mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Just what I need. Thanks!
    No prob mate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Guys, how tight should the star nut bolt be tightened? I have it tightened real good, but I can still move the stem around, but there is no play when rockin` the bike back and forth. Is it supposed to be like this on Specialized bikes? On other bikes when its tightened its impossible to move the stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are the bolts on the stem tightened all the way? You shouldn't over tighten the star nut bolt. It should be snugged, then tighten the stem bolts, then check the star nut bolt again, but not over tighten.

I've found it helps to cup your hand around the bottom of the headset where the fork meets to feel for any play. If there is no movement then you are fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I checked my other Specialized bike, and the star nut bolt was hardly tightened at all, but it works fine, and no play when holding around the bottom of the headset. So I guess ill do the same with my new Enduro 650B.

Thanks for reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    First tighten the starnut bolt and then the stem. Also make sure that there is enough space between the top of the steerer tube and the starnut cap so when you tighten it they won't be in contact. If you do all the above properly there shouldn't be any play.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamao View Post
    Guys, how tight should the star nut bolt be tightened? I have it tightened real good, but I can still move the stem around, but there is no play when rockin` the bike back and forth. Is it supposed to be like this on Specialized bikes? On other bikes when its tightened its impossible to move the stem.
    The star nut bolt DOES NOT hold the the stem in place on its own.

With the stem bolts snug but not torqued to spec, (you can still rotate the stem) the star nut bolt and cap are tightened to about 30-50 in/lbs. This puts clamping pressure on the stem which transfers that pressure to the head set bearings.

Make your final stem alignment with the wheel. Tighten the stem bolts to factory spec, usually about 55in/lbs. (Usually etched on the stem). USE A TORQUE WRENCH. Tighten them a little bit each time to bring them up to torque evenly.

The star nut and cap do 2 things; 1) puts clamping pressure on head set as described, and 2) acts as a safety cap to prevent the stem from pulling off.

If you tighten the star nut and cap so tight that you can't rotate the loose stem, you have tightened it too much and can pull out the star nut.
    17 990 Element BC Ed - 24.5 lb (ordered)
    15 Enduro Expert 29, SW build - 27.6
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Got it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'll just leave this here

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-img_0916.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alright so here are my first impressions on my Enduro 29 with only some testing around my home (no trails yet).

I'm a little bit disappointed in the suspension - particularly the rear. I know Fox is generally garbage but compared to my Fox Evolution CTD (same type of shock) on my Giant Trance 27.5 (with 140mm travel), this suspension feels less plush, less supportive, and just a little worse in every way no matter how I adjust it (spent hours trying a wide range of pressure and rebound settings). Now that could simply be down to the FSR suspension compared to the Maestro but I feel like if I had a better shock, it could be tuned to be much better.

I would go with the BOS Kirk but they don't make it fit this bike so I have very limited options it seems. I hear the Monarch Plus DebonAir works well but I don't like the idea of not having much adjustment. I'd get the DBinline but I've heard some very questionable things about that too. The Ohlins would be pretty baller but I think it may be too heavy and expensive for my typical trail usage. What do you think Glen or anyone who has the Ohlins or Monarch DebonAir for this bike?

On the upside, the geometry does feel a lot more confident on this bike compared to my Trance. I think the longer front center is probably the biggest difference. The 29 inch wheels do make it feel bigger and heavier though. However, I noticed the suspension set up effected how tight turns felt so perhaps if I get that right, it'll feel more or less the same as the 27.5 in that regard. But I suspect the real benefits of the 29 inch wheels will show when I get out in the roots and stuff.

There are a lot of other annoyances with drivetrain vibrations and creaks that I'm still sorting out. And I actually just received the new SRAM Guide Ultimates so I'll be putting those on soon. I've never been a fan of Shimano brakes and these stock sets haven't exactly wowed me either.

As a side note, the stock saddle and grips were ridiculously uncomfortable to me so I had to swap those out quick. My bum and hands were hurting badly after only 15 minutes or so. :O

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a problem. My brother just passed me his endure sl pro 2009 carbon frame. Is a non tapered frame. How can I get tapered fork to fit into the headtube? Any solution to this ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Alright so here are my first impressions on my Enduro 29 with only some testing around my home (no trails yet).

I'm a little bit disappointed in the suspension - particularly the rear. I know Fox is generally garbage but compared to my Fox Evolution CTD (same type of shock) on my Giant Trance 27.5 (with 140mm travel), this suspension feels less plush, less supportive, and just a little worse in every way no matter how I adjust it (spent hours trying a wide range of pressure and rebound settings). Now that could simply be down to the FSR suspension compared to the Maestro but I feel like if I had a better shock, it could be tuned to be much better.
    Before dropping $$$ on a new shock, perhaps play with your setup a bit more (air pressure, etc.). It may also need to be broken in. Shocks come notoriously undersupplied with oil, so a service may help. From my experience, FSR on the E29 feels super-plush.

As a side note, the stock saddle and grips were ridiculously uncomfortable to me so I had to swap those out quick. My bum and hands were hurting badly after only 15 minutes or so. :O
    I find the Henge saddle to be one of the most comfortable I've ever had. But they changed it a little from '14 to '15, I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Before dropping $$$ on a new shock, perhaps play with your setup a bit more (air pressure, etc.). It may also need to be broken in. Shocks come notoriously undersupplied with oil, so a service may help. From my experience, FSR on the E29 feels super-plush.
    Yeah, I've gone from stock pressures (auto-sag) in small steps to 35% sag with various rebound settings in descend mode and it's nowhere close to the feel of my Trance. Now, it's true that maybe it needs to be broken in or something (which I think is the case for the fork as it does seem to be getting slightly smoother as I go). I posted earlier that my shock is creaking in the sag portion of the travel so I kind of wonder if there is something wrong with it. I will probably take it off the linkage and check everything out soon because it just doesn't feel right.

I find the Henge saddle to be one of the most comfortable I've ever had. But they changed it a little from '14 to '15, I think.
    Yeah, I heard they did change it and a lot of people don't like the new saddle design. I'm definitely not a fan although it may work for some people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It would be better to actually wait to hit the trails until you make any changes. Having said that I have replaced the stock Fox with a Monarch Plus Debonair and I like it much better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Gap between headset dust cap and top of headtube

I am the owner of a 2010 S Works Enduro. Rather than getting a new bike, I bought a Pike 160 DPA 650b fork. I guess it will be a 26.b bike going forward - has anyone trademarked that yet? Anyway, while installing the new fork, I find I have a slight gap between the headset cap/seal, and the top of the headtube. This gap will not go away, as the compression ring interferes with the cap. When I think about it, I think the gap has been there since I bought the bike used, but it's annoying me now and I want to fix it. I've attached two photos showing the gap, and one with the cap removed. My questions are, is an IS headset bearing supposed to sit that high above the top of the head tube? It's a few mm above the top of the headtube. If that part is right, do I just need a shorter compression ring? Or a taller dust cap? I'm guessing maybe the prior owner replaced some of the headset, but didn't bother with a new cap. That, or it's a different bearing than was spec'd.

Open to suggestions...

Official Specialized Enduro Thread-img_2873.jpgOfficial Specialized Enduro Thread-img_2874.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yesterday. Grand Canyon of Crimea. Russia

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanho View Post
    Attachment 990377

SO heres mine. I got it used and it came with a Debonair rear. However I can't get the dang thing to feel good. I'm running 230psi and I weigh 215. Even with the compression switch in the middle position it bottoms out way too easily. When I pump it through berms it blows so deep into its travel at first I thought the tire was folding over, and on a 5 foot drop to flat it bottom way hard and bucked me over the bars. Any ideas?
    Did did you ever get this worked out? I am thinking about getting a Plus....
    2016 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

mtbr member

Official Specialized Enduro Thread

Sounds like he needs to run more volume spacers and lower the pressure a hair, maybe slow the rebound more if he's getting bucked.. I had a great experience with my debonair last year.. Though I ran mine full of the air volume reducers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Does anyone one here have a verified weight for the medium size Specialized S-works 2014 frame? With or without shock? Thanks

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post

I'm a little bit disappointed in the suspension - particularly the rear.
    Check out the Fox volume spacers.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlenPxC View Post
    I'll just leave this here
    I want one for mine. However I don't want to part with $1700NZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys.

I have a E29 with a Pike RC and Monarch Plus Debonair and I am wondering what are your fork and shock settings?

For me in order to have a plush ride I need to run around 35% sag in the attack position for both the fork and shock but with this sag the pedalling efficiency becomes really bad. I suppose that will have most probably to do with the tokens and reducing bands that are already installed but I find it really hard to find a balance between pedalling efficiency and plush ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Hi guys.

I have a E29 with a Pike RC and Monarch Plus Debonair and I am wondering what are your fork and shock settings?

For me in order to have a plush ride I need to run around 35% sag in the attack position for both the fork and shock but with this sag the pedalling efficiency becomes really bad. I suppose that will have most probably to do with the tokens and reducing bands that are already installed but I find it really hard to find a balance between pedalling efficiency and plush ride.

78 kg 2 tokens Ón the pike 75 psi 2 clicks compression in the debonair 5 redbands 200 psi I only use the full travel in the back on big drops, rest of the time, if the terrain is really steep or im racing iI add 2 more clicks of compression on the pike . I had before the in-line then the double barrel I think personally that the debonair is the best match for the e29. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thank you very much.

I have heard (but never checked) that the Pike has 1 token already installed and that the Debonair is full of volume reducers. Was this the case with you?

As far as I am concerned I am 110kg and I run 75psi in the Pike and 230 in the Debonair and I get around 35% sag but still don't use full travel but I don't do any big drops anyway.

I wonder if for general trail rides it would be better to use no tokens and volume reducers in order to have a more linear feel and usage of full travel?

mtbr member
    Yes my pike came with 1 token and the debonair full of redbands I think 8 I know I took out 3 of them, but defentatly if you want the suspension more linier take a few out,but leave some, you don't want to lose that pop feeling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can't believe this! The 2016 Enduro has been announced and yes it is mostly the same but the top models will come with a new Ohlins TTX Air! I am so happy because I am obviously not satisfied with the stock Fox Float shock that came with my bike and I've always LOVED Ohlins but the coil just seemed like it would probably be too heavy and I didn't like the idea of not being able to fine tune the spring rate.

But I'm also not really satisfied with the other designs of Cane Creek. I really wanted a BOS Kirk or maybe the upcoming Marzocchi 053 S3C2R but it looks like neither will be made for our bike's proprietary mount. So that left me with the RockShox Monarch Plus DebonAir which I went ahead and ordered but I know I will almost certainly desire more adjustability like high and low speed compression.

So this Ohlins TTX air looks like it may be the answer to all of my suspension desires. My only fear is that it will cost unbelievable amounts of money or will have frequent and expensive service intervals that require it to be sent off for a long time.

Anyway, here are the articles: SPOTTED: ÷hlins Air Shock - Pinkbike

Sneak Peek: New Ohlins Air Shock Featured on 2016 Specialized Enduro - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

(It even looks like they are working on an Ohlins air fork!)

And you can see the updated Enduro line up on the German Specialized website here: Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    This site is a little closer to home for all the 2016 Specialized products.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    This site is a little closer to home for all the 2016 Specialized products.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Oh yeah, thanks. I didn't see it in English. So interestingly they call it the "÷hlins STX" with a SINGLE tube, not twin tube. But with the 3 air chambers, that should have very interesting effects and tunability.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks like Specialized fixed their site.

mtbr member
    This isnt that hard... The Enduros will probably get SWAT doors when the engineering team has enough resources (aka quits gherkin it on proprietary road bike parts that will likely be recalled early 2016).
    Second, this shock is specifically designed to deal with outdated bad suspension design. Proprietary mounts, proprietary length/stroke... Exciting! PUSH wont do a shock for the Enduro 650b over 190lb rider weight because the ratio is garbage.
    This shock is a bandaid for bad frame shock rates, not new tech that will have any trickle-down to applly to any other brand bike. I feel sorry Ohlins was talked into working with these clowns.
    Any idiot should deduce that this bike/shock is a complete waste of money until redesigned in 2016. And it will still a be a waste until proprietary mounts and stroke/lengths are gone.
    Way to go Specialized and Ohlins (slow clap......)
    This is what I have seen in the comments section regarding the new Ohlins air shock: [Updated] New Ohlins STX22 Air Shock Featured on 2016 Specialized Enduro - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

Anyone care to comment?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I don't really like Specialized for the proprietary parts and their attitude and also I am not a fan of 29ers but the E29 is the best bike I have ever had. It is that great that I have bought it against all my above mentioned reservations and never looked back.

Having said that hater gonna hate etc.

mtbr member
    I don't really like Specialized for the proprietary parts and their attitude and also I am not a fan of 29ers but the E29 is the best bike I have ever had. It is that great that I have bought it against all my above mentioned reservations and never looked back.

Having said that hater gonna hate etc.
    Every brand has proprietary parts. Some more, some less.

As for Specialized, what proprietary part is restrictive?
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The most important one is the rear shock since due to the yoke you can't put any after market shock that you like.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Direct mount makes far more sense than crappy standard DU's. Sure you can do what Kona does but its not anywhere near as clean. As long as you can get a Monarch you don't need any other shock. They are massively tuneable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Direct mount makes far more sense than crappy standard DU's. Sure you can do what Kona does but its not anywhere near as clean. As long as you can get a Monarch you don't need any other shock. They are massively tuneable.
    Some tuneability, three compression settings, rebound and air pressure? . Well not my Monarch Plus RC3. It's weird, I'll ride it for half a ride and think that is setup perfectly, then I'll hit a section of small roots in quick succession and I swear it's almost locked out. Apparently the Double Barrel coil is now available with the Specialized mount. Only it costs even more than the Ohlins!!

mtbr member
    The most important one is the rear shock since due to the yoke you can't put any after market shock that you like.
    Let me see . . . so far the Enduro 29 and 650b with custom yoke mounting, has come with various air shocks from: Fox, CC Double Barrel, CC Inline, Rockshox and now an Ohlins. On the coil side there is Fox and Ohlins.

WTF else is there to choose from!
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Let me see . . ..
    WTF else is there to choose from!
    I guess you could consider that it rules out putting one on that you already own...
    I think my list was
    Air
    Fox CTD $300US
    Cane Creek DB $700US
    Cane Creek Inline $540US
    Rock Shox Monarch RC $430US

Fox Vanilla RC
    Cane Creek DB Coil ($1000US?)
    Ohlins TTX 22M $850US
    Elevensix $1200US

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have already put a Monarch Plus Debonair but it was PITA to find one. Anyway regardless of its benefits the yoke is still a limiting proprietary part and I don't like them.

But the E29 is a fantastic bike so I don't complain.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    Some tuneability, three compression settings, rebound and air pressure? . Well not my Monarch Plus RC3. It's weird, I'll ride it for half a ride and think that is setup perfectly, then I'll hit a section of small roots in quick succession and I swear it's almost locked out. Apparently the Double Barrel coil is now available with the Specialized mount. Only it costs even more than the Ohlins!!
    Three air can size options. Multiple compression/rebound tunes. Plus all the on trail stuff you mentioned. No other shock is as tuneable. Send it to good suspension service centre with your issues and see what they can do. Lots of guys have to change the compression tune as the leverage rate is quite flat which is typical for Specialized.

mtbr member
    I guess you could consider that it rules out putting one on that you already own...
    I think my list was
    Air
    Fox CTD $300US
    Cane Creek DB $700US
    Cane Creek Inline $540US
    Rock Shox Monarch RC $430US

Fox Vanilla RC
    Cane Creek DB Coil ($1000US?)
    Ohlins TTX 22M $850US
    Elevensix $1200US
    If you have all these already, how can you possibly be lacking in options?

I realize you don't have all these, but you pointed out a substantial list of available options with custom yoke. Yup, they are expensive! If you can't be happy with any of these 7 options, perhaps you should ride rigid for a while.

The chances of bringing ANY shock with you to your next bike is pretty much impossible with any brand, regardless of mounting options. Too many variables. And why would you if you bought the newest latest and greatest frame you get the latest shock technology at that price point. I have a box of old shocks. I'll send them to you.

Yes I'm being sarcastic and poking fun, but there is no point here suggesting a lack of options for the Specialized Enduro yoke.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    I have a box of old shocks. I'll send them to you.
    Yes I'm being sarcastic and poking fun, but there is no point here suggesting a lack of options for the Specialized Enduro yoke.
    I was listing them for the sake of the forum. Have you got an old Romic in your box? I'm trying to find one about 190mm...
    I am curious about the Double Barrel Coil. My local dealer wouldn't tell me how much it was, only said that it says even more than the Ohlins (which was $1700NZ or with our exchange rates, $1100US).

mtbr member
    . . . . .
    I am curious about the Double Barrel Coil. My local dealer wouldn't tell me how much it was, only said that it says even more than the Ohlins (which was $1700NZ or with our exchange rates, $1100US).
    DB coil is an awesome shock. So many DH riders use it, can only image the ride quality and control on a Enduro 29.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    DB coil is an awesome shock. So many DH riders use it, can only image the ride quality and control on a Enduro 29.
    Yep but asking more than Ohlins? I can only think it's a recent thing, as for as long as I've had my bike (14 E26) Cane Creek's website has a "does not fit" for Specialized. I guess the issue for me is that we've seen coil move away from being a default option to a boutique purchase. Obviously air is brilliant for product managers (weight savings) and for adjusting settings for different terrain and rider weight. However I like to set and forget. Don't get me wrong, the bike is brilliant, plenty of grip, light and as hard hitting as my old SX and nearly as capable as my old DH bikes.
    I've been umming and ahhing about Ohlins for awhile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys. Since we speak about proprietary parts can I use a standard 142x12 wheel in my E29 142x12+ frame?

I have heard that I can do it but I just want some additional confirmation from someone who actually did it.

mtbr member
    Hi guys. Since we speak about proprietary parts can I use a standard 142x12 wheel in my E29 142x12+ frame?
    As far as I'm aware you can, you'll just have to adjust your rear derailleur as your cassette will now be sitting inboard slightly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Don't get me wrong, the bike is brilliant, plenty of grip, light and as hard hitting as my old SX and nearly as capable as my old DH bikes
    Agree 100% with this comment. I sold my SX (2010) to buy the E26 and my Demo hasn't seen much use since.

In terms of the shock, still running the 2013 DBAir and couldn't ask for better performance. Honestly, once I set to my preference the performance has been truly unbelievable and just takes a little air pressure change from time to time to suit the terrain I am riding.

I run the coil version on my Demo and the Air is just as good. After riding other bikes owned by friends, I still find the E26 is THE beast!

Like Mudguard25 said, there are many option available if you wish to change, haters just want to hate and complaint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Guys it is not a matter of hate towards Specialized but more towards all companies that use proprietary parts.

For example I have put a Monarch Plus Debonair (that as I mentioned was a PITA to find) but on the other side I can't sell the stock Fox shock because there is limited to no demand for it because it is only E29 compatible.

My Roval Fatties are great wheels but again due to their 142x12+ hubs I won't be able to sell them if I want to upgrade my current wheelset.

So on top of the restrictions that proprietary parts have when you want to upgrade them there also additional restrictions when you try to sell them.

And the same applied to Giant in the past with their Overdrive 2 steerers and also applies to companies like Trek, Scott etc and honestly I just don't like it.

However and I will say it once again despite all the above I decided to buy the E29 because I think that it is a fantastic bike and I didn't regret it. But I would have been much more happier if it didn't have any proprietary parts.

mtbr member
    Guys it is not a matter of hate towards Specialized but more towards all companies that use proprietary parts.
    Oh I feel your pain. I debated for a long time when buying my bike. I don't think any of my previous Specialized bikes had any proprietary parts. Maybe my 04 Big Hit with the 24" rear wheel.
    To the change the shock link was completely unnecessary and just forced you into buying a new shock if you didn't like the stock one.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh I feel your pain. I debated for a long time when buying my bike. I don't think any of my previous Specialized bikes had any proprietary parts. Maybe my 04 Big Hit with the 24" rear wheel.
    To the change the shock link was completely unnecessary and just forced you into buying a new shock if you didn't like the stock one.
    If you didn't like any stock shock would you not be forced into buying a new one?

The proprietary Specialized link design is great which is why a number of companies are copying it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    They copy the linkage not the link. Anyway we all all love our E29 so no need to keep discussing it.

PS. What is the max rotor size that I can use in the back? Can it take 200mm?
    Last edited by gpgalanis; 07-26-2015 at 04:33 PM.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wrong. Many designs. Ibis, Kona, Devinci etc now have DU'less clevis links.