mtbr member

OK, so I am at my LBS looking at shoes and..

I'm complaining about my socks getting wet when crossing streams in cold temps here in the mid-atlantic region. So the LBS owner pulls out these space boots..........

Specialized Bicycle Components

and I am like, "wow, those probably cost like $300.00 right?" No, $180.00, so I am like, well that is a lot but it is also a lot to have my toes numb and wet or wet and numb (whatever) in 38 degree weather! So I buy them based on the excuse that it was my birthday.

So I go ride.

So I come off the ride and am totally blown away with dry warm feet I might add. Nothing to say other than WOW those were worth every single penny.

I have been the first in this forum to point out Spec. products that fall short. I am taking this opportunity for equal time..
    Last edited by Stumpjumper61; 11-11-2012 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have 2 friends with these shoes too, and they seem to really like them.

I have some Louis Garneau Zero Degree boots or something like that....

Neither are exactly a true "Winter Boot" in anyone's opinion, but I don't think anyone really makes a cycling shoe/boot that would keep your feet warm in sub-freezing temperatures.

But, yes once you get "Winter boots" for the cold/wet temp riding, you'll wish you had them years earlier!

Waiting for peace
    Not that I've run across in twenty years of riding... that includes 5 years of 36km out-and-back-commute all-year 'round in Quebec. best I've come up with so far is something like the Defroster with a neoprene shoe cover and a water-repellent shoe cover over that... temps get a bit warm over -15... but at anything near -40 you should be good for about 12km before your toes get cold from the cleats and steel plate in the shoe...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Not that I've run across in twenty years of riding... that includes 5 years of 36km out-and-back-commute all-year 'round in Quebec. best I've come up with so far is something like the Defroster with a neoprene shoe cover and a water-repellent shoe cover over that... temps get a bit warm over -15... but at anything near -40 you should be good for about 12km before your toes get cold from the cleats and steel plate in the shoe...
    I tip my hat to you sir!

Waiting for peace
    I didn't have much of a choice riding through that.... I'd already been working as a bike mechanic for about 10 years by that point, couldn't afford to keep the car after one shop closed very early, so I had to sell it along with most of the other stuff I had to pay rent until I could find another job... Took up ski and snowboard tuning and that was the commute. The 14 hours-a-day workload around X-mas was crazy in addition to the 2 hours to get back home...... I must have been out of my mind....

mtbr member
    I recently bought a pair and have been very happy with them so far. My feet have remained dry and warm since. One of the best things that can be said about a product is that it isn't noticed…this is one of those products. Body Geometry is great! They’re also one of the easier to clean and cheaper winter boots out there.

Just to add a comparison to this, I actually bought a pair of Northwave Celsius GTX boots first. Trying them in the store I couldn't tell much difference but out riding I quickly found lots of little things that annoyed me. The most rearward cleat position is 10mm-ish further forward, the ankle collar is obtrusive, they’re louder (cleat noise) and more difficult to walk in, they felt a bit dull/inefficient/disconnected from the bike, the shape of the sole is less supportive if you miss clipping in and the shorter lugs leave room for play between the shoe and pedal. I also couldn't find a balance between them being comfortably tight and stopping my feet sliding forward or pulling up at the heel. On the other hand, even the non Arctic version was ridiculously warm and the water proofing goes a bit further up.

mtbr member
    they dont make it in my size damit

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    These look like a much warmer, waterproof shoe than previous versions.

I like my Northwaves though, for temps around what we're getting now, and have a pair of Lakes for the really cold stuff. I won't say they keep my feet really warm, cause I'm a weenie, but they keep them bearable. I see people riding now in regular cycling shoes, and just can't imagine how they do it.

mtbr member
    I have the first gen. defrosters and they are a good shoe. Paired with smartwool (light or snowboard) sock is a good way to moderate and keep from sweating. I ride to 35 F with std shoes and smart wool, then switch to the defrosters when it gets cold. When they wear out I will buy new ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper61 View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components

and I am like, "wow, those probably cost like $300.00 right?" No, $180.00, so I am like, well that is a lot but it is also a lot to have my toes numb and wet or wet and numb (whatever) in 38 degree weather! So I buy them based on the excuse that it was my birthday.
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post
    I recently bought a pair and have been very happy with them so far. My feet have remained dry and warm since. One of the best things that can be said about a product is that it isn't noticed…this is one of those products. Body Geometry is great! They’re also one of the easier to clean and cheaper winter boots out there.

Just to add a comparison to this, I actually bought a pair of Northwave Celsius GTX boots first. Trying them in the store I couldn't tell much difference but out riding I quickly found lots of little things that annoyed me. The most rearward cleat position is 10mm-ish further forward, the ankle collar is obtrusive, they’re louder (cleat noise) and more difficult to walk in, they felt a bit dull/inefficient/disconnected from the bike, the shape of the sole is less supportive if you miss clipping in and the shorter lugs leave room for play between the shoe and pedal. I also couldn't find a balance between them being comfortably tight and stopping my feet sliding forward or pulling up at the heel. On the other hand, even the non Arctic version was ridiculously warm and the water proofing goes a bit further up.

Either of you mount cleats on your shoes and did you find the lugs too tall like what is shown in this post?
    2012 Specialized Defroster Winter Shoes

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168 View Post

I'll have to look at the Defroster's as well. I feel the exact same irritations about my Shimano's with Gore Tex (can't remember model)...they just feel like disconnected loafs of bread. I hate the ride of them so much, I just bare the cold in my regular shoes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Either of you mount cleats on your shoes and did you find the lugs too tall like what is shown in this post?
    I'm running XT M780 and M785 pedals with the standard cleats and have no problems. The shoe lugs are designed to meet the pedal body for support and they do this perfectly. They clip-in easily but with no loose feel or rocking from side to side that can be found with some other shoe/pedal combinations. In this respect they seem the same as my Specialized Sport MTB shoes.

I did notice lug/pedal contact was a bit too tight with Crank Brothers Candy 1 pedals but there are shims (plastic ones included or better steel ones available aftermarket) to go under the cleats specifically for this purpose and the fit with these pedals got noticeably better with use and soon didn't require shims.

It must be said my shoes are a few sizes bigger and slightly newer than WR304’s so maybe the problem is size or age specific. Specialized put the stud fittings back in so they may have tweaked other things.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Picked my Defrosters up today, very happy. Put the cleats on in the shop and tried them with M985 and M520 pedals and they worked fine, clipping in and out neatly and with good fit with the lugs around the clip, I've put this comment on the Defrosters forum as well.