Old School FSR rebuild

Printable View

• 02-28-2012
    pcmark
    1 Attachment(s)
    Old School FSR rebuild
    I don't see too many old school FSR's in this section of the Forums so here's mine:

I'm building this up as a second bike to play around with. I picked the bike up on Craigslist pretty much all original for $200. I already had the drivetrain, rims, and brakes I took off another bike that I parted out and sold awhile back. I swapped all of that stuff over and got it rideable. Now I'll slowly upgrade it as I'm able.

Here's what I've done so far:

Shimano 3X10 drivetrain, XT shifters, derailleurs, cassette, Deore cranks
    Avid BB7 discs with SD Ti levers
    Avid 721 rims with XT hubs
    Specialized Henge saddle
    Thomson seatpost
    Fox F80 terralogic fork

Things on the upgrade list:
    Lighter wheelset
    BETD suspension linkage
    shorter/lighter stem
    carbon bars

What do you guys think? This is a budget build, so there's not much bling or fanciness going on.
  • 02-29-2012
    ijd
    I like it. I've got a 02 FSR stumpy that was rebuilt last but mines a 3x9 setup. I'd be interested to see how yours goes with the BETD linkage.
    Looking at the pic you could cut your seat post down a bit.
  • 02-29-2012
    pcmark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ijd View Post
    I like it. I've got a 02 FSR stumpy that was rebuilt last but mines a 3x9 setup. I'd be interested to see how yours goes with the BETD linkage.
    Looking at the pic you could cut your seat post down a bit.

Yep, I'm planning on cutting an inch and a half or so of the seatpost off. I had a BETD linkage on my 2000 S-Works FSR and I loved it.
  • 03-02-2012
    Cobretti
    That was a good score. I bought one new in 02. It recently developed a crack at the right dropout, not sure if I'll get it fixed or not.
    Why only an 80mm fork? It came with a 100mm from the factory. I used a talus set between 110 - 120, worked well. If you get a betd link, the front will be way too low.
    Anyway, looks great so far.
  • 03-02-2012
    pcmark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    That was a good score. I bought one new in 02. It recently developed a crack at the right dropout, not sure if I'll get it fixed or not.
    Why only an 80mm fork? It came with a 100mm from the factory. I used a talus set between 110 - 120, worked well. If you get a betd link, the front will be way too low.
    Anyway, looks great so far.

According to the Specialized site, the stock RS Duke was 80mm. Yeah, I really think a 100mm fork would be better, but I got a great deal on the current fork. I'll keep my eye out for an F100. I scored a front Mavic Crossmax rim from Craigslist for $25 a few days ago. It needs a set of hub bearings and it will be good to go. I'm watching Ebay for a matching rear. That will be a nice upgrade. The Mavic 721's on their now are tanks, and it's noticable on the trails. Plus, I really want a true UST rim.
  • 03-02-2012
    Cobretti
    Interesting. My duke shows a little over 100mm of stanchion. I just assumed that was the travel, give or take.
    In that case, if you do get the link, a 120mm fork would be a good match.
  • 03-02-2012
    Metacomet
    Awesome bike. They do crack @ the chainstay though so watch out for that.

