Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 2170
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Heres a neat video that inspires me (Matt Hunter) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZzPkFUZyc
    Hes riding the S works enduro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Regarding the after market Monarch Plus Debonair I have asked Sram and they told be that it is specifically tuned for the E29 with all the volume reducers etc so by removing them most probably you are ruining its tune.

Having said that I run both my Pike and Monarch quite stiff with slow rebound and it is great.
    Hmm... I could try adding some back in but it was definitely way too stiff with all 9 of them in. Even with about 40% sag and all of them out, it takes a lot to bottom out. So I don't know. Compared to the basic Fox shock on my Trance 27.5, I was able to fairly easily tune that to be very plush and stable yet fully supportive. I was hoping to at least get it to feel comparably to that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I tried different settings with much lower psi before settling for this theoretically stiffer setup but I had much brake diving and pedal bobbing. So I kept increasing the psi and I was really surprised that I liked the stiffer setup more but I think that combined with the big wheels and the fact that both fork and shock ride higher in their travel it is more efficient without losing its suppleness.

I do however run quite slow rebound due to the high psi but without packing down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So the new models are back up on the Specialized web site and one description they've added for the new Ohlins shock is as follows:

"The custom Öhlins single tube air shock at the rear features high- and low-speed compression, as well as low-speed rebound. You'll also find an extra-volume reservoir that allows for more oil, which results in more control and an ultra-plush ride quality."

The extra oil volume reservoir sounds interesting. I wonder how exactly you go about adjusting that and if you have to buy extra oil for it. If this shock really is comparable to the coil shock then it should be just what I've been wanting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    The extra oil volume reservoir sounds interesting. I wonder how exactly you go about adjusting that and if you have to buy extra oil for it. If this shock really is comparable to the coil shock then it should be just what I've been wanting.
    I don't think any air shocks get near coil. Air is convenient, light and works. But I think coil is superior for grip. Sure you have to get the right spring, but that's not that hard. Still, interesting nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    I don't think any air shocks get near coil. Air is convenient, light and works. But I think coil is superior for grip. Sure you have to get the right spring, but that's not that hard. Still, interesting nonetheless.
    For sure, nothing compares to coil for that. How do you like your Ohlins? Do you feel the extra weight? Anything you don't like? Is it really plush?

mtbr member
    I don't notice the weight, it's about 600g heavier than the Monarch Plus. It basically feels like a DH bike, you get on and you forget about the back of the bike. All you hear is the tire thawping into the ground, feel nothing through the pedals. The low speed has quite a wide range, so open it's very sensitive and there's a lot of bob (when I look down), and all the way closed it's quite firm. So unless I'm doing a sustained climb I'll probably leave it.
    As for weight, well my Camelbak will probably weigh at least 2.5kg, and my last ride I had my lights in my pack! So no, I don't notice.
    But it does make an odd wheezing noise, or almost a scraping sound on slow compressions, IE grinding uphill in a low gear. Someone else on here mentioned it. I can't hear anything at normal speeds. They're a bit thin on the ground, so it's hard to find much info on them obviously only fitting on a couple of bikes.
    I didn't like the price much either! Had to sell a nice putter. Is it life changing? No way, would others notice aside from the fact it's bright yellow, maybe.
    Suspension is so subjective but I reckon most people on here would notice the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't notice the weight, it's about 600g heavier than the Monarch Plus. It basically feels like a DH bike, you get on and you forget about the back of the bike. All you hear is the tire thawping into the ground, feel nothing through the pedals. The low speed has quite a wide range, so open it's very sensitive and there's a lot of bob (when I look down), and all the way closed it's quite firm. So unless I'm doing a sustained climb I'll probably leave it.
    As for weight, well my Camelbak will probably weigh at least 2.5kg, and my last ride I had my lights in my pack! So no, I don't notice.
    But it does make an odd wheezing noise, or almost a scraping sound on slow compressions, IE grinding uphill in a low gear. Someone else on here mentioned it. I can't hear anything at normal speeds. They're a bit thin on the ground, so it's hard to find much info on them obviously only fitting on a couple of bikes.
    I didn't like the price much either! Had to sell a nice putter. Is it life changing? No way, would others notice aside from the fact it's bright yellow, maybe.
    Suspension is so subjective but I reckon most people on here would notice the difference.
    Nice. Yeah, I want the rear to pretty much disappear like that. I actually have that scraping noise now. I kind of think it may be the upper link or something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So what all did it take to get and install the Ohlins? Did you order it from a Specialized dealer? Is there a particular kit for the Enduro 29? Is there anything special you have to do to install it?

