mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. opinions on hydr brakes, dart 3 for hrxc and carbon seat post and handle bars?????

[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]looking at making some minor upgrades to my hrxc and wanted to get some opinions when it came getting hydro brakes from hayes or avid......also some opinions on carbon seatpost and handlebars(bent the bars that came with the bike)........also im a guy that rides mostly on smooth surfaces and your ocasional rutts and mud spots but not jumpin or hitting stuff to hard......would it be a good investment to get dart 3's with poplock?????i really didnt plan on spendin over 275 on forks.....

mtbr member
    What forks do you have now, and why do you feel you need to upgrade if you only ride on smooth surfaces? Dart 3's don't sound like much of an upgrade to anything unless you have some cheap RST's or Dart 1 or 2's.

What were you doing to break the handlebars?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    still have the stock rst's..........i didnt completely break the handlebars there just bent alittle.............being6'8 300 lbs doesnt help.......... i really dont need fancy forks just something with some minor ajustibilty features....nothing to outrageous.......

mtbr member
    Well personally I'd look at some Marzocchi MX Pro's, Or RockShox Tora 302 or 318's - the Darts won't be much of an improvement. Brakes can be expensive to upgrade - I don't know what you've got at the moment but if Avid Juicy 5's are in your price range then they're good value for money.

If you've bent one handlebar then you're brave even thinking of replacing it with carbon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    so going with carbon would probably be a bad thing to go with for my size??????

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbilly985
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]looking at making some minor upgrades to my hrxc and wanted to get some opinions when it came getting hydro brakes from hayes or avid......also some opinions on carbon seatpost and handlebars(bent the bars that came with the bike)........also im a guy that rides mostly on smooth surfaces and your ocasional rutts and mud spots but not jumpin or hitting stuff to hard......would it be a good investment to get dart 3's with poplock?????i really didnt plan on spendin over 275 on forks.....
    A guy your size should never consider a carbon seat post. Look at the Thomson Elite. As far as a fork goes, your going to run into trouble here. Most lower end forks are coil sprung and they will be undersprung for your weight. That means youll have to get another spring and have it installed and then the cost just keeps rising. If your riding nothing but smooth stuff, pick up a nice CroMo fork. Just be aware of the axle to crown measurement.

As far as a carbon bar, why? Unless your trying to build a light bike there is no reason to get a carbon bar.

As far as brakes go, you really dont need Hydros, again, unless your trying to shave some weight off your bike. I've had Avid Juicy 7s that worked great! And on my rigid bike I have Avid BB5 mechanicals and they, well, work great!

If you wanna try some upgrades, start with the tires. Try some Kenda Karmas Just dont order them from "Beyond Bikes". I've been waiting TWO months for mine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    being a man of my size i would be comfortable with brakes that had alittle more power in them then having to wrench on the tektro mech. to stop my big self. i was haulin down the street and a guy ran a stop sign in front of me and just stopped in time....that was not fun at all.......my rear wheel didnt even lock up to skid to dodge the car.......so thats my reason for getting hydros ya dig

Weekend Warrior
    The Dart 2 and 3 are basically identical forks. Just feature upgrade. In regards to your weight you should upgrade the fork with a Firm spring and you should be fine. I would pick up a Tora somewhere for just a couple bucks more. The Darts should sell for around $120 new on the internet. The Tora will go for around $200 or less (depending on the deals).

In regards to brakes, if you go disk you need the 185mm rotors for your weight. I just sidegraded to 185mm front and 160mm rear. I should have gone with 185 in the rear as well as braking power seems to fade fast. If you go with V-brakes make sure you get good levers, good calipers and Koolstop pads. With a good setup (either way) you should get enough power to even take you over the handle bars.

Don't mess around with carbon at this stage. Stick with what you got unless you really can't live with it. It's easier for you to drop a pound that it is for the bike. When I started riding a bit over a year ago I weight in at 192lbs, this morning I measured 178lbs. My bike suddenly feels a lot faster too

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    185 mm disc fit on the rears of a hrxc??????i have the 160mm brake that came with the bike but the first i rode them hard i soon found out they were in dier need of being up graded. the question was what to upgrade the old with the new. well the handle bars are going to be replaced no matter what......with what i dont know......i would like something with alittle more rise maybe.....carbon is totally out out the picture now......football season is in full swing down here so once were done with that im hoping to drop at least 40 maybe 50 lbs. which will put alot less stress on my bike.

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure you can go 180mm in the rear. Don't worry about your bike. Imagine a 160 pounder taking a 6 foot drop with your bike. He'll put much more weight during that drop than you could ever put on. If you had a Wallyworld bike I'd be concerned about weight, yet I see a 300 pounder in my neighborhood riding a full suspension Next bike, you should see the compression on the springs ....

Graphic Designer
    I have a Tora Fork that is crazy heavy, I was looking to get some lighter handlebars, does anyone know the approx weight of stock handlebars (I have a '07 rockhopper) so I can compare new ones?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a dart 3 i put on my hardrock sport disc to replace the rst gila it had on it. WOW a huge difference between the two. The dart three has the lockout, preload and rebound adjustment. I run 6ft 260 and it performs just fine for me. If i hadnt got such a good deal on it i would have gone with the Tora but with shipping, and even the best deals its next to impossibe to find one under two and a quarter. I have tried. I did find one at a LBS for $195 but the steerer was too short. I think it was a new takeoff.

OSCMTB
    Go for Avid BB7s. If you're 300, I'd either go 203mm/185mm rear or 185/185 (F/R). Great value, great power.

Carbon is a terrible idea at your weight. It doesn't bend, it snaps.

Bike Geek

clyde

The fattest tires you could fit on your frame and a bigger front rotor would work great. Check out the clydesdale forum here.
    RIP AL DAVIS