mtbr member

owners of '10 black sx trails????

if you got this bike either complete or as a frame set just wondering how the paint is holding up. i currently have a "gold" '09 and the paint is crap. thinking about a used '10 in black but hoping they came up with a better method/type of paint for that year. thanks in advance

mtbr member

It copper isn't it?

It's copper isn't it? Assuming that I am right, It's not paint that you have on your SX trail it's anodization. Gotta take care of your bike too you know. The black is said to be a harder finish chemically speaking. It sounds to me as if you are just looking for an excuse to buy another bike or frame. If you buy it used and you break it, you will be screwed like fasteners in drywall were no studs are to be found, full stop. The copper SX Trail 2 is a sick frame. Go ride the life out of it.

mtbr member
    yes it is copper and whatever way it was applied it is not very durable especially for a mt. bike. and i did take care of it, i put 3M clear tape over large parts of it before i built it up, so thanks dad but i do take care of my bikes. and i ride the piss out of them.
    as for looking for excuses, i dont need an excuse to buy another frame i would just think spec. would have put something more durable on this frame and this is just my experience, maybe the painter was having a bad day when he did mine.
    and finally, nice analogy, studs and screws huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Americanahstan
    It's copper isn't it? Assuming that I am right, It's not paint that you have on your SX trail it's anodization. Gotta take care of your bike too you know. The black is said to be a harder finish chemically speaking. It sounds to me as if you are just looking for an excuse to buy another bike or frame. If you buy it used and you break it, you will be screwed like fasteners in drywall were no studs are to be found, full stop. The copper SX Trail 2 is a sick frame. Go ride the life out of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I Have a Black SX trail -10. And I have to say that the paint are really crappy. I can peal of the stripes with my nails. That's a real on a frame for that kind of money!
    But I still loves the bike thou.

mtbr member
    thanks for responding. it is a great bike but yeah, the paint can be crap. oh, well i got a 2010 and will just live with it. 3M protective tape does help if you have the patience to cover high wear areas. most car detail shops use it and you can some times buy it from them

mtbr member
    No problems with my paint. 2010 SX Trail II. I have some scratches on the chainstays, but that's to be expected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yah, got one season in on my '10 black and the anodized finish looks mint where it didn't take a hit from a rock. Probably the same hardness as yours though.