Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Enduro Thread

681K views 2K replies 441 participants last post by  MTBiker2477 
#1 ·
Hi, like the title says, please post your Enduro pictures and build specs! I know there's a 2010 Enduro thread but lets just include every model year in this...

I'll Start,

2011 Specialized Enduro Expert Frame - the only stock item on this bike. Built from the frame up with:
1. Rock Shox Lyrik 2 step 160mm travel with DH damper and Maxle.

2. Monarch Plus Rear Shock - PUSH'ed

3. Mavic 819's laced to King Hubs w/DT Swiss Comp double-butted spokes, alloy nipples. Rear hub w/Fun Bolts

4. XO Shifters and XO Rear Derailleur.

5. Race Face Atlas 175 Crankset with e13 chain guide, bash guard and RF Crank End Caps.

6. Chris King serviceable Bottom Bracket.

7. Cane Creek 110 headset.

8. Thompson Elite seatpost & Specialized Henge 143 saddle.

9. Maxxis Minion EXO 3C 2.5 DHF tires - tubeless.

10. Wipperman Connex chain and SRAM 990 11-34 cassette

11. Syncros Bar - 720mm width/1.5" rise and 60mm/8 degree rise stem.

12. Formula the One Brakeset, 180mm rotors, and Calipers w/Goodridge G* pads

13. Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals.

32 pounds as shown.:cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#1,350 ·
In one of the Stumpjumper 2016 threads, I saw a statement that the SJ FSR 2016 will be presented at Dirt Fest this weekend and all 2016 models will be shown at demo events over the next weeks.

Not sure if they will present all '16 models at one event, as that takes away the attention from the big redesigns. But it would absolutely make sense for Specialized to bring 2016 models earlier, since the 2015 650B models have been considered somewhat rushed.

#1,353 ·
I was thinking the same thing. That maybe they would make the HA slacker in the Enduro also but on the other side the Enduro 29 had been around for only 2 years so I don't know if they will proceed with geometry changes that soon.

Does anyone know when are the rest of the bikes including Enduro expected to be unveiled?

#1,354 ·
I just called the local Specialized dealer and asked him about any expected changes to the Enduro 2016 line since I have placed an order for the 2015 model a week ago. What he told me was that when he visited Specialized in US some weeks ago in order to get an update on the 2016 lines the Enduro line will remain more or less the same without any changes in geometry etc.

Personally I don't trust dealers that much especially when I have an order already in place but this is what he told me and this is what I am telling you.

If anyone knows something different please write it here or send me a pm so I will cancel the order and wait for the 2016 model. No details are needed, just a heads up.

Thank you in advance.

#1,375 ·
2016 Specialized

I just called the local Specialized dealer and asked him about any expected changes to the Enduro 2016 line since I have placed an order for the 2015 model a week ago. What he told me was that when he visited Specialized in US some weeks ago in order to get an update on the 2016 lines the Enduro line will remain more or less the same without any changes in geometry etc.

Personally I don't trust dealers that much especially when I have an order already in place but this is what he told me and this is what I am telling you.

If anyone knows something different please write it here or send me a pm so I will cancel the order and wait for the 2016 model. No details are needed, just a heads up.

Thank you in advance.
I have a friend who works at a Spesh dealer
He said that when he was with the Spesh rep at Sea Otter
He asked them the same question
Enduro =No design changes only colors and bits
Camber=650b option
Stumpy=Redesign
Also all Spesh trail bikes are now Evo, No more Evo designation

#1,355 ·
The new SJ FSR isn't exciting to me when I already own an E29. I'm wanting one of the Ohlins shocks that Mitch has been running. Air shocks aren't doing it for me. The CCDB Inline and its spring rate curve really hasn't improved much over the stock Performance level CTD. Weight's becoming an issue, with it already over 28 lbs (Expert Carbon) and my wants pushing it to 29.

#1,356 ·
Can someone who owns an Enduro 29 do me a big favor and measure the actual bottom bracket height on it real quick? I'm planning to order one soon but the BB height is one of the most important factors in my decision and I've heard anything from 335-352 mm which is a big variance so I have no clue what it really is and the shop doesn't have any in stock to check. :/

And if you don't know, BB height is measured from level ground to center of BB. :)

#1,358 ·
I get about 338 sitting on stock tires with the 160mm pike. If you have wide pedals you are going to dig them from time to time leaning the bike hard over. 3At least 40ish is probably closer with newer tires and then bigger tires would be higher. This is in no way a "high BB bike" IME.

#1,359 · (Edited)
Thank you guys! Is there really that much difference based on the tires you choose? And also, I heard that with the Fattie rims (29mm inner width), if you go with a larger tire, it might rub the inside of the chainstay. Have you guys had an issue with that? I'm planning to run the Schwalbe Rock Razor in the rear.

With my current bike, the Giant Trance 27.5, I constantly hit the ground with my pedals or cranks and it drives me crazy! I always fear when I have to start pedaling and try to pay extra attention to what I might hit on the ground. I don't want to worry so much about that anymore. The Trance measured 335 mm for me. So only 338 on the Enduro 29 would concern me with the extra travel/sag, but 350 would be fine. Hmm...

#1,360 ·
There's a lot of clearance back there, you'd have to go with a pretty big tire. I think 40mm rims are probably out of the question with a bigger tire, but 30 and 35 should be no problem with a 2.5. Obviously as you go to a bigger rim, you don't need as big a tire. The bike looks like it was designed with 2.5s in mind back there.

#1,362 ·
Hi. As I am waiting for my E29 to be delivered I am trying to decide what dropper post I should get.

First of all should I even consider the Specialized one? I like the setback feature but what about its function and reliability?

Next option is the RS Reverb that I had in my previous bike and worked without any issues but I really don't lime the cable hanging and as far as I understand the stealth one doesn't fit in the existing downtube hole without opening the hole a little bit bigger.

Based on my research the KS Lev seems to be the best option but my main condos the lack of setback that could be an issue when I want to set my saddle position since the Specialized geometry numbers include the setback length to the effective top tube numbers.

So what is your opinion or your actual experience? Which one is better?

#1,363 ·
Hi. As I am waiting for my E29 to be delivered I am trying to decide what dropper post I should get.
Had a Reverb on previous bike, now I'm riding a '15 E29 with a Command Post IR. I liked the Reverb a lot, but I prefer the Command Post,

- Nicer lever design imo (just like a shifter on my OEM model)
- Prefer the faster return speed
- Prefer three fixed positions to infinite adjustability.

#1,366 ·
If it is possible please send it to me in a pm. I have ordered the Comp so there is no dropper included. I will first ride it a little with the regular post to see if I need the offset and if I do then the command post will be my choice. If I don't need it I will have to think it a little bit more.

Thank you guys.

#1,373 ·
Thanks for the link. To summarize, the main difference with a Reverb is the larger diameter hydraulic cable hose vs. the shift housing cable for the Command Post IR. The question is whether it will run through the existing downtube hole intended for the Command Post w/o needing to enlarge the hole, and from that linked post it sounds like you don't need to enlarge that hole. You do need the 4-cable version of the "bats" though as opposed to the 3-cable ones provided with the bike (even if you have no front derailleur), because the extra slot in the 4-cable version accommodates the larger diameter of the hydraulic hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.