Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

OK stumpjumpers fsr, how do u like your ride?

please coment what style of riding, what do u like most, what u don't, upgrades if any or planning to do, your last bikes or others, your weight, and if you have the time, post a pic.
    I'm really thinking about the chapest 06 (the red or grey-black) and comming from a 03 enduro need to know what to expect.
    P.S. I tried the Mtbr product reviews but it's all messed up with the year models, suspension travel, etc.
    thanks for your help.

Weapon of Choice
    I sold my stumpy 06 hardtail to get an Stumpy FSR expert 120. It rides a hell of alot better on the technical rocky root infested trails I go on. This is my first full suspension and after paying my dues for years on HT; I thought why not give it a try, sure glad I did. Try to get an 05 at rock bottom price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gravity Rides Everything
    I've put over 1000 miles on my sj120.

i like it. i like it even better since i got the shock pushed. it handles great, it's light enough, and it's durable. you won't regret it.

mtbr member

Great Bike Fun to Ride

I just spent a few hours on my 06 S Works Stumpjumper, it kept a smile on my face the whole time. Did mostly XC around my house/city. The bike is responsive, nice on the body, fast when needed-all around pleasure of a machine. Can take the rough stuff when asked. Good going up and down. I realy like the mechanics of the Horst Link. And a piece of work looks wise- just check out the photo of Icemans Expert-that is cool.

I come from a Cannondale Prophet and Scalpel which I still ride---the Stumpjumper is a great bike- no worries you will love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

best ever

i came from a hardtail and it was pulling teethe to get this bike last year. over 2000 miles on it. ive upgraded the handlebars, cranks, stem, pedals, pedals, pedals, just recently upgraded to king hubs and 819 rims, new king headset too, seat went fast, shock will be the next thing to get a PUSH. it is in the shop right now. leaking. i get to ride the hardtail....my butt hurts. tubeless should be a nice addition, i dont plan on upgrading this bike until they pry it from my cold dead hands. the last big expense i plan in hitting up will be the stem.stock too short. setback seatpost will put me too far back. this thing is a tank, it can take a hell of a beating. no need for a pic, same bike as above, just a bit dirtier..

Got Ventana
    I have had my 06 stumpy expert for 6 months now and have nothing but praise for it. Loves the rocky rooty trails here in Australia. Drops upto 1.5 mtrs are fine (I weigh 86 kgs). Climbs rutted out and tecnical single track really well.

I have upgraded the wheel set to Sun Ringle SOS camo rims with dice hubs, Candy SL's pedals and a WTB Rocket V saddle . Will be upgrading to carbon seat post and handlebars soon, i may also be talked into a sram drivetrain when mine wears out.

No matter what model you get you wont be dissapointed.

Sorry cant get a pic to work. Arrrgh

Stumpy Pic
    Last edited by tomb; 03-19-2006 at 04:18 AM.

mtbr member
    I just got my '06 Stumpjumper FSR Expert a month ago and love it! I'll never go back to the HT. It weights just a tick under 28 lbs. for a large and no mods yet. From what I hear around these forums you could get an Expert model near $2499. It seems like a good deal to me. I came from a 2001 stumpy pro model that weighs just under 23 lbs. I don't feel the weight climbing like I thought I would. The downhill is twenty times better, I think the new "slacker" geometry is part of that. I don't race anymore, but I don't see why you couldn't on this.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Love my 06 stumpy comp

Just back from an epic Tamrancho ride yesterday (finally a weekend of sun in the Bay Area) and I'm still grinning from ear to ear. Last time I was on that trail was on my old Rockhopper hardtail. What a difference, I was able to clear many of the rocky sections that I walked with the hardtail. The FSR just absorbs everything and and the FOX float is butter, just butter smoothe. I have done a few upgrades, Thompson stem and seatpost, WTB seat, Ouri lock-on grips. Next on the wish list is King headset and the tires are wearing a bit. I'm 230 lbs and the frame has never flexed, and nothing has broken. I highly recommend this bike for aggressive singletrack trails, steep decents and techy rock gardens. Don't be afraid of the comp. or base models, they can fit your budget and you can upgrade all the small parts as they wear-out (they won't break). Enjoy!!

mtbr member

Reply to KramRam E-mail questions re: Brain and Cables

KramRam, I received your e-mail re: my S-works but was unable to respond-mtb. says your e-mail is disabled. To answer your questions- my S-works is the Carbon model and I could not be more pleased with bike so far. Have had the bike on a pretty good trail up in north Georgia that was a good mix of XC fire roads and medium mountain terrain with rock and technical and the bike did great. I am more into the XC than the technical and man did the Stump eat up the XC- but bike could do either well in IMHO. The Brain fade has taken some time to tune in, (trial and error and personal preference) but now is riding great. I weigh 180 and have the shock set at 195 psi which is top end under reccomendations from Fox. I prefer a medium firm suspension and have the Brain set a few clicks(3-4) out from firm.

