mtbr member

Official Specialized Stumpjumper Thread

Well I saw that the Camber has a thread going so lets get the ball rolling on the stumpys!

Just picked up my 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp the other day and love it!

Mods:
    70MM Thompson stem
    Straitline Platforms
    Cateye Enduro 8
    BBG bashguard

*All reflectors/warning stickers have now been removed.

Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Nice bike, erm, also pretty sure that a Stumpy thread already exists: Post your Stumpy FSR

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Can you tell me what type of riding you do? I'm an XC waffling between your bike and a Camber. I'm stumped (no pun intended). My main concern is that the extra travel would be a negative. I've never had an FS so I'm a total noob to it. I rode a HT for 11 years. Would the SJ be overkill for a single track guy? Or would it just be perfect? THanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper
    Can you tell me what type of riding you do? I'm an XC waffling between your bike and a Camber. I'm stumped (no pun intended). My main concern is that the extra travel would be a negative. I've never had an FS so I'm a total noob to it. I rode a HT for 11 years. Would the SJ be overkill for a single track guy? Or would it just be perfect? THanks!
    Depends what your single track is like. I was looking at the Camber Expert in the beginning but decided to give the SJ Comp a test ride since they were in the same price range and ended up loving it. I love the pro-pedal setting on the rear Fox shock, rarely do I go full plush.

The single tracks that I go to around here are full of roots, blame it on major corrosion this past summer. Not many drops around here other than a few 1 to 3 feet drops here and there. So far I haven't bottomed out and I'm still playing with the dual-air settings on the revelation which is awesome. The wheels have held up great at 27psi front/back with no pinch flats yet.

The SJ, is also a bit lighter than the Camber due to the difference in the M4 and M5 frame; mine came in around 27 lbs.

Depending on which model of the Camber you're looking at, the SJ Comp has all the goodies already and you shouldn't have much of an urge to upgrade anything other than comfort items (e.g. grips, seat, and pedals).

One thing you have to remember is that the SJ uses a proprietary rear shocked manufactured by Fox specifically for Specialized. It uses a different type of bolt mount to the pivot arm, so you will have less of a variety to upgrade.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That is interesting because I too was looking at the Camber Expert. Most of the trails around here are flat to rolling with roots and erosion everywhere. I don't jump much at all. I want a nice comfortable bike I can ride in XC races but still enjoy on those really long days. I don't win races but I do like to mix it up and have fun. I have no access to a Stumpy or I would simply ride one. I did see and ride a Camber. Felt great as I'vee never ridden any FS before. The stumpy looks way better in my opinion. I had this image of riding a bike with 140 travel and feeling disconnected to the trail due to the super plush ride. Again, I have no experience with FS so I may be completely backwards on this. My hard tail beat me to death when I tried to go fast, so I definitely want FS and 29er isn't for me. Were you able to ride both bikes? If so, was it a dramatic difference between the two suspension wise? Did they feel much different from the cockpit? I appreciate your feedback. Whatever I get I will ride for years so I want to get the best bike for me. Stinks we don't have any demo bikes around here so getting all the feedback I can is the next best thing.

Is it Friday yet?
    I have a Camber Comp. I used to have a SJ Expert. I miss the SJ, pro-pedal, and more float. The Camber Comp was much cheaper, so I don't regret my purchase, but it's either wide open, or locked. Even wide open, it feels stiffer. Some people may prefer that, but I prefer the feeling of limitless travel. I test rode a Fuel EX 7 and it had that feeling, so I blame it on the Ario. I have a Size L Camber with cheap SPD's on it and nothing else. It weighs in at a whopping 32 pounds.

Still, a very nice bike for $1,500, but I do not like the rear shock.

mtbr member
    I am also looking at the camber comp and the stumpy comp. I think I will get the stumpy. It felt more agile and tighter than the camber. The camber is a great price point but the way I figure it I would probably want to upgrade the camber if I bought it and the upgrades would probably bring it up to the price of the stumpy. I like the fact that the stumpy has pro pedal which I like and a better component set. Although I feel the camber is great value for the money, I think I will pay extra and get the stumpy. I also like the idea of the extra travel which is there if I need it. Also the lighter weight and pro pedal should make it climb easier.

mtbr member
    That is interesting because I too was looking at the Camber Expert. Most of the trails around here are flat to rolling with roots and erosion everywhere. I don't jump much at all. I want a nice comfortable bike I can ride in XC races but still enjoy on those really long days. I don't win races but I do like to mix it up and have fun. I have no access to a Stumpy or I would simply ride one. I did see and ride a Camber. Felt great as I'vee never ridden any FS before. The stumpy looks way better in my opinion. I had this image of riding a bike with 140 travel and feeling disconnected to the trail due to the super plush ride. Again, I have no experience with FS so I may be completely backwards on this. My hard tail beat me to death when I tried to go fast, so I definitely want FS and 29er isn't for me. Were you able to ride both bikes? If so, was it a dramatic difference between the two suspension wise? Did they feel much different from the cockpit? I appreciate your feedback. Whatever I get I will ride for years so I want to get the best bike for me. Stinks we don't have any demo bikes around here so getting all the feedback I can is the next best thing.
    I was able to ride both bikes, though it was just the Camber Comp and not the Expert. I wasn't able to take it to any actual trails to test, but rather a empty construction site next to the LBS.

I didn't feel much of a difference since I wasn't able to push either bikes to the limits, but the pro-pedal mode on the SJ really made a difference. Both bikes are wonderful with climbs, but again, the SJ trumps with the pro-pedal mode.

I didn't notice much, if any, difference in geometry while test riding. The Revelation fork was MUCH better than the Recon on the Camber Comp, I would assume it would apply the same to the Reba on the Expert since it is a Turn-key damper.

I'm surprised your LBS isn't willing to order the SJ for you even if you're not positively sure your going to buy it. I bought my road bikes via the same LBS and they ordered both sizes and models for my girlfriend since she was indecisive on the colors.

What price quotes are you getting from your LBS? I was able to negotiate my price down to $1550+tax; paying cash also helps in negotiation.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_matt
    Nice bike, erm, also pretty sure that a Stumpy thread already exists: Post your Stumpy FSR
    that's great for FSR owners, what about a Stumpy Hardtail thread? And not the 1985 M2 style either. You can't tell me I"m the only one with a newer up to date Stumpy HT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That is an incredible price! 1550.00 for a 2011 FSR Stumpjumper. My LBS is only down to 2200.00 from 2400.00! Did you have a trade in too? That has to be the best deal I have heard of. I'm starting to lean Stumpy. Heck I guess they are both great bikes. Right now I don't have anything so when I get one, I'm going to be riding a lot!

mtbr member
    That is an incredible price! 1550.00 for a 2011 FSR Stumpjumper. My LBS is only down to 2200.00 from 2400.00! Did you have a trade in too? That has to be the best deal I have heard of. I'm starting to lean Stumpy. Heck I guess they are both great bikes. Right now I don't have anything so when I get one, I'm going to be riding a lot!
    Nope no trade ins. Heard about the LBS from another member here who got his Camber Comp for $1450.

I also purchased two road bikes as well: '11 Specialized Roubaix Comp Rival and Ruby Comp Compact at $1750 each both retails at $2600 each.

This is a small time bike shop that's been open since the 40s (well they use to sell bowling gear). The guy that runs it works 7 days a week and his family owns it, so basically all price negotiations are through him.

You should be able to do a lot better than $2200 for the SJ. Bike Barn, a corporate company, sells it for $2100. On top of that, I am basically getting 25% off all accessories as well.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    You were able to get the Stumpjumper Comp for $1550. That is an amazing price. My lbs is selling the Camber for $1550.What part of the country are you in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmil4901
    You were able to get the Stumpjumper Comp for $1550. That is an amazing price. My lbs is selling the Camber for $1550.What part of the country are you in?
    Houston, TX
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is $1550 that different from cost for the dealer? I was told specialized frowns on this kind of pricing on new models because it essentially screws every other bike shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stewfish1
    Is $1550 that different from cost for the dealer? I was told specialized frowns on this kind of pricing on new models because it essentially screws every other bike shop.
    I forgot what the dealer cost was, though he did let me stand right behind him while he browsed through his dealer site via Specialized.

He's a tell no tale type of bike shop. If you're not price shopping (trying to price match) at other LBS, then he is willing to give you a lower price. He doesn't stock much on hand either, so that keeps his cost down quite a bit.

Initially he offered the price of $1750, then I was able to talk him down to $1600 being that I still had 2 road bikes on order via Specialized since they were on back-order, and he knocked another $50 off since I paid in cash saving him 3% fee, so that brought it to $1550+tax.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well congrats on the deal, that is a crazy price drop! There might be a lot of people going to houston to buy some specialized bikes soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    OK I've figured it out. First off, I will never make fun of my wife for taking a long time to pick out shoes again. The only thing that I am scared of on the Stumpy is the extra travel. That it. All else being equal, that is the bike I want, but fear the extra travel will make it ride weird compared to a Camber. I give anyone permission to tell me I'm crazy, and tell me to go ahead with either one based on your opinions. I ran the main trail I ride today and kept trying to imagine riding over the various roots on each bike. A virtual test ride I guess. Then I hit a root and wiped out. No damage other than looking pretty stupid falling on an otherwise flat section of trail! Anyway, 120 vs. 140. Who knew it would keep me up at night? Must be OCD or something. I need to ride soon!

mtbr member
    OK I've figured it out. First off, I will never make fun of my wife for taking a long time to pick out shoes again. The only thing that I am scared of on the Stumpy is the extra travel. That it. All else being equal, that is the bike I want, but fear the extra travel will make it ride weird compared to a Camber. I give anyone permission to tell me I'm crazy, and tell me to go ahead with either one based on your opinions. I ran the main trail I ride today and kept trying to imagine riding over the various roots on each bike. A virtual test ride I guess. Then I hit a root and wiped out. No damage other than looking pretty stupid falling on an otherwise flat section of trail! Anyway, 120 vs. 140. Who knew it would keep me up at night? Must be OCD or something. I need to ride soon!
    Get the Stumpy and call it a day. I went from a 100MM to 140MM and it was a great transition. I could have settled with the 100MM since I never bottomed it out, but the Stumpy is just that much more capable. With the dual-air Revelation fork, you can dial in the settings to get the maximum travel.
    Current Ride:

Is it Friday yet?
    3/4 of an inch does not make that much difference. The rear shock does though, and if prices were equal, I would say go with the one with ProPedal.