Septune shock on the 05 was a turn-off to me. My LBS (Mike's Bikes in San Rafael, CA) was offering $200 off MSRP on all 06 Specialized bikes and they had been on the floor for only a few weeks. % wise that $200 off was better on a $2k bike than on a $3k bike. Saleman stated that they go through so many Specialized bikes that the sales volume more than makes up for the discounts they give. For the biggest discount, try finding a shop that sells mostly Specialized. Personaly, I just couldn't justify paying extra $$$ for the TALAS and Juicy 7s on the expert/pro line of stumpys. The Comp has a few weak parts, but they can be changed when they break/wear-out in the future. The FSR frame and lifetime warranty are the same for all Stumpys, isn't that why we bought a BigS anyway?? Happy shopping!!

mtbr member
    Has the warranty changed to where the seatstays, chainstays, and suspension links are lifetime, or are they still 1yr?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast