mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Ordered an Epic Comp

and I pick it up on wed. After having demo'd numerous other bikes it comes down to the Epic. I wasn't really sure about the "brain" as I thought it was sort of gimmicky but it seems to do the job. For me the Epic seemed to feel closest to a hardtail while still giving the comfort of full sus. I'm sure a few of you have been riding these for a while and I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Brain is amazing. Once you get it tuned in and understand the amount of rebound that you want, depending on where you are riding, you will be blown away. Congrats on the new machine,

mtbr member
    i wanted one for so long, wife bought me my '11 epic comp for father's day (new 2 years ago now). i was not dissappointed. glad i bought one before they switched totally to 29ers (love my 26" wheels, but we shall save that argument for another board/forum), but wish i had gone to the elite to get a 2x10 drivetrain (haven't had the budget to make the change, probably never will do it in all likely-hood).

didn't take too long to figure out and set the brain settings, which was my biggest worry. making adjustments is fairly easy with shock pump. it was my first full-suspension bike too, and found it a great transition.

enjoy the new ride.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sounds like the brain fade gives a pretty wide range of tuning options. Any long term reliability issues? The last full susser I had was a 96 Gt LTS. Between the pedal bob and disposable pivot bearings I wasn't really digging it too much. I'm not in love with the extra complexity but I can't really find a whole lot of negative comments on the Epic.

There's always next year.
    I picked up an Epic Carbon Comp back in April/May. I've loved the bike! My Brain has needed to been replaced once, but it was quick and easy (although the shop should have been more communicative with me) I've enjoyed the Brain's adjustments. This week I firmed it up for the 10 mile fireroad climb and then opened it wide open up to rip down the trail. I typically run mine brain somewhere in the middle (more towards stiffer) for "everyday" rides. Autosag may or may not be perfect for you-- I have to add a little more PSI for my satisfaction.

The only part issue I've struggled with is the stock seat post-- mine developed a nasty pop or ping at random times during rides, typically when hitting bumps/ruts. I've replaced mine however:

Depending on how you ride/location, you might want to consider a dropper post to add later. The bike as stock can handle stuff beyond "XC," but adding a dropper helps the bike a great deal in tough/high-speed terrain.

I'm of the opinion that the '13 Epics might be better for a general rider, so enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ordered an Epic Comp

I generally keep the the rear Brain about 2 to 3 clicks from "fastest rebound". It has 10 points of adjustment.

I have the front fork with brain and I keep the rebound about 7 clicks from fastest. It has 32 points of adjustment.

I keep the mid shock at about 2 to 3 clicks from fastest rebound as well.

Overall I keep it the bike on the stiffer side, but adjust it accordingly to the terrain I am riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is this one of the 2014's you ordered?I wen to a shop Friday to look at them and didn't
    see them :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No 2014's but I got a good deal on the 13. I didn't see the need to wait for the 14. I race here and there for fun and ride a wide variety of terrain, the strongest point of the Epic seems to it's versatility. I hope the black and green looks as good in person, I'll find out Wed. I feel like a giddy kid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ordered an Epic Comp

Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    No 2014's but I got a good deal on the 13. I didn't see the need to wait for the 14. I race here and there for fun and ride a wide variety of terrain, the strongest point of the Epic seems to it's versatility. I hope the black and green looks as good in person, I'll find out Wed. I feel like a giddy kid.
    Ordered an Epic Comp-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375716062.146622.jpg. This black and green?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Mostly black with a few green accents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ordered an Epic Comp

Mostly black with a few green accents.
    Nice!!! I love that color combo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have the 13 and love it,i'll be holding on to it for a while,no problems yet,well i swapped everything off it except frame and forks lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I can't find many negatives on the bike, seems like a pretty solid design. After riding the last two years on bike that's a little too big I'm really looking forward to it. Just proper fit alone should make a huge difference. Looks like they may have massaged the brain and changed a few components for 2014 but the difference wasn't a deal breaker for me. It's supposed to be in on Wed. and looks like rain the second half of the week, go figure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ordered an Epic Comp

That how it works when I get new toys. It rains. Lol. I'm in Florida though so it rains all the time.

I love the color!

I can't find many negatives on the bike, seems like a pretty solid design... Looks like they may have massaged the brain and changed a few components for 2014 but the difference wasn't a deal breaker for me.
    Depending on how riders want to use the Epic, some of the changes for '14 Epics could be a negative. As you mentioned, there was a Brain change-- I believe there is no "open" setting for it, so all the settings have some sort of platform (although the shock is supposed to be more responsive to the trail). The other change that made me glad I got a '13 was the seatpost diameter change to something smaller, which will make it harder to install a dropper post. I'm curious to know if the '14 frames even kept the dropper post routing... but I doubt it, since cable routing went internal.

Now, onto what's really important: I love the color. I didn't like it at the first look (I wanted something with red, as that's 'Specialized' to me) but it really grew on me. The only drawback to the greenish color is that its not easy to get other components to match up to it! So, I just stuck with black King hubs on the wheelset I just ordered. My ride as currently outfitted:

Ordered an Epic Comp-img_1924.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ordered an Epic Comp

Nice ride!!! Love the black!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like the "stealth" look of the black. The green is sort of day-glo lime isn't it?

mtbr member

Ordered an Epic Comp

@tommy, I am in St Pete and when I got my 13 Epic Comp last year, I am pretty sure it triggered a Tropical storm
    2013 Epic Comp 29er
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2011 Langster
    2011 Roubaix

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Pick it up this evening, I can hardly wait.

Bos
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I picked up my 2013 Epic Comp (Red) in January. I really enjoy how the 29er wheels just roll over roots that used to be momentum killers on my 12 year old Giant NRS2. I have the brain set 2 clicks from Open, rebound front and rear set mid way and used the recommended Auto Sag setting. I'm using about 10 LBs less air than recommended in the fork. I weigh 185, probably 200 with hydro pack. I initially had the brain set to midway as well but when hitting rocks or small logs, the seat felt like it was being bounced into my butt. And with the more open setting I have now, I can't "feel" any loss in power. I also don't feel the clunk before the brain is opened. With the way I have it set now, it feels comfortable yet firm. I don't even make changes for a road ride since I cant feel any bob in the rear. I do occasionally lock out the fork if I decide to stand while climbing a longer hill.

Apparently the rear hub failure experienced by some buyers was gone by the time I bought mine in January. I've had no problems with it. I did make one change, I replaced the 1030 cassette with a Shimano XT with the same gear ratio (11-32). I did it to save about 3 OZs in weight. Can I notice? Not really. The 1030 shifted just as well so no real gain there. I am thinking about getting a lighter wheel set for summer use. Not sure how important It would be since I don't race though.

Anyway, love this bike. I think I might keep this as long as my NRS2.

I like the "stealth" look of the black. The green is sort of day-glo lime isn't it?
    You'll see it when you pick it up tonight, but yes. It doesn't translate well until you see it in person though. Enjoy the new toy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Favorite color combo they have done in awhile. I have the same color, just a Stumpjumper carbon HT. I think they stopped making it in that combo, allI've seen in the stumpys now is black and white.

The Specialized neon greenish yellow rib cage matches perfectly. That's what I'm using.
    Livin' the dream.