mtbr member
    So what all did it take to get and install the Ohlins? Did you order it from a Specialized dealer? Is there a particular kit for the Enduro 29? Is there anything special you have to do to install it?
    As far as I'm aware you can only get it through Specialized. I even went to the Ohlins distributor in New Zealand to ask and the guy in there laughed. Specialized has it locked up pretty tight.
    It's just like any other shock change. Undo the top bolt, and the two bolts for the yoke and take it out in one piece. Then undo the other end of the shock to detach it from the yoke.
    There is a bit more info here including the part number you would need.
    Ohlins TTX Build Quality- Mtbr.com

Thought it was easier to have it one place so people can search.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As far as I'm aware you can only get it through Specialized. I even went to the Ohlins distributor in New Zealand to ask and the guy in there laughed. Specialized has it locked up pretty tight.
    It's just like any other shock change. Undo the top bolt, and the two bolts for the yoke and take it out in one piece. Then undo the other end of the shock to detach it from the yoke.
    There is a bit more info here including the part number you would need.
    Ohlins TTX Build Quality- Mtbr.com

Thought it was easier to have it one place so people can search.
    Ah, there we go. Thanks for that info. Does the shock include the revised yoke for it?

mtbr member
    Ah, there we go. Thanks for that info. Does the shock include the revised yoke for it?
    The yoke doesn't need to be changed. It will bolt straight in! I'd still play with your Debonair first. Try with autosag, then without. Try a bit less sag, round 20-25%, but again, don't get hung up on the %. Make sure it feels balanced with the fork. Jump up and down, rock back and forth. Does the bike feel like it reacts the same?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just posted a thread asking about dropper post upgrades for the 2015 Enduro Elite 29, then saw that this thread here might have been the right place. Anyway, maybe somebody could drop some hints in the other thread?

Upgrade 2015 Enduro 29 with longer dropper post?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe somebody here experience in upgrading an 2015 Enduro Elite 29 to a 150+ mm dropper post?

Posted some questions here: Upgrade 2015 Enduro 29 with longer dropper post?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi

I just bought a second hand Spesh enduro 650B and need to replace the lower headset. Would anyone know what bearing I need.

I think it is IS52/40(45°)

I think this cane creek model will do the trick but it's quite pricey. I also need the crown race which limits my options.

Cane Creek 40-Series IS52-40 Bottom Assembly | Chain Reaction Cycles

Cheers

mtbr member
    Clearance is fine, I checked before I put the spring on. Yeah taking them off is annoying. If you get bored maybe just measure the whole lot? We've got the same shock so it would be interesting to see how much under the 975g the Ti spring brings it.
    Here ya go:

750g, so dropping about 1/2 lb vs. yours. Probably a little more since mine is equivalent to the 480lb spring which is a tad heavier than what you have. This is the Beta-C Ti, so might not drop as much depending on where you get the spring etc.

The longer length of your spring would be annoying. You're essentially running a whole lot of preload? How much sag do you get and is there any chance the coils could bind?
    No, actually there is just barely enough room for the spring - the problem is getting the spring clip at the rebound end in place. You know how once that clip is in place, you have a little extra room as the spring slides onto the clip? So I have to pre-compress the spring to get the clip in place, but once that's done I can un-compress the spring, and I still have a few mm for the preload adjuster where there's no preload. I run it with very little preload, about 1.5 turns. The sag is "normal", whatever that was (been a while since I measured it; I set it up to basically match what I had for the CCDB that was on there previously). Here's a pic of the preload end:

I don't actually know what frame differences are between the E26 Comp and Evo.
    If you bring up the following pages in a couple tabs, you can tab between them and pick out some differences:

Regular Enduro 26 aluminum
    Enduro Expert Evo 26

One thing is the S-link is quite different. I wouldn't be surprised if it has some affect on the leverage curve and makes it a better match for a coil.

Still it's interesting that the longer Evo shock fits fine on a regular non-Evo 26'er. Seems like if the eye-to-eye is the same, then it shouldn't change the geometry, just gives you more travel.

This is a great description of the feel of this shock:

All you hear is the tire thawping into the ground, feel nothing through the pedals.
    "Thwaping" - that is exactly the sound I hear, which I love!

One thing that's nice about this shock is that you can tweak it on the fly for climbing. The LSC knob is positioned such that you can just reach down while pedaling and adjust it. I run mine all the way in for fire road climbs, 4 clicks out for rolling singletrack, 4 more clicks out for DH.

But it does make an odd wheezing noise, or almost a scraping sound on slow compressions, IE grinding uphill in a low gear. Someone else on here mentioned it. I can't hear anything at normal speeds.
    With the Ohlins, it's like a "breathing" noise on slow cycling of the shock. It is different from any other shock. It is normal for this shock (happens on every other Ohlins shock I've checked on either Enduro or Demo) but wouldn't be normal for other shocks. I thought it would bug the crap out of me since weird noises drive me nuts, but I don't notice it all when actually riding. The Fox 36 up front makes more noise.

I actually have that scraping noise now. I kind of think it may be the upper link or something.
    That would be something different and definitely not right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Here ya go:
    Ah nice work! So it's actually a pretty big saving.
    My spring is 503g vs yours at 278g. And given that yours is a bit longer than required you've probably got an extra coil on it.

The scraping noise has gone, I wonder if it was something bedding in. I've played with the low speed a bit, it has quite a wide range as you've mentioned and it is quite easy to reach without looking.

Thanks for the PM. I'm in New Zealand, so I'll look at getting another spring here.

mtbr member
    Ah nice work! So it's actually a pretty big saving.
    Yeah in my case it was. Again YMMV depending on the exact material for the spring etc.

My spring is 503g vs yours at 278g.
    The savings was even a bit more in my case, because my original 480 lb spring is 550g.

And given that yours is a bit longer than required you've probably got an extra coil on it.
    Certainly not a full coil, but definitely 10mm or so (mess-up on the manufacturing end). Not sure how much that would save, but some.

The scraping noise has gone, I wonder if it was something bedding in.
    Weird. Must be a different noise than the "breathing" noise I'm talking about. Every one I've tried makes the same breathing noise (also according to more than one shop owner).

I've played with the low speed a bit, it has quite a wide range as you've mentioned and it is quite easy to reach without looking.
    Yeah it actually makes a significant difference on longer climbs. I'm actually thinking about modifying the LSC cap with a bolt sticking out, to make it easier to turn and know exactly where you are. It's a little tough sometimes to feel the clicks when you turn it while riding.

Thanks for the PM. I'm in New Zealand, so I'll look at getting another spring here.
    Cool, good luck. Lemme know if don't get anywhere.

mtbr member
    Gave the Enduro Evo a proper beatdown at Northstar/Martis/Graegle/Downieville/Toads this past weekend, and it killed it! Still loving this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Yeah it actually makes a significant difference on longer climbs. I'm actually thinking about modifying the LSC cap with a bolt sticking out, to make it easier to turn and know exactly where you are. It's a little tough sometimes to feel the clicks when you turn it while riding.
    I ended up making this mod this past weekend. Drilled/tapped a small hole in the LSC knob, then cut off then end of a small allen bolt to put in there. Works great, it's really easy now to know exactly what I'm set to when adjusting the knob on the fly. It's like having CTD that actually works! For climbing fire roads, I have the LSC cranked all the way in, and the allen bolt is vertical (12 o'clock). Each rotation of the knob is exactly 6 clicks. For rolling singletrack, I back it out 4 clicks so the knob is now at 4 o'clock; for DH 4 more clicks, so the knob is at 8 o'clock.

I am Specialized
    Hello from very sunny and warm 35C, Athens, Greece!
    Breaking in the new RS Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-enduro650b-2.jpg

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-enduro650b-3.jpg

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-enduro650b-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Such a great bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    JimW- that is a pretty slick modification you made to your dial. Looks clean and effective. Thanks for sharing that with us
    Last edited by loopsb; 09-20-2015 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Hello from very sunny and warm 35C, Athens, Greece!
    Breaking in the new RS Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
    Nice, I think I would melt above 30C. Are you coming off the CTD rear shock?

I am Specialized
    Yes indeed, monarch feels much more composed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i am awaiting my 3rd db inline shock for my 2015 27.5 enduro carbon. the 1st 2 failed quickly. What are my best options for another shock that easily fits if this 3rd one fails? any cane creek options?

thanks!

I am Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by gosts View Post
    i am awaiting my 3rd db inline shock for my 2015 27.5 enduro carbon. the 1st 2 failed quickly. What are my best options for another shock that easily fits if this 3rd one fails? any cane creek options?

thanks!
    For air shocks you could try CC DB AIR CS or RS Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair or the (untested yet) Ohlins STX22 which comes with the top 2016 enduro versions.
    For coil, options are more limited to Ohlins TTX22M, and the PUSH 11-6 (190lbs weight limit). Or maybe even an older Fox Van R, if there are any at 216x57mm.
    Some sponsored athletes have also fitted Fox Float X, RS Vivid Air, BOS Kirk but I don't know how feasible this is for us normal folk... (unless you know the right people )
    Last edited by tp806; 09-20-2015 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For air shocks you could try CC DB AIR CS or RS Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair or the (untested yet) Ohlins STX22 which comes with the top 2016 enduro versions.
    For coil, options are more limited to Ohlins TTX22M, and the PUSH 11-6 (190lbs weight limit). Or maybe even an older Fox Van R, if there are any at 216x57mm.
    Some sponsored athletes have also fitted Fox Float X, RS Vivid Air, BOS Kirk but I don't know how feasible this is for us normal folk... (unless you know the right people )
    I think there is another thread in here that said Avalanche could do a Woody or Chuby for the Enduros.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Boost fattie wheel and 28.5x3 tire fit!

Tomorrow I get to demo a new 6 fattie 27.5 stumpy thanks to LTD Cycleworx. Since it's in my garage tonight I figured I'd check it out.

Well guess what, the rear wheel fits in my 2014 E29. I was a little shocked that the boost rear hub fits my drop outs perfectly. I mean much better than the loose fit on my 142mm DT rear hub. With my hub I have to tighten the thru axle for the dropouts to contact the rear hub. Meanwhile the boost hub fits in like the frame was made for it! If I were in the market for a new rear wheel I'd put a boost hub in there for sure.

Well the whole reason I tried to fit the wheel in there in the first place was to see if the 27.5x3.0 rear tire would fit in the frame. It does fit but there isn't much clearance. There's 5mm to the seat stays but only about 2-3mm to the chainstays. That was at 16psi with a tube on the stock 29mm internal wheel. I pumped it up to 20psi out of curiosity and the clearance didn't really change.

Food for thought! Pictures tomorrow.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's extremely interesting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    just put the 3rd inline on my enduro 650. truly incredible ride when it's functioning properly. hopefully 3rd time is a charm and it will last.
    If not, would any of you guys with experience go with a DB air cs, or monarch plus rc3 debonair?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    going with a db air cs. anyone having success (or not) with this shock on the enduro?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gosts View Post
    going with a db air cs. anyone having success (or not) with this shock on the enduro?
    I have about 5 rides on mine right now and am still trying to find my happy spot. Cane creek has been a great resource for tuning. I, unlike some others have not found it to be a game changer from stock.

mtbr member
    Db air cs on mine and love it. I also bought the rockshox monarch plus and tried a couple rides on it then went back to the db air cs. For me it's the best and you can dial it to match any terrain which is great here in Europe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I replaced the stock Fox CDT on my 2014 E29 with a rock shocks debonair and it was transformative. The bike ride so much better in every situation unreal. It did take me like 4 months to get it setup right but I'm slow.

I am Specialized
    Just last week replaced the stock Fox Float CTD evolution on my Enduro 650b with the Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 debonair, Speci tune.
    Weighing all kitted up around 210lbs, I am running 290psi on the shock and 11 clicks of rebound at 33% sag.
    On the front the Pike RC has 1 bottomless token and I am running 90psi and 12 clicks of rebound.
    On 3-4foot drops to flat, I get around 50/52 out of 57mm of the stroke. Is this acceptable or should I be getting full travel?
    Should I perhaps lower the pressure front and back?

I am Specialized

New toys...

New upgrade for my Enduro 650b, SRL dropper trigger on Hope Tech 3 matchmaker clamp.
    Excellent quality all-round.

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-speci_srl_trigger_dropper.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice. I've had one for several months and love it! I have Saint brakes, so used a Problem Solvers adapter to mount it to the i-Spec bracket. Honestly, the adapter probably weighs as much as a separate SRAM clamp, but I love the clean look of having less clamps on the bar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel View Post
    Tomorrow I get to demo a new 6 fattie 27.5 stumpy thanks to LTD Cycleworx. Since it's in my garage tonight I figured I'd check it out.

Well guess what, the rear wheel fits in my 2014 E29. I was a little shocked that the boost rear hub fits my drop outs perfectly. I mean much better than the loose fit on my 142mm DT rear hub. With my hub I have to tighten the thru axle for the dropouts to contact the rear hub. Meanwhile the boost hub fits in like the frame was made for it! If I were in the market for a new rear wheel I'd put a boost hub in there for sure.

Well the whole reason I tried to fit the wheel in there in the first place was to see if the 27.5x3.0 rear tire would fit in the frame. It does fit but there isn't much clearance. There's 5mm to the seat stays but only about 2-3mm to the chainstays. That was at 16psi with a tube on the stock 29mm internal wheel. I pumped it up to 20psi out of curiosity and the clearance didn't really change.

Food for thought! Pictures tomorrow.
    interested to know if you look into the enduro 27.5+ any further. I wondered if this could be worth experimenting with. Some 30mm internal rims may just get the right tyre profile.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    just installed db air cs on my 15 enduro 650. so great. much less knocking through the hi speed small bumps/rocks/rooty sections than the inline was (when it was working). i am 160 lbs and it took me 185 psi to get the sag to 15-16mm.
    The climb switch works beautifully. I increased the low speed comp and rebound by a few clicks from stock tune for 2014 enduro 26 and 29.

mtbr member

Official Specialized Enduro Thread

Just last week replaced the stock Fox Float CTD evolution on my Enduro 650b with the Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 debonair, Speci tune.
    Weighing all kitted up around 210lbs, I am running 290psi on the shock and 11 clicks of rebound at 33% sag.
    On the front the Pike RC has 1 bottomless token and I am running 90psi and 12 clicks of rebound.
    On 3-4foot drops to flat, I get around 50/52 out of 57mm of the stroke. Is this acceptable or should I be getting full travel?
    Should I perhaps lower the pressure front and back?
    That seems like allot of air but it all depends on your sag in attack position. I'm 190 kitted up have 2 tokens in fork and run 65 psi and 7 clicks of lsc. Rear I am now running the Debon air 260 psi and 3 of those rubber band air tokens. Granted this is a 26er enduro. She's feeling nice and dialed for these very rooty trails here in Germany
    Last edited by rcjonessnp175; 10-08-2015 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling

I am Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    That seems like allot of air but it all depends on your sag in attack position. I'm 190 kitted up have 2 tokens in fork and run 65 psi and 7 clicks of lsc. Rear I am now running the Debon air 260 psi and 3 of those rubber band air tokens. Granted this is a 26er enduro. She's feeling nice and dialed for these very rooty trails here in Germany
    According to Rockshox this specific Monarch plus RC3 Debonair version has a specialized enduro (650b/29)-specific tune. It has all the rubber bands it can take (9), to be more progressive, due to how linear the suspension curve is of the FSR, in the Enduros.
    I may try lowering the pressure a bit more to see how it works.
    On the Pike I am running only 4 clicks of LSC and 1 token and using 150 out of 160mm travel.

mtbr member
    Cool beans it's always fun finding that sweet spot and once you do it's heaven. I really want to go 650b but convincing the wife is very hard especially after this move.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have also been trying to dial my suspensions for the past 3 months and I think that I am almost there.

Since I am quite heavy (110 kg) I run a lot of psi so what really made a big difference for me what setting the rebound really low. So I run 95-100 psi in the Pike and 6-8 clicks from slow (closed) rebound and 280-290 psi in the Monarch Plus Debonair and 4-6 clicks from slow (closed) rebound.

With this setup the suspensions ride high in their travel and don't kick back too hard so the ride is more controled overall. Unfortunately I don't get full travel so I will try to reduce the psi a little more and see how it rides but I think that I am 90% OK. As for the full travel most probably I don't need it anyway in the areas that I ride and also the 29er wheels help smooth the terrain so the suspensions don't need to work that hard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just converted my enduro 29er to a 650b plus, 32mm inner width carbon rims laced to hope evo2 pro hubs with 3.0 wtb bridgers front and back. Had to shave the knobs a bit on the drive train side so prevent chainsaw rub. But now all is good and the bike is so much more fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Could you please post some photos?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Could you please post some photos?
    was having trouble posting pics on my phone... here goes nothing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2015-10-09-18.10.56.jpg  

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2015-10-09-18.12.00.jpg  

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2015-10-09-18.29.35.jpg  

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2015-10-09-18.28.06.jpg  

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-2015-10-09-18.27.10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @ gpgalanis - are you running any tokens in your fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHeckler View Post
    @ gpgalanis - are you running any tokens in your fork?
    I run one token in my Pike and full bands in the Monarch Plus Debonair. I suppose that I could remove some in order to try to get full travel.
    Last edited by gpgalanis; 10-10-2015 at 01:58 AM.