Thread: Older FSR XC

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Older FSR XC

So at a small shop I found an 04 FSR XC for 300 dollars. The only problem is that the rear derailleur is broken and the rear shock is possibly shot. Is it worth it to drop the money on this thing? Other than those two things the bike is fine and in good shape.

mtbr member
    Based on the fact that it has some worn or broken parts you can probably expect to find more problems as you get deeper into it. If you are able to do your own repairs it's may be worth buying.

Two potentially expensive problems are the fork and the rear suspension. Try moving the rear wheel up and down to check for linkage wear. Then ask the shop to remove the rear shock. Move the rear triangle through it's full stroke and move it side to side to check for loose or binding bearings.

Apply the front brake and try rocking the bike forward and backward to check for fork play.
    To avoid injury, do not ride with your eyes closed

mtbr member
    May 2007

I was lucky with my find

I purchased an 04 for $600 that was in excellent shape. It is super fun and I added my own parts mix to bring it down to around 25 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Older FSR XC-side-view.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007

Rear shock

Quote Originally Posted by cbieh589
    So at a small shop I found an 04 FSR XC for 300 dollars. The only problem is that the rear derailleur is broken and the rear shock is possibly shot. Is it worth it to drop the money on this thing? Other than those two things the bike is fine and in good shape.

You could replace the Float R with an rp23. I'm considering doing that to improve the ride considerably. Overall, the Float R performs ok, but I think it would be way better with a bit more adjustment potential.

I haven't seen signs of the rear linkage giving me any problems yet on my 04, however, it was basically new when I got it last year.

The frame is light enough to race well if you spec it right.