Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Official Stumpjumper Evo HT thread (Al and carbon)

Lets consolidate and have a thread dedicated to the Stumpjumper Evo HT 29er models, both carbon (R) and aluminum. I think they are unique and deserve their own thread! Here is mine....a 2012 15.5" Stumpy Evo 29er HT. Been riding it for just over a year and loving this bike. Upgrades have included Alligator Serration rotors (to shut the brakes up), a Niner RDO carbon seatpost (for comfort), a S-Works Prowess carbon bar, and a pair of 2013 Roval Control wheels (set up tubeless of course!). I also picked up some lighter, dry condition tires - S-Works Fast Trak 2.0 for the front and a Renegade Control 1.95 for the back that I use in the summer/for racing. I run a Specy Rib Cage and a Garmin 500 as well as an Awesome Strap Race II to keep my CO2/spare tube/tire lever under the seat. Weight with OE tires is 23.8 lbs, with the summer tires, 23.2. For my weights, I include the pedals (Shimano 520s...HEAVY), cage, and Garmin mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Stumpjumper Evo HT thread (Al and carbon)-2012-12-19_11-31-15_567.jpg  

Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I will join in......Here is a photo of my 2011 19" Stumpy EVO in its natural habit. Top of South Fork Mountain near Whiskeytown Ca. Thanksgiving morning, 2012
    Official Stumpjumper Evo HT thread (Al and carbon)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358480763.964982.jpg
    Here's another shot, after a rare mid summer clean and tune up session.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Any upgrades?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^ Any upgrades?
    Just a few very minor mods at this point.....Running an S works 2.2 Purgatory on the front and a Captain Control Series 2.0 on the rear both tubeless with Stan's / Stan's valve stems. This tire combo works excellent in my neck of the woods.

Still running The original DT Swiss 520 wheel set minus the stickers and Avid brakes which seem to have gotten quieter with age!! Or I am loosing my hearing???

Thomson Elite seatpost, ODI lock on grips, Cateye wireless computer and Topeak seatpost bag, carbon fiber bottle cage, Shimano 520 pedals......That's it!

Future mods planned will include a Thomson carbon fiber bar and post and an X9 or X0 shifter upgrade and maybe a Roval carbon fiber wheel set.

Weight is right around the mid 24lb range according to the bathroom scale. Love this bike, Specialized did a great job with the factory spec and price point.

mtbr member
    I too am thinking about upgrading to the ball-bearing mechanism shifter, either X9 or XO. I agree that this is a killer bike for ~$2,000. I wish in some ways I would have gotten the carbon wheels, but the budget Roval ones for ~$1200 (not very budget to me) aren't that much lighter than the Control alloys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi all - hope you guys/gals don't mind if I join in Just got my EVO this week and boy, is this bike beautiful!!
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Hi all - hope you guys/gals don't mind if I join in Just got my EVO this week and boy, is this bike beautiful!!
    Pictures? Details?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey friends. Glad to find this thread, I just bought a 2012 stumpy evo at my lbs' clearance sale. I'll tell you, this is my first 29er ever, and my first hardtail in more than 10 years. So my first ride was...bumpy. Arkansas is a rocky land! I think I have forgotten what it's like to ride a HT.
    I'm digging the upgrades you guys have mentioned. All I have done is put my eggbeaters on.
    I'm looking to replace the saddle and seat post for comfort. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARdancingbear View Post
    Hey friends. Glad to find this thread, I just bought a 2012 stumpy evo at my lbs' clearance sale. I'll tell you, this is my first 29er ever, and my first hardtail in more than 10 years. So my first ride was...bumpy. Arkansas is a rocky land! I think I have forgotten what it's like to ride a HT.
    I'm digging the upgrades you guys have mentioned. All I have done is put my eggbeaters on.
    Welcome to the EVO world.....I am running a Thomson Elite seatpost on mine.....The standard Specialized post was replaced under warranty for me by the local bike shop after a seat bolt sheared off when the bike was fairly new. If I were to buy one right now, I would purchase a second Easton Haven carbon post......I am running one on my steel Civilian Luditte fully rigid singlespeed and it is sweet! ( 27.2 on sale at Jenson USA for $59 and change by the way ) It has some flex and really smooths out the Hartail ride.

I was using a WTB Devo seat for a while but have since changed it back to the standard Phenom that came with the bike.

I am now experimenting with a 720 wide bar and just ordered a 70 mm Thomson Elite stem.....This bike has always felt slightly "squirrelly" to me on fast, steep and rocky descents....I am a little to far forward with the original 100 mm stem.

I just replaced the original Avid "turkey gobbler" rotors with the new / updated heat shedding model design and I must say they are much quieter....switched out the 185mm with 180's and new spacers on the front.

