mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Optimum set-up on a 05 SJ FSR EXPERT 120

I just got a 2005 SJ FSR expert 120 and I would like to know what should I expect to feel with both the front and rear shock set-up. I like to hit the inclines out of the saddle and I noticed that the front shock tends to bob up and down. This can't be effective. Should I just lock it out or should I expect to get some bobbing? Also what about the rear Fox Septune shock? Should I get any bob when I'm out of the saddle? I noticed when I'm out of the saddle the rear tire tends to spin out. Would it be safe to say that the most effective way to ride this bike would be in the saddle? Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, climbing seated is usually preferable with these bikes, but there are times when standing can help, like extra-steep and rough sections (big roots and/or rocks), to keep momentum (or use body english to keep moving). In loose conditions, though, standing is more likely to lose you traction, spinning smoothly in the saddle is your best bet.

All non-locked-out suspensions will bob somewhat out of the saddle, but you might be able to reduce it a bit:

On the rear, you can adjust the septune a few clicks in either direction to see if you get less wheelspin, but I wonder if your rear rebound is a bit too fast? It's usually better to have the rear rebound a bit too slow than too fast anyway (can you say endo?).

Does it have the Talas RLC fork? If so, you might add some compression until it bobs less.