mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Options for someone with tail bone problems

I replied in the 07 Stumpjumper Comp HT thread and realized I should probably ask about this. I broke my tail bone roller blading when I was in high school and I have had problems with it ever since. Knowing this I should have probably bought a FS bike but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal and it wasn't until two weeks ago.

I ride two or three times a week and go anywhere from 5 to 15 miles on a ride but two weeks ago I rode three days in a row on Barton Creek in Austin, which is pretty rocky, trying to work out parts I was having problems with. The day after the third day I could barely bend over to brush my teeth because of my tailbone. Now I'm already planning on buying a new pair of bike shorts because I've basically destroyed the ones I have (I do generally stand by the way. I only sit when I have to. I also have Pearl Izumi bike shorts that I wear under clothing.).

So my question is... are there options for someone like me when it comes to seats on a HT? I love my bike and I don't want to trade it in but something like this keeps me from riding for two weeks or so and I don't want to lose that time just because my tail bone hurts. Is there a really good seat I should look at or some other option?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I rode a Fisher Cake for one year. It came with a very cheap and heavy Bontrager saddle. For almost 8 months, I had no problems at all. Later in the year I started having pains in my tailbone. It would start 5 minutes into a ride and only get worse. The pain would last anywhere from 8 hours to several days after the ride. I talked to my LBS about it, and they recommended a different saddle. I shopped around and picked up both a WTB Speed V and a WTB Rocket V. The Speed was very light for a larger saddle and had more padding. Unfortunately it was wider and made it difficult to get behind the seat when standing. The Rocket V was perfect. I haven't had any problems since.