mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Part out a motobecane to build a Stumpy?

I am eying a motobecane as a strictly parts purchase to build a stumpjumper. I saw an 07 SJ frame go on ebay for $375, plus $50 shipping. I have a fox float 130 I would put on the stumpjumper and then pull the other parts over from the motebecane. The thing I am worried about is if the bottom bracket and the deraileurs from the motobecane would fit the stumpjumper.

I think I can do the whole thing for pretty cheap if I can sell the RS Recon for about $300 and the Motobecane frame for $100.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_elite08.htm

mtbr member
    Ok, here is my take on it.
    Drivetrain is pretty good, although they don't specify which cassette comes with it.
    External bearing BB/Crankset will work, you might need a spacer, but that's nothing to worry about.
    Rims are crap, I had SpeedDiscs and couldn't keep them true even light mountain biking. Good tires though.
    Brakes should be fine, I just prefer Juicy 7.
    Not sure about Ritchey stuff, never used it.

If it was me, I'd get the frame and shop around on ebay and other places to see if I can pick up some better components. You can pick up the whole SRAM X-9 setup for $600 on pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have been doing some research on these bikes for a while now and I would love to get my hands on one of them, but I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me first.

1. Is the only differnece between the comp and the expert weight and higher quality parts?

2. Is it worth investing in the expert or even the pro, or is the comp good enough?

3. Where can I find one at a good price?

4. Is there any other bike I should consider looking at before I take the plunge and buy an enduro?

P.S. Sorry if this is not the right place to be asking this type of question, but I am new here and just figuring out how things work

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daniyarm
    Ok, here is my take on it.
    Drivetrain is pretty good, although they don't specify which cassette comes with it.
    External bearing BB/Crankset will work, you might need a spacer, but that's nothing to worry about.
    Rims are crap, I had SpeedDiscs and couldn't keep them true even light mountain biking. Good tires though.
    Brakes should be fine, I just prefer Juicy 7.
    Not sure about Ritchey stuff, never used it.

If it was me, I'd get the frame and shop around on ebay and other places to see if I can pick up some better components. You can pick up the whole SRAM X-9 setup for $600 on pricepoint.
    Thanks for the good reply. I'd like to get better components at some point, but right now bike funds are a little low on the priority list. At least I know the BB will fit, that was the big concern.

mtbr member
    Its looks good to me. Avid brakes work very well. I have had the Juicy 5's, carbons, and ultimates. The drivetrain is solid. The front derailiur might not fit but a good shop might swap it out (if you just bring the derailiur in...not the motobecane). Cassette will work, it might be a little heavy. Tires are good. Rims are good but i know nothing about the hubs.
    ...Shop around and if you cant find a better build for $1000 go for it.

gruber24
    1.yes
    2.the comp will get you started and go for years no problem. The higher end stuff will just be smoother. If you have the money go for it otherwise the comp is a very solid bike.
    3.At your LOCAL bike shop.
    4.What kind of riding are you doing. The Giant trance X and Reign are sweet bikes too.

mtbr member
    I would get this. http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1797

with juicy 7's 175mm cranks 11-34 cassette low clamp fd (i think)

find some wheels and you have a way better build for the same price

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for that link! I was going to junk the wheels on the Motobecane anyway because the hubs were pretty chintzy. Now I don't have to mess with that whole process.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you were going to spend $1000 on the motobecane and still have to buy wheels, you could also look at this link--several good options.
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/20113/

mtbr member
    Rock Climber,
    Didn't you just get a set of Mavic wheels you could use for it?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"