Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353

    OSBB / Truvativ crank question

    Bike in question: 2010 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon (HT, 29er).

    Been doing some reading and understand the OSBB and press-fit cups that came OEM work with the Shimano spindle size.

    I have a virtually brand new Truvativ Stylo 1:1 and love the Rotor SS q-ring. Theoretically, if I wanted to put this crank into play and "EVO" the Stumpy, is this the bottom bracket part I would need?

    BikePedia, Bottom bracket adapter, TruVativ 00.6415.033.040 "GXP Adapter Cups" - Full Item Description
    For fitting SRAM and Truvativ GXP cranksets to frames with either Specialized-OS, BB86-Road, or BB92-MTB press-fit, non-threaded bottom bracket shells (not for BB90/95 Trek Madone/Fuel, or BB30 systems) - Includes 37x24x8mm bearing set with wave washer and bearing shields for use on Giga X Pipe cranks with integrated 24mm GXP spindle (Road: 47.5mm chainline, MTB: 51mm chainline) - BlackBox (hybrid-ceramic bearing) or Team (steel, sealed bearing) in press-fit, internally sealed composite cups - Use of a shop-quality headset press recommended for installation
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,140
    what crank are you currently running?

  3. #3
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    The bike has the original XT crank - 175mm arms though.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    The bike has the original XT crank - 175mm arms though.
    In that case, you will already have the correct OSBB cups fitted.

  5. #5
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    In that case, you will already have the correct OSBB cups fitted.
    No, Shimano spindles are not the same size as Truvativ spindles, hence the requirement for new bearings.

    Bike has XT cranks and I plan to swap in Stylo 1:1s.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    No, Shimano spindles are not the same size as Truvativ spindles, hence the requirement for new bearings.

    Bike has XT cranks and I plan to swap in Stylo 1:1s.
    You're confusing me. They should both have 24mm spindles, unless I'm mistaken about the Stylo 1:1. Are you saying that the Stylo is a 30mm spindle?

  7. #7
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    You're confusing me. They should both have 24mm spindles, unless I'm mistaken about the Stylo 1:1. Are you saying that the Stylo is a 30mm spindle?
    No, I think the Shimano spindle is bigger.

    http://service.specialized.com/colla...om-Bracket.pdf

    According to the comparability chart, need different BB for SRAM cranks. The 2010 Stumpy expert carbon has an alloy OSBB shell according to the sheet.

    I am 95 percent certain the part I listed is correct, based on the part number match, just looking for the final 5 percent.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    old fart
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    No, I think the Shimano spindle is bigger.

    http://service.specialized.com/colla...om-Bracket.pdf

    According to the comparability chart, need different BB for SRAM cranks. The 2010 Stumpy expert carbon has an alloy OSBB shell according to the sheet.

    I am 95 percent certain the part I listed is correct, based on the part number match, just looking for the final 5 percent.
    Sorry - I was confused; I thought that you were talking about an alloy stumpy. The part that you need is this one.

    BTW, the spindle diameter is the same with GXP & Shimano. 24mm.

  9. #9
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwi View Post
    Sorry - I was confused; I thought that you were talking about an alloy stumpy. The part that you need is this one.

    BTW, the spindle diameter is the same with GXP & Shimano. 24mm.
    Muchas gracias! Appreciate the help

    I may be a bit confused on the spindle size as well, always thought the bearing surface on the the Shimano was a different size than the Truvativ which is why they run different BBs, let alone the bearing pre-load process.....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •