mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Paint peeling/blistering off 2010 Enduro Frame?

Bought the bike new in 2010. Love the ride, absolutely the best bike I've owned yet. However, the paint seems to the peeling/blistering off the frame. It's starting to look like it has mange.

This is not to be confused with normal wear and tear/scuff, or scratch type paint issues from normal riding, wrecks, or cable rub. The paint issues are happening in weird spots where the bike has not been impacted. Anyone else having similar issues?

Sorry for the pic quality, old camera phone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looks to me like it is paint contamination - possibly from brake fluid?
    Did you touch the bike with fluid on your hands and forget to clean it off afterwards?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    PLUMMIT,
    Looks like corrosion of the Aluminum under the paint, possible caused by Salt contamination.Do you ride your bike in the winter on salt covered roads and not rinse / clean afterwards?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe it's unrelated to brake fluid, as the problem started long before I had any work done to the brakes.

Bike spends almost no time on the road. If it was salt contamination, I would expect to see more widespread blistering/peeling, especially on parts of the frame that would tend get more spray from tires. It's basically only on the right side of the frame, in the area where the top tube, seat stay, and shock come together?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Often times you will experience corrosion if the paint top coat gets scratched enough to allow a contaminent to attack the base layers of paint. Is it possible that this area has seen more abuse?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SworksDan View Post
    Is it possible that this area has seen more abuse?
    Not really. You can see that it's happening above the shock rear shock in a very protected area and again in the front triangle on a similarly protected area (above the front mount for the rear shock.) These areas have not been hit, dented or scratched.

THAT guy
    Looks like it didn't get properly cleaned before the base coat was put on. Infact, don't see any primer under the paint in your pics. Looks like some one in Taiwan wasnt doing their job when that was painted. I know my 2010 enduro has 4 coats on it, primer, 2 base coats (1 black 1 red) and clear coat. I know this from when I faced my iscg tabs and saw each layer.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TRY2KPUP View Post
    Looks like it didn't get properly cleaned before the base coat was put on. Infact, don't see any primer under the paint in your pics. Looks like some one in Taiwan wasnt doing their job when that was painted. I know my 2010 enduro has 4 coats on it, primer, 2 base coats (1 black 1 red) and clear coat. I know this from when I faced my iscg tabs and saw each layer.
    Might make sense. I'm no paint expert, but the paint is blistering and flaking off to raw aluminum in one layer. Checked the Spesh website and they don't make touch up paint, and sounds like ti wouldn't solve my problem. Anyone know any good powder coaters? I'm MA, but I guess the frame could be shipped wherever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Have you tried calling Specialized and dealing with their warranty department? If you have nothing to do with the paint pealing, and your bike just happened to be the lemon that came out of the factory, you should be able to get the frame replaced.
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

THAT guy
    I would try to get specialized to warranty it, try to get a shops leverage to help. If you repaint it your warranty is void.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions. E-mailed some better photos to Specialized, and they thought it was wierd. Asked me to bring in to my lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update: Thank You Specialized!!! New Enduro frame on the way. Sent them some better pics, and they asked that I bring it in to my LBS. They sent some more pics, talked to the rep, and a new frame is on the way. Thanks also to Scott and his crew at Seaside Cycles in Manchester, MA. Great people.

I'm thinking it might be pretty hard to have better customer service than that.

Merendon Junkie
    I have paint blisters on the top tube on my 2011 camber. Most likely caused by salts from my sweat that falls on this area couple with some damage due to scratches from years of bike rack use and misuse.