I'd be interested in buying your used link if you go with the BETD. PM me
  • 03-21-2012
    pcmark
    1 Attachment(s)
    OK, so I made some progress on the wheels. I swapped out the Mavic 721's for a set of 717's. I saved almost a pound right there! The 721's are spec'ed at 590g each, and the Mavic 717's are around 400g. I'm running tubes for now but I'll eventually go tubeless. Gonna hit the trails tomorrow!
  • 03-27-2012
    Bootlegfab
    I had to register just to reply to this post...I'm diggin the bike. I was just given a 2002 FSR XC Pro for free from a buddy so I could get back into riding again. Running the stock wheels with Stans tubeless conversion, used Formula Oro K24 brakes with a 203mm up front (thru axles used front and rear) Sunline V1 Stem (70mm I think), the BETD linkage, new Fox R23 (warranty replacement I'm told) and a RS Recon u-turn fork. Haven't had a chance to get it on dirt yet. How do you like the linkage? What setting do you have it at? Great to see someone else fixing up an old FSR.
  • 03-27-2012
    pcmark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootlegfab View Post
    I had to register just to reply to this post...I'm diggin the bike. I was just given a 2002 FSR XC Pro for free from a buddy so I could get back into riding again. Running the stock wheels with Stans tubeless conversion, used Formula Oro K24 brakes with a 203mm up front (thru axles used front and rear) Sunline V1 Stem (70mm I think), the BETD linkage, new Fox R23 (warranty replacement I'm told) and a RS Recon u-turn fork. Haven't had a chance to get it on dirt yet. How do you like the linkage? What setting do you have it at? Great to see someone else fixing up an old FSR.

Welcome to the forum.:D Your FSR sounds pretty sweet. Lets see some pictures!

I haven't bought my BETD linkage for this bike yet. I had one on my 2000 S-Works and I loved it. I decided to upgrade the wheels first, so the linkage will be my next big purchase. I just picked up a 2001 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp off Criagslist last night for $200. I think I'll clean it up and flip it.
  • 03-27-2012
    Metacomet
    3 Attachment(s)
    '99 :thumbsup:
  • 03-27-2012
    Bootlegfab
    Lemme try and rack up some posts and I'll post pics ASAP. Wheels are definitely on the list of upgrades tho. The stock wheelset is ok at best.
  • 03-29-2012
    Bootlegfab
    just replied to your other post asking about a BETD linkage and didn't realize it was your post :madman: here's a pic, spent today setting up the suspension.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...oy/Image-1.jpg
  • 03-29-2012
    moofish
    2 Attachment(s)
    Does this count?
    This hasnt always been a FSR. Its a bit of a Frankenbike
  • 03-29-2012
    Bootlegfab
    Looks good!
  • 03-31-2012
    pcmark
    Quote:

just replied to your other post asking about a BETD linkage and didn't realize it was your post :madman: here's a pic, spent today setting up the suspension.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...oy/Image-1.jpg

Could you measure your bottom bracket height? I'm constantly smacking rocks with my pedals and I'm curious how much the BETD linkage will raise the BB. I may have to get one sooner than later.
  • 03-31-2012
    Bootlegfab
    You're in luck. I'm working on it now. With it set at the 120mm travel, lower bb height option...the underside of my BB is 13.5". You have the option of running it 3/8" higher or so but I'm happy with it now. I'm not sure what stock height is.
  • 03-31-2012
    Bootlegfab
    Only caveat of the 120mm setting is the increased shock pressure. I'm running 240psi now and I weigh 180 in gear.
  • 04-01-2012
    Luca
    I just rebuilt a 2003.5 specialized xc fsr

I'll try to get some pics up soon.
  • 04-01-2012
    pcmark
    2 Attachment(s)
    Bought this one on Craigslist. Tuned it up and fixed a few things on it. Going to sell it to fund more upgrades on my other bikes.
  • 04-02-2012
    Bootlegfab
    Looks sharp. I need to start flipping bikes to fund my upgrades.
  • 04-03-2012
    pcmark
    Quote:

Looks sharp. I need to start flipping bikes to fund my upgrades.

The bike found a new home last night and i made $150 profit. Almost enough for the BETD linkage.:D That was a nice bike. 100% original except for the seatpost and seat. Even had the original tires on it still and they weren't worn out yet. Funny, the guy who bought it spent about 10 seconds looking at it and didn't even test ride it. He probably wanted to get out of there before I changed my mind about selling it.:)
  • 04-04-2012
    Bootlegfab
    how do you like the Henge saddle? Thinking about getting either the Henge or the Phenom
  • 04-04-2012
    Luca
    6 Attachment(s)
    My rebuilt xc.
  • 04-04-2012
    moofish
    Very nice.