Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Official Specialized Enduro Thread

681K views 2K replies 441 participants last post by  MTBiker2477 
#1 ·
Hi, like the title says, please post your Enduro pictures and build specs! I know there's a 2010 Enduro thread but lets just include every model year in this...

I'll Start,

2011 Specialized Enduro Expert Frame - the only stock item on this bike. Built from the frame up with:
1. Rock Shox Lyrik 2 step 160mm travel with DH damper and Maxle.

2. Monarch Plus Rear Shock - PUSH'ed

3. Mavic 819's laced to King Hubs w/DT Swiss Comp double-butted spokes, alloy nipples. Rear hub w/Fun Bolts

4. XO Shifters and XO Rear Derailleur.

5. Race Face Atlas 175 Crankset with e13 chain guide, bash guard and RF Crank End Caps.

6. Chris King serviceable Bottom Bracket.

7. Cane Creek 110 headset.

8. Thompson Elite seatpost & Specialized Henge 143 saddle.

9. Maxxis Minion EXO 3C 2.5 DHF tires - tubeless.

10. Wipperman Connex chain and SRAM 990 11-34 cassette

11. Syncros Bar - 720mm width/1.5" rise and 60mm/8 degree rise stem.

12. Formula the One Brakeset, 180mm rotors, and Calipers w/Goodridge G* pads

13. Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals.

32 pounds as shown.:cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#231 ·
Came back from my LBS where I tested a Large '11 Evo Expert.
Was quite disappointed TBH, felt surprisingly heavy compared to my bigger XL Comp, hated the Command post, wasn't too impressed with the suspension and didn't feel any difference compared to my Comp other than the extra weight.
It was a shame the shock had a too "heavy" spring so it didn't nearly move at all with my featherweight body (73kg), so I didn't get everything out of it and didn't get a proper idea of the feel of the shock.
Was surprised I didn't like the feel of the Van up front either, even though it was set up right for me.
Only thing I missed on my bike was the wider bar (750 vs 720), but luckily that shouldn't be a too expensive upgrade. Might go for 780 while I'm at it and cut it bit by bit to the perfect length.

So, came to the conclusion that I'll leave my air shock on (at least for a while) and start saving for a DH rig instead and leave my Enduro pretty much as it is ATM.

Nice bike Racing Ralph! Pretty impressive weight and nice components!

#235 ·
So today i picked up a 2012 Marzocchi 66CR for my enduro. it is only a slight difference from my lyrik and a 1/2" more travel. i know that many will ask or say why, but i really like the feel of a coil fork over the air. ==SPAM== so if any one is looking for a slightly used RockShox Lyrik solo air with a motion control dh upgrade, drop me a PM ==SPAM==

#239 ·
My 2011 Enduro Pro

All right guys, my rig is ready. Too bad my first ride was under a thunderstorm today! You'll see the before and after. :eekster:

I will be adding a Manitou Swinger Coil SPV 4-Way. Will keep you posted. :D

I had an issue with the front derailleur setting it up with the Race Face Turbine 24/26/Bash. The specs say the FD is SRAM X7 10 sp S1 direct mount for DMD, but when I bought it the S1 mounting holes didn't work. I figured that it has to be S3, so I went and drilled a 5 mm hole in the mounting plate with the right angle at exactly 22.7 mm from the far right mounting hole. Adding two 2.5 mm spacers to the bottom bracket and 2x1 mm spacers to the crank spindle I managed to get the shifting right. I am writing this down in case some one might need it.

Attachments

#244 ·
SRAM X7 Front Derailleur

Guys, can I ask any of you to make a good deed for the day and share with me a picture of any SRAM front derailleur on your Enduro? I am interested on how is mounted to the frame. Might be a tricky shot but possible.

Will very much appreciate it and for the sake of the thread you might PM me.

P

#245 ·
Guys, can I ask any of you to make a good deed for the day and share with me a picture of any SRAM front derailleur on your Enduro? I am interested on how is mounted to the frame. Might be a tricky shot but possible.

Will very much appreciate it and for the sake of the thread you might PM me.

P
I'd suggest you convert it to 1x10 instead, or do you actually use the granny ring anywhere? We've got big hills over here but have had no problems with climbing even though I've got a rather big ring, 36t, in front.
Here's a pic of too. If you're not in to changing it then sorry for the offtopic :p

Attachments

#247 ·
I know this htread is meant to be about shiny new Enduro's however...

Does anyone have any experience with broken Enduro SL's, I just posted a thread about the downtube on my S-Works SL cracking
http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/08-s-works-enduro-sl-crack-downtube-795783.html

And wanted to know if anyone else has had anything similar on the carbon and if so how did Specialized deal with it...

Cheers for you help in advance.

#250 ·
Am wondering how to save some weight on my Enduro 2011 :p
Currently it is about 13.8 kg / 30.4lbs .... Had replaced the command post with standard Thomson Seat post

This is my plan
1. Carbon handlebar (CB iodine 740)
2. The chinese Carbon rim with AM hub ( Need to save more $$)
3. Trim my seat post

Any more suggestion ?

#251 ·
Am wondering how to save some weight on my Enduro 2011 :p
Currently it is about 13.8 kg / 30.4lbs .... Had replaced the command post with standard Thomson Seat post

This is my plan
1. Carbon handlebar (CB iodine 740)
2. The chinese Carbon rim with AM hub ( Need to save more $$)
3. Trim my seat post

Any more suggestion ?
What you've written is basically where you want to start. Also look into your pedals if you're using platforms, you could easily save a pound if they are heavy.

Trim the seat post, then get the handlebar and save up for the rims. Not really any other area where you would save noticeable weight for the money. Sram has composite cranks, but I don't think they are that much lighter for the money. Look into some cranks and check out how much weight you'd be saving and how much money you have to put out for it.

#265 ·
JaMMu76
Yeah thats definitely a sick build. Good to hear, I'm contemplating going with DHFs in the front. I have to test ride a bike with them in the front and rear for trail riding, but I know on DH bikes its the latest rave right now.
Tire combo I'm thinking about going with:
Front: Specialized Clutch
Rear: Specialized Captain
or
Front: Minion DHF
Rear: don't know yet.

jojotherider
I've read from others that they don't roll well as a rear tire. They grip great and all but just don't roll well. But I haven't physically tried the minions on the rear myself, just internet speculation from what I've read. Now in the front... one of the best if you know how to ride.

#266 ·
I just picked up a set of crossmax sx wheels that have Minion DHF/DHR. Maybe i'll be able to tell a difference. I doubt it. :|

I'm really excited about the Crossmax wheels though. I'll be saving 700grams over my current MTX wheelset. the MTX wheels are certainly burly but they come with a hefty weight penalty. Granted, these are the only wheelset I've ever known, I'm actually worried i'm not going to like the Crossmax set. They look really narrow and i'm not sure how that's going to feel. It almost looks like the internal width of the MTX set is as wide as the external width of the Crossmax.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can test them out until Sunday. Work and life are getting in the way today and tomorrow. :(

-joel

#270 ·
Ok got a chance to ride with my new wheel set and I like it a lot!

I think climbing was better. Couldn't tell if it was just mental or actually better. Suffice it to say, I wasn't as winded after the climbs. Acceleration was also better. Not sure if thats due to the savings in wheel weight or using the dhr out back. I'd put more money on that it was the lighter wheels.

Cornering was also different. I felt like i was railing corners a little better also. I think this is attributed to the difference in tire profile from the narrower rims. The profile is rounder than im uses to so i had to get leaned over more in the corners. This turned into more speed for me in the corners which was lots of fun .

I

#274 ·
Ok got a chance to ride with my new wheel set and I like it a lot!

I think climbing was better. Couldn't tell if it was just mental or actually better. Suffice it to say, I wasn't as winded after the climbs. Acceleration was also better. Not sure if thats due to the savings in wheel weight or using the dhr out back. I'd put more money on that it was the lighter wheels.

Cornering was also different. I felt like i was railing corners a little better also. I think this is attributed to the difference in tire profile from the narrower rims. The profile is rounder than im uses to so i had to get leaned over more in the corners. This turned into more speed for me in the corners which was lots of fun .

I
Sounds good. Yeah my Nevegals are not cutting it for me. Can't stand them, I've cut every other transitional knob off and it did help a lot but still not what I'm looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.