The EVO has been a great bike, I have rolled over 2,000 miles on the ODO now with no major issues other than fit adjustments. 2011 model.....new picks to follow soon.

mtbr member
    The Niner RDO Carbon post is....MONEY. It's worth the $200 I can tell you. It is a "high-flex" post and really does move quite a bit and add comfort to the bike. Syntace also makes one that is almost the same, the P9 I believe.

mtbr member
    The Niner RDO Carbon post is....MONEY. It's worth the $200 I can tell you. It is a "high-flex" post and really does move quite a bit and add comfort to the bike. Syntace also makes one that is almost the same, the P9 I believe.
    The Haven post is much less MONEY.....And still a great post ( more money for beer and other new parts left over ) I do love my Niner carbon bar on my Luditte though.... I haven't tried the post but Niner really makes quality products. It's sunny out and 65 degrees.....I'm off for a ride! Ciao

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    The Haven post is much less MONEY.....And still a great post ( more money for beer and other new parts left over ) I do love my Niner carbon bar on my Luditte though.... I haven't tried the post but Niner really makes quality products. It's sunny out and 65 degrees.....I'm off for a ride! Ciao
    But does it have the same amount of flex designed into it? There is a cool video on the Niner site that shows how much the RDO post flexes. I am riding too....65 and sunny...time for some road miles!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Speaking if bars, I went down HARD after the wide stock bars clipped a sapling. I guess I'm gonna cut them down. Thanks for the suggestions about seat posts. I'll be checking into those! It's pouring rain in central arkansas today so no ride for me

mtbr member
    But does it have the same amount of flex designed into it? There is a cool video on the Niner site that shows how much the RDO post flexes. I am riding too....65 and sunny...time for some road miles!
    I watched the video and would have preferred the Niner post over the Easton to match the Niner flat top carbon bar but......budget is the key with the Luditte build....Both items were on sale! At 215 lbs. I also am more comfortable with the Haven and it's "all mountain" designation. It's definitely not a weight weenie carbon post...it does have a lot of flex and is well built....really a steal at $59 bucks.
    Last edited by borbntm; 03-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Speaking if bars, I went down HARD after the wide stock bars clipped a sapling. I guess I'm gonna cut them down. Thanks for the suggestions about seat posts. I'll be checking into those! It's pouring rain in central arkansas today so no ride for me
    I would wait to cut the bars down from 680 mm.....I was thinking the same at first but after a few rides I learned to like the wider bars and now I am running even wider at 720 mm...I still smack into trees occasionally but nothing serious....you will adapt to the wider bars....just like adapting from flat pedals to clip in pedals.

Also if you are riding rocky trails, you will learn to appreciate the extra leverage the wider bars provide. Just my opinion but give it some time. I am glad I did.....I have switched to wider bars on my other rides also.

Have you asked your bike shop if they would swap out your saddle and let you try out a few different widths and designs? Most shops will and Specialized has several choices.
    Last edited by borbntm; 03-10-2013 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Picked-up my 17.5 HT Alum Stumpy today! Weighed in at 25.4 with reflectors, dork disc, factory pedals, and tubes. I immediately replaced the tubes with Stan's, removed the reflectors and dork disc. I set the Fox fork with the Fox app (why don't they just put the guide #'s on the fork like Rockshox?). Weighs in at 24.12. I still need to replace the stock pedals with Candies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmajik View Post
    Picked-up my 17.5 HT Alum Stumpy today! Weighed in at 25.4 with reflectors, dork disc, factory pedals, and tubes. I immediately replaced the tubes with Stan's, removed the reflectors and dork disc. I set the Fox fork with the Fox app (why don't they just put the guide #'s on the fork like Rockshox?). Weighs in at 24.12. I still need to replace the stock pedals with Candies.
    Congrats!!

mtbr member
    what is the (1x) crank usually at on these things? I've played with the idea of going 1x on the carve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    what is the (1x) crank usually at on these things? I've played with the idea of going 1x on the carve.
    If you are questioning what size the crank is, it is 33 on the EVO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Official Stumpjumper Evo HT thread (Al and carbon)-img_3383.jpg

This is what most weekend mornings look like to me. I put my Evo and other gear in a Zipcar, and I go riding somewhere around the San Francisco Bay.

Almost everything on my 18 month old bike is still stock, which I find amazing given how many miles I've put on that thing. Nothing broken so far, and I've never even had a flat. I've gone through a set of brake pads both front and rear, and now the grips are worn down almost to the metal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bmajik View Post
    Do the stock rovals on the '13 sj evo alum ht come with tubeless ready tape or did you use stans yellow?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Specialized Roval EVO Wheels came equipped with OE tape installed. The Specialized tape, wheel, tire combo is holding air very well. I am more impressed with this combination than my Stan"s Crest, Stan's tape, and Schwable Racing Ralph combo. The weakest part is the Specialized tubeless valves. I think the Stan's valves are better than the Specialized valves that came with the EVO.

Big Boy
    Anybody with a 2013 stumpy evo HT 29 weigh the wheelset? It appears that they are the roval traverse 29 wheelset which has a listed weight of 1860 grams. Not bad for an alloy wheelset with 28mm rims. Can anybody back this up?

If this is the case I think I would be happy with the stock wheelset for once!
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    ^^^ It weighs more than that...more than 2000g. If you do some searching here you will find a few threads that have the weight listed. Keep in mind that this isn't the same as the aftermarket Traverse wheelset, it has the Specy-branded HiLo hubs.

Big Boy
    ^^^ It weighs more than that...more than 2000g. If you do some searching here you will find a few threads that have the weight listed. Keep in mind that this isn't the same as the aftermarket Traverse wheelset, it has the Specy-branded HiLo hubs.
    Well, that sounds a lot more accurate. I knew it sounded too good to be true, lol. I am still really digging this bike, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost with myself. It just seems like alot of money for a ht with heavy wheels and a 1x10 x7/x0 drivetrain. Is there something that I am missing? I can get almost any aluminum HT, and buy a chain guide and a new wheelset that is much lighter/stiffer for $2400.

What made you guys pick the stumpy over other brands?

PS the stumpy does have much better brakes than most, but this still doesn't warrant the price imo.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast