mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Open Letter to Specialized (about your Hardrock line)

Hey guys,

Thanks for making great bikes. I bought my Hardrock a year ago, and I do not regret my purchase. It's taken a beating, and comes back for more.

With that said, I'd like to lend your some assistance. Since the Hardrock is a fairly popular model, I have some suggestions that I believe would make a good bike excellent.

1. Cable routing. Why would you put two cables on the bottom of the downtube? That area is the first place (besides the tires) that the dirt ends up. Putting an exposed cable there makes it difficult to retain consistent shifting.

2. Use of proprietary components. This has actually been fixed on the 2008 models, but it's worth mentioning. Look, let's be realistic. The components on the Hardrock are crap. The reason people buy Hardrocks is for the frame. So, components are inevitably going to replaced and upgraded. Why, then, would you use a system that has relatively little industry support? Yes, I'm talking about centerlock. Why? It only makes things difficult.

3. Geometry. Let's be realistic again. People who buy Hardrocks aren't that concerned about weight (especially when the Rockhopper line is similarly priced). So here's the suggestion. Why wouldn't you make the headtube beefier to accommodate a range of forks. That way, people can choose to leave their headtube angle at 70 degrees with a 100mm fork or to make the front end slack with a 140mm fork? (Kind of like the P, All Mountain series) If this were the case, we could choose to configure the bikes as either a very beefy cross country bike, or a trail hardtail.

4. Weak Paint

spec4life???..smh...
    im gonna have to completely agree with the cable routing issue. Also why the heck is the cable to the rear derailer run along the bottom tube of the rear triangle instead of the top like most bike. Sure makes chainstay guards difficult.

I got the 08 model so number 2 dont apply but as far as the geo seems the top tube is a little short to me. Overall however i agree that it is a great first bike.

mtbr member
    1. agree

2. shi*ano is stupid like that. now get ready for heavier AND flexier(compared to maxle) 15mm fox forks thanks to shi*mano.(not on hardrocks obviousy)

3.a 140mm fork on this bike would be dumb. i ran a reba on it at 80-100mm and was doing 10ft drops and 25ft gaps. any more and you got a west coast chopper between you legs.

4. the new paint for 09 is really cool, but the frames are more XC, good or bad, depends on who you are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    3.a 140mm fork on this bike would be dumb. i ran a reba on it at 80-100mm and was doing 10ft drops and 25ft gaps. any more and you got a west coast chopper between you legs.
    Well, the part that I was trying to emphasize is actually the slacker geometry.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    epic is the same way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The reason cables are often run under the downtube is because they hit nearly as much dirt and make the bike much more difficult to carry under the top tube, and over the top tube can result in some nasty injuries from quick dismounts (as well as being vulnerable to sweat on roadbikes/ trainer use). There's no clear winner option.

Centrelock is imo a better system than 6-bolt, just as secure and much quicker to install/remove. Maybe one day it'll catch on..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If the frame was designed around 140mm it wouldn't ride as well with 100mm forks...

Since there are no entry level 140mm forks of value and reasonable quality in most manufacturer's line ups why would they design a bike around a fork that a customer MIGHT fit months or even years down the line?

All your concerns are addressed by the P All-Mountain bike which is cheaper than buying a hardrock and also upgrading to similar components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'll add my 2 cents on the hardrocks.

your mindset is very common for hardrock buyers who are enthusiasts. not very many people who are enthusiast are buying hardrocks. hardrocks are entry lever bikes, so most people are open to the mindset of upgrades, but not necessarily committed to it. many haven't committed to the sport yet. remember that the $500 price point is pretty steep fomr most people to get into the sport. not many of them see that as the price to start riding a bike that will cost you even more in broken and worn out parts. these people want to step out the door and not come back. it's an incredibly niave viewpoint, but there it is.

in 2006 the hardrock line underwent some pretty significant changes. there's plenty of reasons for it, but i'll stick to the ones i'm most familiar with. prior to 06 the hardrock had a very beefy headtube area. it handled urban abuse and such with ease and it was extrememly popular to bypass the p bikes and put a dj on the hardrocks. we had guys using the womens models for dirt jumpers. so losing sales to the p bikes isn't good for specialized's marketing. also in terms of marketing, the aforementioned p all mountain was introduced in 06. in 05 it was the rockhopper pro (aggro i think.) spec'd with a 130mm fork and iscg mounts.

now as far as the proprietary issue, i'll tread lightly, or maybe there's no reason to anymore, thank you very much. but centerlock isn't proprietary. it's an industry standard developed by shimano and used by several other manufacturers. in terms of maintenance it is quicker and simpler. anyone have a cassette ever just fall off? well, centerlocks aren't likely to either. i don't like it, but only because of its limiting factor of poor adoption thus far. the parts are crap, yup, but they aren't proprietary at that price point.

cable routing sucks industry wide. why is it that it seems to be like pulling teeth to get a frame that can be routed with full length cable & huosing if desired? cannondale's new offshore low end crap is like that and it is one of the nicer things about htose frames. specialized had the downtube routing and a tall cable guide that tends to break whenever you are unlucky enough to smack your bb shell on something.

putting a 130 or 140mm fork on here is somewhat silly for the intended target customers. customers who want a bigger fork are going to be looking at a different bike more than 9 times of 10. so it just doens't make sense to address it in the design stages. however, the head tubes can probably handle it. i know the 05 series handled my 130mm dj2 with ease.

you're not that common of a hardrock buyer. you're the ideal hardrock buyer, the one who got hooked and is in for more. but that just means that the bike did it's job, and now you're finding it's limitations. now you need to step up to another bike, getting the picture yet?