Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    After sending emails over and over again to Risse I gave up.Their stuff looks great but expensive and obviously Im a total tightass.I would love to get rid of the rear disc adaptor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm kind of cross posting this but I didnt know there was an og FSR thread. This one of two old FSR bikes I have right now:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

'04 fsr

What does the BETD linkage do exactly? do you need to replace the rear shock?
    Would that help an '04?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School FSR rebuild-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr19146 View Post
    What does the BETD linkage do exactly? do you need to replace the rear shock?
    Would that help an '04?
    You wont need to replace the shock if you get the BETD linkage. The BETD link offers more suspension travel, but in my case, I am getting it more for the increased bottom bracket height because I smack the pedals constantly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The BETD won't fit your 04. If you want more travel put a longer shock on. I did that with my 06 S-works. It helped... But not like on the older model where the travel was silly short from the factory.

I'd send the 04 to pasture and get a new stumpjumper if you are looking for more. Your fork and stem also need to go at a minimum, so after the cost of those plus shock...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks!
    I was intrigued but don't think i really need anymore travel in the rear. I'm riding this baby till the frame breaks!

mtbr member

look what I just bought.

Ok now I got one will I have to get a longer shock?( please say yes!!) I am now waiting for it to be delivered. Are these as rare as I think they are?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School FSR rebuild-link.jpg  

mtbr member
    bump

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here is the other FSR I have. This is a white 2003 Rockhopper FSR. Has some upgrades on it.

Last edited by solidfish; 12-09-2012 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I like the looks of that white one. Looks sharp,

mtbr member

woo hoo I got my link!!!

Old School FSR rebuild-20121211_214240.jpg

Old School FSR rebuild-20121211_214248.jpg
    Now I need to get a good shock. I think with the new link I can go a little longer than the stock 160mm RS Deluxe. Any suggestions guys I would like to try an air shock to keep the weight down.

mtbr member
    That white Rockhopper looks really nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moofish View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121211_214240.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	744040

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121211_214248.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	744041
    Now I need to get a good shock. I think with the new link I can go a little longer than the stock 160mm RS Deluxe. Any suggestions guys I would like to try an air shock to keep the weight down.
    Hmmm, whats the stroke on that shock? You could go 6.5 X1.5 Fox Float RC maybe? Get a newer one with Pro-pedal if you can find one.

mtbr member
    I think the listed stroke on the shock is 1 3/4" I think I could get away with a 7" shock with the DH link.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A shock upgrade (or even freshening at same level) could help. Just watch BB height. I haven't measured but would be worried about a longer shock taking an already high BB height too high.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi, I love this thread as I am still riding my 2001 Specialized Enduro Comp! I took a sabbatical from biking while motorcycling, but now I am back into riding! I have upgraded a lot on this bike. I am currently running RS Psylos but they are shot and I just ordered some Manitou Minute Experts 130mm. I added the BETD linkage years ago and really felt it transformed the ride and really keeps it current. I mostly use it at the 5 inch setting. I also upgraded the spring rate to a 750lbs, but am getting ready to replace the shock with something better. The Avid BB7 are nice but I find them grabby. I also recently put on new rings, sprockets and chain. I am running Grip Shifts as well. The tires I have on now are a 2.4 Firepro FR and a 2.35 Kujo DH out back. They are still good, but I need to get some new rubber as they are only ok on wet roots/trails. They rocked in San Diego, but now up here near Seattle, I need something more appropriate. I'll keep updating as I get new toys for my ride.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo:
    Old School FSR rebuild-imag0669-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Update: After adding my new Manitou Minute fork, I am truly in love with this bike again! So much better control and ride quality. here is a better photo:

Old School FSR rebuild-fsrminute.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well... after blowing out and being frustrated with the stock Manitou fork on my 2004 FSR XCpro, I finally ponied up for a Reba RL 100mm Diffusion. Pretty groovy! I finally got in a short cul-de-sac test ride a little while ago and it seems good. Can't wait to get it out on real trails. Shaved 1.1 pounds off as well, so that can't be bad!

I've invested a lot in this bike over the past 3 years, but every time I get tempted to replace it with something more "modern" I take it out on the trails and fall in love with it all over again. If it's fun, why get rid of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School FSR rebuild-fsr2.jpg  

Old School FSR rebuild-fsr1.jpg  

2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice FSR. I agree on your attitude, why get something new, when the old FSR is still fantastic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Thoughts on two older FSR's and newer Santa Cruz

Looking at a couple of used bikes for sale in the $750 to $850 range, any preferences between these three? Would be my first mtb and looking at mostly riding trails to start.

Looking at an '04 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite:
    (first pic) 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    - Upgraded front and rear brakes
    - Upgraded XTR on rear
    Always maintained by professional bike dealer.
    Good condition with normal use.

(second pic) 2011 Santa Cruz Superlight DXC:
    Front Suspension Fork RockShox Reba RLT, 120mm-travel
    Brakes Avid Elixir 1 Disc Brakeset 160/160
    Cassettes Shimano, 10-speed: 11-36
    Cranks Shimano Deore FC-M590 Crankset 175mm 42/32/24
    Front Derailleurs Shimano Deore
    Handlebars Easton EA30
    Rear Derailleurs Shimano SLX RD-M662 SGS Rear Derailleur
    Saddles WTB Volt Sport
    Shifters Shimano Deore
    Rear Shock Fox Float R 7.875"x 2" (200x50mm)
    Wheels Mavic XM 119 rims laced to Shimano M525 hubs w/ DT 14 gauge

(3rd pic) and I believe an '07 Specialized FSR XC:
    Medium size frame, 26" tires, Shimano Deore LX, avid juicy five hydraulic disks, rock shox Tora and x-fusion suspension, platform pedals included. Overall the bike is in excellent condition and has not been abused.

Tried to find reviews, but really want to know if these are now outdated and if there are better buys for the $?

Appreciate the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School FSR rebuild-04.jpg  

Old School FSR rebuild-07.jpg  

Old School FSR rebuild-11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    3rd pic is actually the santa cruz and 2nd pic is what I believe to be the '07 specialized

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lowest priced is the '04 specialized

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The other two are priced the same

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here is mine, I LOVE this bike!!!!:

Is this a 1999 model year? I want to go over the rear suspension and rebuild it if needed...but I'm not sure how to go about that. How do i go about getting the coil spring out of there so I can relax the tension to go over the pivot points etc.? Do i need a spring compressor? Can i get replacement pivot points and bearings for it somewhere?

I saw someone had discs mounted front and back. I would LOVE to have that! I know the Judy has the mounting point but there isn't one on the rear triangle

I don't mind the coil spring on the trails, fine by me. I just want to make sure the rear triangle is all good and tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You should be able to simply take out the center bolt in the linkage to separate it from the shock. It is not under any big tension. On the replacement bearings, I am not sure, but I did come across this thread that covers some of what you may need on a similar FSR

FSR Pivot Bearing Overhaul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast