Marin rider

Paint Finish Issues - Silver 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

I started a thread elsewhere on the MTBR site and am now cross referencing that thread's content within this Specialized forum.

My issue is that my 3rd Specialized bike purchased; a Silver 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, seems to suffering from surface corrosion.

My bikes front triangle has a "spidery" looking corrosion taking place that eventually lead to dime to quarter sized sections of the piant/clearcoat flaking off. This started to occur after the bike was only two years old.

Since I've never seen this before on other bikes and have take better care of this bike than my previous bikes, I'm hoping to learn if other folks in our community have experienced this issue with this particular bike model and year. I'd also like to learn what they did to improve their bikes appearance/stop the corrosion and/or methods they took in approaching Specialized and their outcomes regarding this matter.

Cross-reference to original thread: Paint Finish Issues - 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

(The image below shows only one representative area of corrosion on my bikes front triangle. There are numerous other spots of corrosion found on the the front triangle.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint Finish Issues - Silver 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR-img-20130322-00110m.jpg  

Class Clown
    I don't know if you can call paint flaking off corrosion. I think Specialized just uses thin paint and it's not going to take much for it to start to come off. If it's that bothersome a little fine sanding and paint should do, I've done it on my frame in the many areas paint has come off.

Marin rider
    Please re-read the original post above as well as the thread referenced there within. It sounds like you are missing some of the finer points made regarding the sequence of observed damage. Our community has also made some fine suggestions previously on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I don't know if you can call paint flaking off corrosion.
    No doubt you've read in the referenced thread that painting ones frame will void the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    If it's that bothersome a little fine sanding and paint should do, I've done it on my frame in the many areas paint has come off.