mtbr member
    May 2007

Parts compatibility

Hi all.

Obviously new so bear with me if this has been asked, I need to go to bed because I have differential equasions and physics (magnetism) tests tomorrow.

I am lookin to get into this sport pretty seriously, looking for a 99-01 ranged FSR or stumpjumper FSR. Meaning probably not more than 700 budget and I cant bee too picky on the sizing either because the bikes are probably a little different now and I'm new to this. I lost a ebay auction earlier lol.

Basically my question is if I get a bike but find that I need a larger or smaller frame, how compatible are the parts from bikes in that year range (Stumpjumper and FSR's of course). Like forks, cranks, hubs and so on.Lets say I buy a large (19-20) FSR but the frame is a little large. Would I be able to buy a Med (17-18) sized frame for a FSR and have direct part swap down the road? I would expect basically everything to be the same only a variation in frame size. FSR to Stump compatibility? Probably no the triangle but anyhow...

A fast response would be very appreciated, I may be getting a bike this weekend.

Thanks, Kyle.

mtbr member
    If you are simply swapping different sized frames of the same model and year you should have little problem. Things to watch out for include fork steerer length - if you go from a small to a larger size you could find the steerer tube has been cut too short. You may also have to invest in a new bottom bracket and headset - simply because at that age they may be too worn.

If you are swapping for a different model frame you will find that most things will swap over, however there may be differences in things such as head tube length, bottom bracket size, front deraillieur type (top or bottom pull and mounting diameter), seat post diameter (althouhg most specialized use 30.9mm), etc. Things such as wheels, brakes (provided your frame has the correct mounts for disk or v-brakes), shifters, rear derailleur, cranks, bars, saddle, stem, etc should be fine. Forks will be fine as long as the steerer hasn't been cut too short for your new frame. FSR and Stumpy can both use similar travel forks. Anything in the 100 - 120mm range will be fine.

mtbr member
    Not a difficult question and you should be pretty safe building up a older frame with newer parts. Don't bother yourself with this right now though. You really need to concentrate on your Differential "Equations" Test

mtbr member
    I doubt you have all the tools to take out the headset, bb, crank, ect... so before doing this, id take in consideration that IF all goes wrong, and you dont wanna do the swap yourself and pay a shop to do it, its gona cost give or take 100 bucks, probably plus. Its quite an expensive mistake to make. So my recomendation? measure twice, cut once. Look around alot, do more research, then when you find EXACTLY what you want/need, bite the bullit and know your getting what you want/need.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for th info Steve. I did drop out on it, it was kinda of a extreme that I didnt want to take (but wanted to ya know...???? impulsive likely) but it seemed to be a pretty damn good deal, still think it is, the seller reccomended not to go for it if I'm under 6' and I am so I didn't.

And nah I wouldn't pay a shop to do it, I'm not one of those. 95% of my tools are at my parents house 2 hours away, but if I neeeded a special tool I'd buy it. How else do ya learn things anyway? Thats 1/2 the point to workin on your own ****! The other half is saving money lol.

But yeah thanks for the info everyone, good for down the road.