As far as the cable routings under the frame I am not into every mud obstacle through a river kind of rider and have not had any problems with collecting excess debris under cables. Just the usual stuff that can be washed off with a hose after ride. I come from Cannondale Scalpel/Prophet bikes which I still ride. I can highly reccomend the Stump in either Al or Carbon you will not be dissapointed, it is a great bike-good luck. Let me know if I can help further. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have just received my 06' FSR 120 and for a great deal. ($2100.00)
    With pedals it comes in at or just under 28lbs. I have a complete King wheelset on order and other than that I think the only other up grade will be lighter stem (stock is 175) and bars (stock 220). The ride is just awesome. I still have an 03' Tomac 98 special and the FSR just blow that out of the water. I can not wait to put some long rides on this thing!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    KramRam, I received your e-mail re: my S-works but was unable to respond-mtb. says your e-mail is disabled. To answer your questions- my S-works is the Carbon model and I could not be more pleased with bike so far. Have had the bike on a pretty good trail up in north Georgia that was a good mix of XC fire roads and medium mountain terrain with rock and technical and the bike did great. I am more into the XC than the technical and man did the Stump eat up the XC- but bike could do either well in IMHO. The Brain fade has taken some time to tune in, (trial and error and personal preference) but now is riding great. I weigh 180 and have the shock set at 195 psi which is top end under reccomendations from Fox. I prefer a medium firm suspension and have the Brain set a few clicks(3-4) out from firm.

As far as the cable routings under the frame I am not into every mud obstacle through a river kind of rider and have not had any problems with collecting excess debris under cables. Just the usual stuff that can be washed off with a hose after ride. I come from Cannondale Scalpel/Prophet bikes which I still ride. I can highly reccomend the Stump in either Al or Carbon you will not be dissapointed, it is a great bike-good luck. Let me know if I can help further. Cheers.
    Could you send us some photos? I'm really curious how does your bike look like. Thanks.

mtbr member

Stump Carbon Pics

Persing- I will try to upload some photos soon. Took some pics today.

Bike to the Bone...
    I have a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR, which I think it's a pretty cool ride. It is very stable, plush yet you don't feel like floating. Unfortunately, I'm selling it, and someone already offered to buy it.

Sniff!!! missing it already.

The reason for the sell is because I've bought a Titus Moto Lite, and both are pretty similar (HL, all-mountain bikes). I would love to keep both, but one had to go.......

Got Ventana

A pic of my stumpy

mtbr member
    The brown expert is nice......european model maybe?

Got Ventana
    Australian

mtbr member

40th Birthday Stump

I have enjoyed the hell out of this bike- keeps a smile on my face. My wife was very understanding-God bless her.

Never worng!
    I bought my first FS the '06 SJ FSR in gray.
    I ride rocky gnarly rooty trails with a lot of rough climbing over same.
    I was absolutely flabbergasted by the ProPedal. My first ride I had to stand on the pedals
    on a steep climb and did not notice any bob. If it was there, I couldn't tell.
    The 120mm travel and the Avid BB7s are super!

The SJ is surprisingly light. Probably around 28 lbs.
    I did change the grips to Odi Ruffian lock-ons, different pedals and added the mudflap shock protector.
    But for now I can't see anything on the SJ I'd want to upgrade.
    I love it! Definitely 5 Chili Peppers!

mtbr member
    I LOVE MY STUMPY!
    Upgrades:
    Hayes HFX9 brakes
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Custom fender
    Wireless Cateye computer
    Crankbros Mallet M's
    Panaracer Cinder rear tire
    Odi Rogue lock-ons

My weight 198lbs
    Float 100psi | Triad 230psi

* custom scrap wood bike stand

mtbr member

Cool Stand Lumbee

Great lookin bikes guys-that stand is perfect Lumbee-everything you need and a place to store your equipment-and keeps that carpet white.

mtbr member

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I LOVE MY STUMPY!
    Upgrades:
    Hayes HFX9 brakes
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Custom fender
    Wireless Cateye computer
    Crankbros Mallet M's
    Panaracer Cinder rear tire
    Odi Rogue lock-ons

My weight 198lbs
    Float 100psi | Triad 230psi

* custom scrap wood bike stand
    I think you may have taken a picture of my bike and helmet and shoes by accident. No seriously I have all the same shiz. I have upgraded the drivetrain to all Sram X9, Thompson post and stem, Easton Monkey Lite Carbon bar, and Time Carbon pedals. Next on the list is the wheel set. I just bought mine two weeks ago and have only had two chances to ride it so I can't give a great review but I will say this.

1. Specialized has it together on their rear suspension it pedals great with little to no pedal bob but is very active on downhill and under braking.

2. My bike only weighs 26 LBS coming from a 42 LB DH bike it feels like a feather.

3. I wanted a good trail bike with ample suspension. I ride a lot of enduro type rides, long with lots of climbing and hopefully even more downhill.

Seriously two weeks ago I was in your shoes and I would definitely say go for it. The Stumpy is a great all around trail bike.

Is buying a SJ FSR a mistake?
    [SIZE="4"]`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`..`..`...><((((> `.. `.. [/SIZE]

Weapon of Choice
    Awesome bike Wick, My wife would never let me buy that bike, she just wouldnt understand!!!!!! Ha Ha Sweet Ride dude.

mtbr member

Thanks Iceman

We are expecting the birth of our first child in two weeks so I think her mind was on other things-otherwise I'm in big trouble.

mtbr member

stumpjumper

I love this thing... I have it set up as my one bike... xc frame with mrp link, and a touch of sherman fork 90-130 mm Attachment 150993
    Last edited by xc_flip; 04-17-2007 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

it seems like nobody comes from an enduro (130mm)

would it be because it's almost the same or because the old enduro it's better? that got me thinking...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast